Got Linux?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Rustoleum do you use?

• Profssional

• Painter's Touch

• Stops Rust

• Other

• Profssional

• Painter's Touch

• Stops Rust

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

cydermaster

Reaction score
I know there are few of us here with Linux of some form or other.

I just wondered what you do with it?

It would be cool to know everybodies distro flavour too, so post it if you fancy. I'm on Fedore 3.

Linux Fedora Core 2 on my laptop at work (primary machine). Also Fedora Core 2 on each node of my 5-node dual-opteron cluster at work (kicking some booty on a bunch of runs right now). Windoze at home, but dual-boot to Fedora Core 3 for working at home when I forget my laptop.

EDIT: Oh...and I should also mention that we're playing with Linux variants like Knoppix that will allow us to boot our co-workers' Windoze PC's into Linux for overnight runs as an extension of our cluster.

Just installed Fedora COre 3 on a spare comp (literally 20 minutes ago!). Just got it to see what all the fuss from andysrockets and Cydermaster is all about ;) . So far I like what I see, could be hard to convince the rest of the family to make the switch though.

Phil

Originally posted by Dr Wogz

Lie nux? or leeeneex?! or le-nex?

I believe it is Lih-nix (short i's).

I remember once stumbling upon a Linux faq on the internet that had a recording of Linus Torvalds saying "Linux" to demonstrate the correct pronunciation. Pretty sure it was Lih-nix.

Taken from https://www.linux.org/info/index.html:
Many people are not sure of the pronunciation of the word Linux. Although many variations of the word exist, often due to native language factors, it is normally pronounced with a short " i " and with the first syllable stressed, as in LIH-nucks. You can hear how Linux creator Linus Torvalds pronounces the word in Swedish and in English .

The recording is here

Hth

Phil

I voted use it as a black box, as it forms part of the smoothwall firewall I run.
We also use it at work, for server-type applications where it makes perfect sense. Where I don't use it, is as a desktop, though I've tried on a number of occasions. It's just too much like hard work. As I never tire of saying "linux isn't ready for me yet".

Linux user since Slackware, with kernel 1.2 :)

Destop = Fedora Core 2
Laptop = Fedora Core 1 + Win2K dual boot
Server = Redhat 7.2 (but due an upgrade when I get around to it).

Lappy is the one with all the windows essentials (Rocksim, RDAS, Altacc, Perfectflite, oh and Firefox), mainly cos it came with a licence.

Why pay $250 for an XP Pro licence for the $500 desktop just to edit the occaisional word doc or rocksim file?

Not on this comp (family PC) but I'm going to get it for my hobby room computer. WHen I get it hooked up. And a nother hard drive (it's 4, yes four gigs) so I wanna upgrade to 80, some new RAM, cd burner, better soundcard, etc etc etc etc etc.

Blue

I run mostly MS, but I do have Mandrake and SUSE installed as virtual servers on my main server at home. Its running Server2003 but has MS virtual server 2005 installed. I keep planning to install Apache on the virtual linux and play around with it but other projects keep coming up.
I have Knoppix on CD that I run from time to time on my NB, pretty neat to boot and run from a CD, had to jump through a bunch of hoops to get XP to do that. Also Knoppix correctly loaded my WiFi drivers which amazed me.

I dont use Linux....

I DO run apache and php and mysql on a windows box.

does that count??

later
Jerryb

Suse Linux v9.1 Professional is used here on two machines. One is an apache/PHP Webserver.

The other is my main PC that I am typing on now, however this one uses dual boot with XP up most of the time...like now.

Carl

Been a Linux (ab)user since about 1997. There's a reason
I scored as the 'Nerd King God'. :)

Here at the house I have four PC's each with Linux as the
only OS. Two other PC's dual boot into W95, but Linux
is the primary. If only I could get rid of Quicken! :/

I'm running Debian (my current fav), Mandrake and RedHat
and a hacked up (not-CRacked) version of the smoothwall firewall.
One of these days I'll switch over to the IPCop project.

For a 'live-CD' distro I regularly use Knoppix-STD (Security Tools
Distribution). I actually prefer the earlier beta version (with KDE)
not the current v0.1 release (with Fluxbox).

My office laptop is Debian and W2K. I support more Linux servers
(Debian & RH) than Sun Solaris these days- I don't have enough
fingers to count'em all.

I've also been known to virtualize a machine or three, using VMWare
or User Mode Linux.

Slackware user since v. 2 download all 11 or 14 floppy images to install)
Was on muLinux development & translation team.
Had Red hat, but now I own a Sun release of SuSe with the Java Desktop. Many much easier to use. I've done my time hacking kernal and configuring. Now I just want it to go.

Man, I can't believe that I'm the lone Mandrake Linux user... I've used in in varying levels for the past 2 years or so at least. IMHO, it's the most polished of the more popular distros out there (I know 'cause I tried 'em all). It comes with tons of apps preinstalled. I am aware but am willing to live with that it can be sometimes difficult to get new apps working with Mandrake...but as I already mentioned, since it comes with so many from the start, it's usually not a big deal.

It works. It's reliable. It doesn't crash. It's linux. 'Nuff said :D

I almost gave Mandrake a go this install.

I've got a spare 40gb hdd comming my way in a few weeks, so I may give it a go!

