FSI Motors, worth the risk?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skaffgeorge2

Reaction score
I was wondering what the general consensus of opinion is toward FSI Motors these days. Would they be worth the the risk to try now or is that an iffy proposition, considering that I could even find some that would be viable.Anyone like to weigh in on this?

If you can confirm good storage, put them in a disposable rocket and take bets!

What odds will you give on the F100?
Well, I have two FSI Vikings, the 1 and 2.I was hoping I could find enough D18's to maybe do a test of the lot with maybe one or two, and if they worked well enough than maybe! I could try to fly them.But my doubts do seem to be well founded.But from what I've heard, the the problems seem to be limited to mainly the F7's and F100's.Am I right about that? Because if that is the case I would feel much better about using the D18's .It would be a damn shame to have one blow up the Viking,but on the other hand it would be worth it just for the experience.I've seen just recently where people were flying FSI Motors, and they seemed to work just fine.Saw some video of a three motor cluster of F100's.Flew just fine.

FSI was beyond my means as a youngster flying '74 to '79. It was gone when I was a BAR in '07. Bought one of their T shirts at NARAM. Held an F 7 and F100 in my hands but never have seen one fly. Motors are MEANT TO BE FLOWN! Not burning them will anger the rocket gods!

FSI was beyond my means as a youngster flying '74 to '79. It was gone when I was a BAR in '07. Bought one of their T shirts at NARAM. Held an F 7 and F100 in my hands but never have seen one fly. Motors are MEANT TO BE FLOWN! Not burning them will anger the rocket gods!
But FSI must have pissed off the rocket gods, cuz they sure do strike a lot down with a lightning like blast....

But FSI must have pissed off the rocket gods, cuz they sure do strike a lot down with a lightning like blast....

That was because George Roos was no longer making them and the Reese Brothers too over making them. I still have some early Roos FSI motors but I dought I will fly them in anything except a disposable rocket. Delay problems are an issue as well in older motors.

Weren't FSI motors decertified? If so, finding a place to fly them might be a problem. I have a friend that has several F7 and F100 motors from many years ago that he has never flown.

Why decertified? Motors don't loose certification based on age. This is based on motors certified by TMT.

Weren't FSI motors decertified? If so, finding a place to fly them might be a problem. I have a friend that has several F7 and F100 motors from many years ago that he has never flown.
I was mainly looking into getting some 21mm D motors, but since my Vikings were converted to 18mm it's a moot point.Couldn't find them anyway.Did find one person who had some but he wasn't able to ship them because he's not a dealer.

Back