FOTF 2023 Launch Event - May 5-7, 2023 - Mooreland, IA

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will try to be out there on either Saturday or Sunday. If there are enough NAR members there I'll try to get my L1 certification, otherwise I'll hang around and watch some flights. I also have a Mach 1 flight on a G80 that I'm debating on doing depending on the weather.

Yes, I've been watching this one pretty close. Very promising indeed.

With your field layout which is the best winds? Range looks pretty clear form satellite images.
We don't really have any issues with the wind blowing in any direction. We have a county road 1/2 mile to the west. A state highway/rail line which is about 1 mile to the north. A drainage ditch/creek about a mile southeast of our location. Wind mills are over 3 miles away to the east. There are a few farmsteads and a small town, but all are over a mile away. What we worry about is muddy fields and crops. So far, no rockets have landed anywhere that couldn't be retrieved.

We will have a port-a-potty onsite. Nearest restaurant is about 15 minutes away, so bring your own food and drink.

Will try to be out there on either Saturday or Sunday. If there are enough NAR members there I'll try to get my L1 certification, otherwise I'll hang around and watch some flights. I also have a Mach 1 flight on a G80 that I'm debating on doing depending on the weather.
I believe we should be able to do a NAR L1 cert on Saturday or Sunday. Gary Stroick will be there those 2 days. He is our vendor, Off We Go Rocketry. If you are interested in doing your NAR L1, then please reach out to Gary to make sure he can do that for you.

We don't really have any issues with the wind blowing in any direction. We have a county road 1/2 mile to the west. A state highway/rail line which is about 1 mile to the north. A drainage ditch/creek about a mile southeast of our location. Wind mills are over 3 miles away to the east. There are a few farmsteads and a small town, but all are over a mile away. What we worry about is muddy fields and crops. So far, no rockets have landed anywhere that couldn't be retrieved.

We will have a port-a-potty onsite. Nearest restaurant is about 15 minutes away, so bring your own food and drink.
Sounds like us 😎 we've had a nice boggy field to deal with for the last couple seasons.

I believe we should be able to do a NAR L1 cert on Saturday or Sunday. Gary Stroick will be there those 2 days. He is our vendor, Off We Go Rocketry. If you are interested in doing your NAR L1, then please reach out to Gary to make sure he can do that for you.
I will also be there Friday and Saturday if a second is needed for any NAR cert flights or I can sign off on L1's Friday solo if needed. I do not carry any of the L1 applications with me. If someone is attempting to certify NAR L1 it would be best of they bring a printed form they can find below to eliminate any paper chasing

https://www.nar.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/HPR-L1-APPL-2021-V1.pdf

Last edited:
The 2 closest hotels are in Fort Dodge. Looks like there is still availability at both hotels.

1682617433302.png

Location of Moorland Community Center where the Saturday night banquet will be held. Very nice location for such a small town.

1682617772092.png

The 2 closest hotels are in Fort Dodge. Looks like there is still availability at both hotels.

View attachment 577586
I think Most are staying at Quality, It's Very close to the Launch , It's a bit old but seems maintained, I did it last year. Has a reasonable Bar and Restaurant in it. I'm going to Camp out this year, I Think. Cheapest in Town "not by much" would be Days Inn,, It's close to Walmart but a bit further 5 min more,, from the launch...

Last edited:
What are the length of your rails? 1010 and 1515. Will they support a 16" dia rocket? Thanks.
If the rocket doesn't exceed 20 pounds or so 1010 is available in 8' or 10' length. Heavier and it's 1515; 8' or 12'. I’m assuming you want to put it up on a M or larger motor.

If the rocket doesn't exceed 20 pounds or so 1010 is available in 8' or 10' length. Heavier and it's 1515; 8' or 12'. I’m assuming you want to put it up on a M or larger motor.
All rails are free standing... 1010's are up to 8 ft usable. 1515's are up to 10 ft usable..

Rocket only weighs 15 lbs, flies on a J800T. But due to dia, some rails tend to tilt as the weight is so far off center.
We do have 1515 pad with 12 ft rail to be there, Very strong outriggers, freestanding... has had 80 lb, lvl 3 rockets on it, No worry.

What are the range hours on Saturday and Sunday? What time is the Potluck Dinner?
Friday we need to set up the range,, But will expect to be Flying by noon.. Quicker the more help we get, each day..
The Range is one of the best around for launch, with 360 degree full view no tree recovery options, Short of ourselves.
Out to many miles in some directions.
Sat,, The waiver is set at 9am, will not be later than 10am for range to open,, same for Sunday. Range will close each day as needed,, but expect 5 to be nominal day end.
Pot-luck banquet Room Sat night will open 6 pm or so, Hour after range is closed, If someone want early access to set up or cook in the kitchen,, no problem. and will be Open same Friday Night a bit for set up of Tables and a cocktail hour and time for access to fridges and Kitchen.
We have The Community banquet center listed above all weekend, as a place to hangout, It is a large place.

We dont have a food vendor ,, so pack you own lunch.. Parking will be a somewhat premium vs distance..

Please Note...
We dont expect to have the land seeded Yet so setup on the farm land with popups local to the LCO would be an option,, but is still landowner discretion up to the Day.. We Could Arrive and Have Tractors in the field, Planting. Thay will have priority Use,, We hope not.
Since beans is the crop and a late planting is the only Word we have.
Worse case,, Planting beans is very quick, half day, we wait till they are done. 3 day launch should give us options.. 3 days of Good weather looks good to the farmers too...
We are not a Comparative large Club, but we are old and Experienced. We have never seen too many flyers.
We will be fielding only 8 HP 1010 pads with 1515, Micro and Rod options. Low power is popular and will be part of the rotation.
We have Very low Flight fee's our expectation is to break Even and have Fun meeting new flyers and enjoying the Simple things.
I hope to get a Hybrid or two up....

Last edited:
I will also be there Friday and Saturday if a second is needed for any NAR cert flights or I can sign off on L1's Friday solo if needed. I do not carry any of the L1 applications with me. If someone is attempting to certify NAR L1 it would be best of they bring a printed form they can find below to eliminate any paper chasing

https://www.nar.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/HPR-L1-APPL-2021-V1.pdf
I'll bring a dozen or so printed NAR L1 applications to have on hand if anyone is planning on being out Friday to attempt an L1 NAR cert.

Back