We've been playing around with various distros lately. My slave...err...subordinate!...accidentally issued "rm -rf *" from his home directory, so we took this as an opportunity to try other distros. Can't remember if Mandrake was one of them. Basically, all I want is a distro that's stable, compatible, and uses the features of my Dell Latitude D800 laptop without forcing me to recompile the kernel (that's where I draw the line...).

Hmmm... counts... two desktops, three servers, one laptop, no THREE desktops, one handheld, no FOUR servers if you include the furnace. Seven of those are on 24/7, all run Linux. Um, I think I have two more desktops in the back that run Linux also.

Of course, I work for Red Hat Inc ;-)

Oh, plus four SGIs (two of which work) three Windows boxen, five more handhelds, and four or more embedded development boards. And a watch.

And I'm ordering another Linux desktop shortly.

The spare hdd has come my way quicker than I thought it would, so I downloaded Mandrake 10.1 today at work, and I'm about to fiddle with the cables in my box, and try it out. :D

I forgot to mention that another reason why I like Mandrake is that I found that it usually had the "latest & greatest" drivers too so I have had much luck in getting it to work with new(er) hardware. The hardware detection in particular worked much like (dare I blaspheme) M$ is capable of. Mandrake also has whatever the latest kernel available is at the time of its release too. While you can update packages individually on an as-needed basis, I have also successfully upgraded from the CDs over the past several releases--which gives me the newer stuff en mass...

Also, it totally escaped me until now but for quite a while I did use Debian. I found it to be for the "techie elite" (although not nearly as challenging as a distro like Slackware) and enjoyed rolling up my sleeves to get into the nitty gritty bits of the Linux OS. Plus when it worked, it frankly ran circles around the other popular distros performance-wise. Programs loaded & compiled noticably faster on the same hardware when used with Debian. I however, eventually gave up on Debian because I found that I was spending more time configuring stuff with it than actually using it. :rolleyes: YMMV.

Well ... my first impressions of Mandrake are "wow, cool, and bugger": Wow and cool 'cos it plays anythng you throw at it, and I mean anything: divx,mp3,etc. But bugger 'cos I can't get online. I've done a google, and got some pointers, so I'm gonna try again.

....and here I am via Mandrake! :D The advise I found on using kppp to connect with worked :D

No Firefox though! :grumble:

why no firefox?

I had a question to you smoothwall guru's (anyone that actually knows the term qualifies as a guru compared to me). Someone suggested to me that I could use 2 NIC cards in a linux box running smoothwall just after a cable modem, and just before my 802.11g router at my home. What are the benefits to this if I have a hardware firewall in the router?

Originally posted by OccamMD
why no firefox?

I had a question to you smoothwall guru's (anyone that actually knows the term qualifies as a guru compared to me). Someone suggested to me that I could use 2 NIC cards in a linux box running smoothwall just after a cable modem, and just before my 802.11g router at my home. What are the benefits to this if I have a hardware firewall in the router?

Mandrake comes with Mozilla, but doesn't have Firefox. Similar but NOT the same :rolleyes: I'm sure a little bit of looking around should reveal it though...

A dedicated machine acting as a router makes it a hardware based firewall by design--what a benefit! :) They are much more robust & reliable than a software firewall and/or a dedicated home firewall router (like the Linksys BEFSR41), plus it can do NAT (network address translation), which in simple english means Internet connection sharing. You can even go so far as to have it filter or limit access to websites (like blocking adult sites if you have children using the computer, etc.) They can also log traffic (incoming & outgoing), log hacker attempts, etc.

Most home users do not use one merely because of the cost and resources (you're dedicating a computer to the cause) along with the potential (but typically only initial) administrative overhead with configuration.

If you have the time & resources & are looking for a bit of a challenge, then go for it. You will learn incredible amounts of knowledge about how computers talk to one another.

HTH,

I'd like to, I'm fairly computer literate, did a lot of Sun Unix in the 80's and early 90's, so it may take a little while to get back up to speed. I use firefox, thunderbird, and open office on my MS machines so they should translate directly.

I've set up the network, still struggling w/the MAC and MS machines talking to my linkstation net drive, but getting through it. I've got a new network printer so that should be a joy to share as well.

I am very interested in "Nanny" type internet blocking software for my son. Is there something available I can stick in the Linux machine that is either free or purchasable that has fairly regular updates for filtering?

Originally posted by OccamMD
why no firefox?

If you are not running any web servers, FTP, etc at home (no ports forwarded in router) then an additional firewall buys you very little in real terms. Anyone running a port scan on your IP would find everything either "stealthed" or "closed" depending on the router and thats the end of that. If you have any openings (ports forwarded) to services inside then a "real" firewall can get you additional protection. Many consumer class routers depend solely on NAT (network address translation) or have very limited SPI (stateful packet inspection) for their "firewall". Better firewalls (such as smoothwall) give you much more control over what is or isn't allowed.
Oh one last thing, if you are running AIM (or other messenger) or Kazzaa (or other P2P) all this is moot, you have opened the door to the angry hordes and are vulnerable.
see:
https://www.networkmagazine.com/article/NMG20020206S0005
and
https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1159152,00.asp

I sometimes use the web version of AIM, is this still the case? I don't load AIM on the machine.

My router is a Buffalo Wi-FI 802.11g know anything about it's firewall?. The ability to log net activity would be beneficial to me, so maybe it's worth doing.

Question, will Unreal Tournament 2004, or any games similar to that install on a Linux system? I'm not wanting to play them, just trying to setup a game server. Would that work?

Cheers,

Phil

Latest posts

Back