G10 Bonding... Whats enough?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jraice

Reaction score
Whats enough sanding for G10 bonding to epoxy and to fiberglass reinforcements?

I am sanding my centering rings, motor tube and fins for internal fillets and glass reinforcements but sanding just doesnt seem to do a hole lot... 60 grit removed the shine but the parts still feel pretty smooth (not glass smooth but not rough)... I also used a saw to scratch it a bit deeper but I want the entire surface a bit better...

Tomorrow I am going to try some 40 grit or 36 grit but what is enough?

Thanks

I take some 60 grit, and it doesn't take long. Don't sand for too long, but press pretty hard when you sand. It should gain a fairly rough texture. That's always been enough for me...

So hard but short sanding? Ill try that with 40 and just call it good enough...

I got the shine off so it should bond pretty well and with the surface area of glass vs.'s just a fillet it should be real solid... The rings are a bit harder to prep but there is not a huge amount of force on them so it should be fine.

So what would you compare the finished surface to? I'd say mine feels something like a platic mouse pad, just a few very small bumps but otherwise pretty clear... I just sanded until it went from the shiney greenish color to a less shiney and more white transparent color...

you could always drill some 1/8" holes along the root so it holds epoxy.

Ben

Usually, the finished surface when ready for bonding is fairly well scratched - it feels pretty rough. Try it with the 40 grit and see how it goes.

Thanks I got some 50 grit, feels rough... Ill give that a try and then just go for it...

I may drill holes Ben but JB weld is pretty thick so I doubt it would penetrate to deep... Maybe Ill drill like semi holes (not all the way threw) just to give little pockets for it to grab to though...

I'd go with that - if it feels pretty rough, you should be good.

As for the drilled holes - I've done that before - it can work pretty well (though I've usually done it with expanding foam)

I use a hand sander/grinder with some alligator back on it. Alligator back is what I call the 16 grit I have. Works great.

Edward

Back