For shipping purposes, are motors classified as "explosives"?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelltym88

Reaction score
I am trying to see if I can ship some motors via Hazmat through UPS. These are not fireworks, and they are not explosives. I can't seem to find how they are classified. But I know I can pay $37 to ship Hazmat through UPS. I know it's been discussed before, but I can't seem to find that thread either. "search" is not my friend today .

Thanks

Info from the NAR.

https://www.nar.org/find-a-local-club/section-guidebook/laws-regulations/

"Shipping of Rocket Motors​

Sport rocket motors generally contain highly flammable substances such as black powder or ammonium perchlorate, and are therefore considered to be hazardous materials or explosives for shipment purposes by the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT). There are extensive regulations concerning shipment in the DOT’s section of the CFR–Title 49, Parts 170-179. These regulations cover packaging, labeling, and the safety testing and classification that is required prior to shipment. These regulations are of great concern to manufacturers and dealers, and there are severe penalties for non-compliance. Basically, it is illegal to send rocket motors by UPS, mail, Federal Express, or any other common carrier–or to carry them onto an airliner–except under exact compliance with these regulations. The reality of these regulations, and the shippers’ company regulations, is that it is virtually impossible for a private individual to legally ship a rocket motor of any size. Transportation of motors on airlines is very difficult to do legally and should be avoided if at all possible. It takes weeks of advance effort with the airline, and in the post-September 11 world is probably not even worth attempting."

Whether these regs are followed on various e-commerce sites is arguable. I wouldn't care to test it.

If they each have less than 62.5g of propellant, you can write to the USPS and get a permission letter allowing shipping by USPS Ground.

Thanks everyone for your replies. It really is too bad, as these are not explosives.

Back