Fliskits Thunderbird missile build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hoping to fly it saturday Jim, weather permitting,...weather/rain killed the last 2 attempts.I have a review for emrr waiting also.

can't wait !

she flew today nice and strait on a C6-5.. It came down a little fast and there was a bit of wind gust going on also.

three of the boosters detached from the paper to paper joint, nothing damaged just delaminated at the paper. I will have to rethink the attachmant and go to a bit bigger chute. I does not go really high so a big chute would be a good cushion for all the fins sticking out

overall nice flight and looks great off the pad! I couldn't get a pic as I was pushing the launch button. I'll get one next time for sure !

Very kewl :)

And, no, a rocket with that much *stuff* going on isn't going to be a real performer :) But it does look cool in the air, that's for sure!

three of the boosters detached from the paper to paper joint, nothing damaged just delaminated at the paper. I will have to rethink the attachmant and go to a bit bigger chute.
There should not really be any paper-paper joints. At the rear end of the booster, the paper ring can go right to the end of the booster body tube, where it will end up level with the tail cone. At the front end, the paper ring can wrap around the whole missile rather than having separate rings around booster and sustainer tubes. That would allow the whole booster tube to be flush with the sustainer tube, and the ring around the front would reinforce the joint.

But it's definitely a nice model and you've done a great job on it. If I hadn't already scratch-built a Thunderbird, I'd probably buy the kit. :)

aft_coupling.jpg

fore_coupling.jpg

I'm right in the middle of building the Thunderbird (it's really fun so far) but I had a few questions. Where you glue the shrouds to the plugs in the boosters, how did you attach them? And also, same step, the instructions say to face the seam towards the body tube, but my shrouds slant in, not out like they're supposed to. Am I doing something wrong or what?

Latest posts

Back