Getting Started in NAR competition (Was October Fly VI)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketbiker

Reaction score
In the former thread, AKPILOT has expressed a desire to receive mentoring in the area of getting started in NAR competition. Since I would consider myself to be a seasoned competitor and veteran contest director, I thought starting a fresh thread on this topic would be a good idea. This way those of us here experienced in NAR comp can impart wisdom, or you may receive wisdom if you find your self lacking thereof.

So post your questions and let the discussion begin.

I'll start.

Question one. Who is interested in this discussion?

Question two. If you are interested in NAR comp what is your general geographic location? (e.g. I am located in the St Louis area)

Rocketbiker

Houston, TX area. A little later, I'll post a handy link that should be of great
help.

I'm interested; I'm in Western New York (Jamestown/Buffalo/Erie area), just a few minutes from the PA line.

I fly in contests once in a while, based in Cincinnati OH but I've been known to make 4-6 hour drives to regionals. I'd be glad to pitch in any avice or help I can.

--Chan Stevens

We're pretty active in NAR Sanctioned competition in the Texas areas (mostly
in the Houston/Dallas/Austin/San Antonio areas). Here's a website that's
maintained by Lee James (NAR # 15058 SR) that packs tons of info on upcoming contests as well as tips, how to's, online copy of Pink Book, etc
that should help most everything you need to know about competition NAR
style.

https://www.tccnar.org

Hope this helps.

Footnote: My Team, the Battlerock Warriors, is pretty active in competition
in the Houston area. Last year, we made the top 10 in the final rankings
with only 9 Contest Factors and no trip to NARAM. Total points earned
was 4764......

We are new to rocketry.
That being said, we haven't joined a local club, mainly because the local club is two hours away (each direction). We are the central Phoenix area.
I am interested in learning about competition/s though.

- Breeze

We are new to rocketry.
That being said, we haven't joined a local club, mainly because the local club is two hours away (each direction). We are the central Phoenix area.
I am interested in learning about competition/s though.

- Breeze

Are you a member of NAR? If so, and given the distance to your nearest NAR chapter, consider finding other NAR members within easy driving distance and forming your own chapter. Just check the NAR website - it has a wealth of info about forming a NAR chapter.

Once you have done so, your new chapter can start holding their own contests locally. Don't worry about your lack of experience - I'm sure there are people from nearby chapters who would be more than happy to come over and help you get started.

Or course, there are a few things you'll need to hold a contest: Launch site (naturally! :D), several launch pads and/or towers, launch controller to handle several launch pads, a few walkie-talkies and several stopwatches. You can always add more stuff (tracking scopes for altitude events, PA systems for larger events, etc. later) As far as advice goes, don't worry - you'll find plenty of it here for the asking! ;)

I 've just been back as an NAR member for two weeks now. I just competed in my first NAR competition in Denver , CO on November 11, 2007 since I had last competed in NARAM 3 in 1961. Great fun. I got a renewed passion about rocketry since the NAR is celebrating their 50th anniversary.

For the last two weeks I was building rockets to enter 6 events at BRMM-III, and although they all got off the ground, I was only happy with 8 out of 11 flights. Clusters always haunted me when I was 14 as well. After one week of building the old school method, I visited a local member of C.R.A.S.H. (the Denver club) to see his stuff and then re-built them all over again. I'm definitely a rookie again so I can identify with you starting out from scratch This is what I learned yesterday.

Find someone to tag along with (as long as you don't get in their way). I showed up and waited for some sort of meeting (rules and procedures) but everyone just started putting their rockets on the available rods and started flying. There is no order in smaller regional meets, unless there is an altitude event which needs tracking station operators. If you can, register for the event or have your paper work filled out before you get there. It very simple, but you don't want to be doing that when you could be prepping rockets.

1) Go look at the competitors rockets as soon as you can before you start building.
2) Get white tubes from Apogee and fiberglass fins from ASP. Use mostly medium CA.
3) Build two rockets of everything. The hosting club will tell you in advance what classes they will be flying, and every meet will have similar, but different classes, so I suspect we are going to end up with a LOT of rockets by NARAM 50.
4) Since you are given two flights in every class (except for parachute spot landing) launching them close together in time sends you out looking for them twice. I shot two C streamer duration models up and then went to chase them. They both landed a half-mile away, but within 50 yards of each other. I'm 60, and although I like the forced exercise, I needed time to prep the other rockets. Plus the wind changed direction by 90 degrees within an hour so I would have doubled my walking distance.
5) make sure your rockets stay together and that they can be seen. Use a light coat of Florescant paint and black somewhere. Visability is more important than altitude or duration right now. At this point you need to build points by having all your flights qualified, and if they can't see them at altitude or off in the distance in duration or if you can't find the beast to bring back you're DQ'd (disqualified).
6) don't try to stuff too much parachute or streamer in your rocket (for duration events) until you get a feel for what works. If they don't unfold its worse than having smaller versions. I had a 7x70" .5 mil streamer folded lengthwise into an 18mm tube which basically stayed folded at 3.5" so I lost the advantage of the increased surface area drag. If I had made the rocket 2" longer, I could have left it in a 7" roll. FYI- you're supposed to fan-fold these things nowadays. :eek:
7) make a large rocket, with a little motor for spot landing events. I had a really clean rocket that went up so far, the wind made it impossible to get it to come down close to the flag.
8) Make sure your expended motors stay in the rocket and you have a secondary tie down for your shock cord. I had two rockets where the kevlar cord burned through.

FYI - We saw two new NAR records at this meet by really ugly looking rockets that were visable both on the ground and in the sky.

Everybody else can chime in.

mike

I am interested, unfortunately there is little if any interest within our section (SOLAR). I believe my nearest opportunity would be in the Houston area. Anyway, I am in Baton Rouge....I will be watching this thread for info.

In the former thread, AKPILOT has expressed a desire to receive mentoring in the area of getting started in NAR competition. Since I would consider myself to be a seasoned competitor and veteran contest director, I thought starting a fresh thread on this topic would be a good idea. This way those of us here experienced in NAR comp can impart wisdom, or you may receive wisdom if you find your self lacking thereof.

So post your questions and let the discussion begin.

I'll start.

Question one. Who is interested in this discussion?

Question two. If you are interested in NAR comp what is your general geographic location? (e.g. I am located in the St Louis area)

Rocketbiker

I am interested, unfortunately there is little if any interest within our section (SOLAR). I believe my nearest opportunity would be in the Houston area. Anyway, I am in Baton Rouge....I will be watching this thread for info.

Anyway, it doesn't take that much to run a competition. If you have 3 people who are interested in participating, you can run a contest. You need three B/C you need 3 for the contest jury!

Once you have a few people, pick some events and submit a sanction application. Once you have a sanction you can run the contest.

Try it, it's not that hard.

Rocketbiker

Back