GeeMan G impulse Tripoli Handicap record

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is a Handicap Record? Is it like Golf?
Years ago Tripoli came up with this category that allows people with limited size fields to participate.
The G impulse requires a rocket of 2.5" minimum diameter with a length of no less than 24" at that diameter.
Larger impulse categories require larger minimums.

Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 6.22.22 PM.png

Congrats again Steve! Heard it was windy yesterday. Think you lost much altitude?

Not much. Minimum weather cocking. We had a 2 day launch. Today was 6 kts

Congrats, my g-handicap is only in the planning stages right now. What was your motor, AT G75?
I did a quick Sim flight on the AT G75 on my rocket. It comes out very close to the CTI.
I went with the CTI because I have the hardware.
Once again, Good Luck.

Years ago Tripoli came up with this category that allows people with limited size fields to participate.
The G impulse requires a rocket of 2.5" minimum diameter with a length of no less than 24" at that diameter.

View attachment 456478

Am I reading that right?

J max total impulse = 640N??? K max total impulse = 1280???

I must not have access to these special motors because I can't find a J motor with a total impulse below 640 or a K motor total impulse below 1280.

This can't be a typo from Tripoli as it surely has been reviewed over and over and over.

I guess that's why NAR has been working on their's for years

View attachment 456478

Very cool concept I've never heard of. I happen to be NAR only and am not overly interested in trying a record as there are a lot of much better engineers, builders and fliers than I am out there, but this concept is smart and allows a level of accessibility that rewards people who do have field limitations etc. Good work Tripoli and good work Mr. Boetto! Also, thanks for the post, as I never would have learned about the concept. Who knew, sometimes the internet.com can be useful!

Sandy.

The single stage altitude for H is is over 10k' and I at 15k+ there are few locations east of the Mississippi where a regular record with an HPR record can be set.
The Handicapped class was originally called Large Rocket with essentially the same rules.
Recently there has been activity in records, this one, a couple cluster records and I Handicap. I have been doing the H and I Handicap record for many years, can use the same airframe. I have G and I near ready to launch.
With lower impulse classes light weight is critical, I rocket is about 3 pounds on the pad. Using a fiberglass tube kit won’t even get close.

I'm a reasonably intelligent guy.

I've reviewed the NAR records, and I can't make heads nor tails out of what they mean.

Why can't there just be one record - 1/2A thru O total impulse, a simple list so I can look at say, "G" and know the altitude record for a "G", based on max nSec for a G? Small field, big field, egg loft, anything, just an impulse and the record?

I would love the challenge of a "G" impulse record, but there are so many categories, I can't even see what I have to beat.

12 different classes, specifics, makes the whole idea of an altitude record meaningless. And frustrating.

I want to see;

"G" total impulse - 11,000ft.

Simple

Last edited:
NAR only recognizes to G motors.
There are age classes adding to number of records.

TRA leaves old records posted for historical information.

If you want change you should become a member of the committee.
Or are you just talking?

M

NAR only recognizes to G motors.
There are age classes adding to number of records.

TRA leaves old records posted for historical information.

If you want change you should become a member of the committee.
Or are you just talking?

M

Sorry if I did not make it clear - I'll try again.
There should be altitude records per impulse class. Period.

A nice simple list, 1/2A to O, stating altitude record. That simple.

12 pages of classes & categories makes it impossible for me to determine what the record is for a G motor flight. There should be no handicap. There should be no age ranges.

Breaking it down to 38 different categories makes it all meaningless. Just my humble opinion

I cannot be the only one that feels this way. World record Tuna size caught in the ocean does not give a damn about the anglers age, state of origin, or rod size. How big was it? Nice & simple. Altitude records in rocketry should be the same, dividing into countless catagories makes it all meaningless.

Essentially every competition is broken down into classes. Cars don’t show up at Indianapolis with Run What Ya Brung.

"..Essentially every competition is broken down into classes..."

Totally agree. The classes should be motor impulse. Period. I can't for the life of me figure out what number I'm supposed to beat with a total impulse of "G".

I cannot be the only one that feels this way. World record Tuna size caught in the ocean does not give a damn about the anglers age, state of origin, or rod size. How big was it? Nice & simple. Altitude records in rocketry should be the same, dividing into countless catagories makes it all meaningless.

Oh but there are classes for catching tuna.
https://igfa.org/world-record-requirements/

I've made my argument. It has not been accepted. I'm sorry for that, because it ruins a part of my hobby, potential Altitude records. You win, I'll just keep flying.

As an aside, is there a simple "g" impulse altitude record, or are there 15 categories? If there is a simple number can somebody tell me what it is?

Very cool concept I've never heard of. I happen to be NAR only and am not overly interested in trying a record as there are a lot of much better engineers, builders and fliers than I am out there, but this concept is smart and allows a level of accessibility that rewards people who do have field limitations etc. Good work Tripoli and good work Mr. Boetto! Also, thanks for the post, as I never would have learned about the concept. Who knew, sometimes the internet.com can be useful!

Sandy.
Sandy
You do not have to be the best builder or engineer. Most times records are due to luck with the weather or other factors. If you are interested you should give it a try. With the Handicap category you can participate even from most mid power fields.

I totally disagree, especially the tuna record.

To say what you said turns your nose up at so many different class record holders. Anyone can haul a fish in on 500 pound line. The challenge is a 400 pound fish on 20 pound line. As stated above, IGFA has many, many records per line class.
You should really check it out, not just scoff at something you know nothing about.

It would be extremely exclusive to just have "record height per Impulse".
The handicap class is great. Especially for those of us east of the Mississippi river where we may never fly at a field with unlimited ceiling. I don't like the 2 hour drive (one way) to launch where we do, with only a 9,000 foot ceiling, so I never see a trip to launch in Nevada or Colorado in our future.

Being able to hear the announcer say "up next, we have a record attempt" is great.
My daughter loves it, and loves telling her friends about it.

Back