G10 fin bevel cleanup - what's a good tool to use?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeltaVee

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've got these G10 fins that have their leading edge beveled... just two things that are a bit"off".
1) the beveled surface is quite rough and I think could use some smoothing.
2) more unfortunate is that the bevel isn't quite straight:

20220805_205345.jpg

I tried using a clamped vibrating sander but it's impossible to get any precision and it's incredibly slow. Not to mention it nearly rattles the eyeballs out of my head! Does anyone have any suggestions of a better tool or something that could smooth the surface and perhaps get the bevel more uniform?

I don't have (or have room for) a router, so I'm looking to perhaps a file of some kind (not afraid of manual labor as long as decent progress can be made!)

Last edited:
The Dubro Kwik Sand sanding bars are pretty sweet. Best current shipped price is on fleabay. (I bought one this morning.)

I always sand G10 wet if at all possible to contain the dust. And use gloves to keep the glass out of my skin.

An aggressive grit to start blocking and truing up the part, then work your way down once it's the shape you want it.

Back