FSI OSO Kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobby_hamill

Reaction score
Been looking at some old OSO kit photos and one question pops up.
The decal showing a large bird holding a model rocket in it's talons.
Was this an original FSI decal ? If not anyone know the source from which it came from ?

The decal in question is circled in red in the attached photo

Thanks Bobby

Bird source.jpg

Well on this eBay site it has an OSO kit for sale that doesn't have it: Ebay OSO 1
On this one it does have it: Ebay OSO 2
I think the second one is a newer version. (Still old because flight systems is out of business)

Getting ready to start on the 2 different versions of the OSO decals
One will just have the wedges where the payload section meets the main air-frame and
on each of the 3 fins. Will also have OSO and Flight Systems on the main air-frame.

The second will have the bird holding the rocket in it's talons. OSO and the roll pattern
Now to break out the straight edge and the 0.2mm mechanical pencil and get to work.

Bobby

starting on OSO bird.jpg

I sure wish you lived next door to me so that you could show me how you put all those graphics into the open rocket program.

The red triangles between the payload and main air-frame made me loose a few hand fulls of hair. Then I figured out about the
"clamp edge pixels" option and after that everything just fell into place.

My last version of the FSI OSO will be from the FSI 1970s catalog that used the "old school decals"
to give the kit the early days look. This is what it is supposed to look like below . The fins and nosecone will
be painted black. But if I was flying her I would paint the fins and nosecone in a fluorescent orange color to
help with recovery. And with it being labeled USAF the b/w checker board pattern would be red and white checkerboard
like the early USAF water towers were painted 👍

OSO  Old School 1970FSI Catalog flipped.jpg

@ Hobie1dog

Basically with the decals you take the diameter and the length of the rocket you want decals for
and come up with 2 measurements . Then you use these 2 measurements to construct a surface aria
in any photo editor . Gimp works well and what you draw in the surface aria will be your "sheet of paper"
this "sheet of paper" will be then used by open rocket and wrapped around the air frame

As an example the lower air frame on the FSI is outside diameter = 1.17 and the length is 18 inches . I half to look up the formula
you use to convert length and diameter but the results you get are a sheet of paper "drawing aria " of 367 wide and 1800 long
Then you go to MS Paint and scale your drawing aria to 367 x 1800 . Then you can draw or copy and paste items to that surface aria.

Then you import the image "sheet of paper" into open rocket and open rocket wraps the "sheet of paper" around the air frame.

Let me dig up the conversion formula for the diameter and length to the "sheet of paper" length and width .

I made a booboo and numbers have been corrected

Payload section
6 " long 1.17" diameter
"Sheet of paper" = 600pixels long and 367pixels wide

Main air frame
18" long 1.17" diameter
"Sheet of paper" = 1800pixels long and 367pixels wide

Bobby

Last edited:
Bobby, send me your snail mail address and I'll drop a silver foil sticker in the mail for ya.

Mike

Back