G10 Fin Help Needed

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iqsy59

Reaction score
OK...so most of my kits are scale or sport scale and I want them to be as accurate as possible. I'm sure the answer is hidden in posts somewhere, but I haven't been successful in finding it.

My original plan was to just put a 10 degree bevel on them using the method described at jcrocket. I built the jig and practiced on scrap wood and got pretty good at it. At least I thought I was until I actually tried it using G10. I failed and promptly had to order a replacement fin from Madcow.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that even bevelling will not get me where I want to be. So now I'm thinking about laminating basswood onto the G10 to approach scale thickness, sanding proper fin contours onto the wood, and then reinforcing the edges with a thin layer of glass.

I would like input on whether this is a viable solution or if there are better techniques out there. I have about 20 sets of fins so far that I want to detail, so I would like an efficient method that won't sacrifice the scale appearance too much. Any thoughts?

First up...Madcow 2.6" FG Black Brant II for my L1 certification...

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
I'm guessing by the lack of response that this was a silly idea. I would be very interested in hearing how you guys do your scale fins. Keep in mind, I have neither the skill nor the equipment to build up hundreds of ribs at varying thicknesses!

Cheers,
Michael

No good reason why it wouldn't work. They do similar practices with wood/FG cores and then foam...

Later!

--Coop

Back