for a sobering dose of cold war

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its a great looking site. Cold war is fascinating and more then a little frightenning. In canada we have the remains of nuclear weapons storage bunkers in various places and of course the two bomarc sites. Also nuclear wepons both real and training shapes were jettisoned or lost over canada a number of times as well.
Cheers
Fred

Wow. That would be quite interesting to visit. Now I can see all those scale modelers lagging behind the tour group to sneak into the silo with camera and measuring tape...

I would be in that group.

Interesting aside: I made the same post in another (left leaning) board and it was deleted as being "political"?

Draw your own conclusions. There are unfortunately too many who still think we were on the wrong side of that deal...

Didn't someone buy a silo and make it into their home? It had one heck of a workshop :)

the Minuteman museum looks pretty cool! I love the old-tech control panels and meters and office furniture.

several Nike Batteries have been made in to museums. if you EVER get to San Francisco, take a quick trip across the Golden Gate Bridge to the Nike museum. they've done a great job restoring the stuff and the docents are knowledgeable. very enjoyable to visit.

when I was a kid we regularly went to swim at Ft Cronkite beach. I had no idea I was at Ground Zero and would be obliterated in a real invasion. probably the best place to be, probably not worth surviving ...

(there, I said it all, in a non-political post!)

hey stewart
I lean to port pretty hard politically but i think you being shut down was unfortunate. I find the cold war a fascinating era simply because I grew up in it, ,most of the rocket technology was derived from military tech from that time and the mere fact we all survived it. i am present building a saturn V and a Bomarc so cold war stuff really interests me. i plan to buld a Geni missile and an honest John as well as all were nuclear weapon systems used by by canada. this was of course american stuff operated under a dual key sytem similar to arrangements made with other NATO allies.
Cheers
fred
try these
https://www.radomes.org/museum/
https://www.siloworld.com/
https://www.pinetreeline.org/

I'm with Fred - when someone gets shut down, no matter what their "politics", then the opportunities for rational discourse are eliminated. Besides, no matter which way you lean, the cold war was a fact of life and is a matter of historical record.

And yeah, some of those missles look pretty darn cool. It's a shame to think about their ultimate purpose, and heartening that they never had to be used.

I find it admirable and noble to discuss politics and the merit of discussing them on internet forums is without question;

However, no matter your affiliation (either "port" or "starboard") such discussions tend to get emotional and "sticky" - particularly when conducted within an internat community not dedicated to such topics specifically.

In general, forums are privately owned and operated (unless the URL ends in ".gov" or ".org" or something) and therefore the owners/moderators get to decide who can "stay" and what can be "discussed." It *is* their site, after all.

Anyway - I *COMPLETELY* understand if politics is regardedas Taboo on sites not specifically dedicated to such subject matter - mostly because of the vehement "discussions" that generally result.

There is a place and time for political discussions, and respect should be given to the owners and moderators that choose to excercise their right to not allow that time or place to occur on their chat board. This is not a censorship or a limitation of "rational discourse" - but more likely an act of reservation, peace-keeping, and down right common sense.

Hi forecheck,
I agree if politics is off the menu I respect that. no problems. i just found nothing poltical in the post and was puzzled why it would be banned. When stewart mentionned he was banned by left wing folk from another site. i assumed he was not referring TRF. The point i was making was left wing folks can like rockets and discuss the cold war rationally. We can also respect those from the opposite side of the spectrum.
The cold war could be and is a plentiful source of scale rocket projects. As a Canadian our countries cold war arsenal inpires me to build certain projects. i disparage no one elses.
I like TRF and respect the moderation as i know the rules before i go in. When i make a mistake that gigantic furry paw from off stage pulls my post and thats okay :)
cheers
fred

You guys aren't true rocketeers are you?!

Someone should be thinking of how we can use those launch rails! You think we could modify that silo for LPR and MPR?

Imagine never having to bring your own equipment to a club launch - we'd have a permanent site!!!

I didn't and have not intended to begin any political debate with the post in either case.

I was surprised, however by the NP Services' choice of subject matter, then intrigued and finaly sober. Happy that that war is over.
:)

Originally posted by akpilot
Someone should be thinking of how we can use those launch rails! You think we could modify that silo for LPR and MPR?

Imagine never having to bring your own equipment to a club launch - we'd have a permanent site!!!

OK--Who's going to be the first to build a permanent launch facility? I'm going to Lowes today anyway...

Back