Flight logs, lets see them...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firemanup

Reaction score
Rocketreviews.com is still out there but doesn't seem to be as prevalent anymore as it was 15 years ago.

Used to always search there anytime i was considering a new kit for detailed build and flight reviews and found it was also a great place to keep flight logs and statistics.

Do you use their flight logs? Do you keep a total or log another way? If so how?

My flight logs thus far, im sure im missing a couple but for the most part every flight ive done is logged here...

https://www.rocketreviews.com/my-flights-7157.html

Is a screaming man emoji inappropriate in a logbook? I'm asking for a friend...
One of my last flights went "high-speed dirt on me; I felt sorry for it, I know how it feels when the chute doesn't open when you think it will.

I keep track of everything F-impulse or higher in Excel. I can then run down pivot reports if I want to get specific details out of the spreadsheet to track different items. My Excel file tracks anything from rocket name to motor case size, engine used, dual deployment used, total impulse etc. It's definitely nerd status to track all this but its something I enjoy doing and comparing it year over year.

These are few snapshots of the log data and a couple of the pivots I run down from main data sheet:

Capture4.JPG

LogCapture12.14.JPG

Capture2-12.14.JPG

Thats pretty cool, I'm not that computer literate so I use the website, it gives me much of the same data, heres a few examples

Attachments

• 2C8108EB-54B5-4BD1-93C4-4E624E78E2F6.png
    2C8108EB-54B5-4BD1-93C4-4E624E78E2F6.png
    252.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 865A92CF-0F76-464E-8AC8-53793509229F.png
    865A92CF-0F76-464E-8AC8-53793509229F.png
    316.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 81CB5FEE-34AD-40A2-8F8C-F956FAAA014F.png
    81CB5FEE-34AD-40A2-8F8C-F956FAAA014F.png
    288 KB · Views: 12
I’m still old school….paper and pencil. I hate trying to type with one or two fingers into my phone on the field and don’t want to have to set up something with a keyboard there either.

6A1DE4A6-C654-4B44-A25D-5E5D3A44DD0E.jpeg

I’m still looking for some sort of app that would be usable on the field but haven’t seen anything that really makes me want to try it. I do put some of the flight data (when a FlightSketch altimeter is used) on their online log, but usually only basic info.

Here are the FlightSketch logs for the same two flights:
https://flightsketch.com/flights/1258/https://flightsketch.com/flights/1259/

I like their flight logs. I am concerned about becoming dependent on a site that may go away. I like the idea of a spread sheet.
The site has the feature to export your flights into an excel spreadsheet, so you can update the site and then download and overwrite your local spreadsheet, allowing you to have both a local copy and an online copy, makes it easier to share that way too cause you can just link to the site, although it appears that functionality is currently not working

The site has the feature to export your flights into an excel spreadsheet, so you can update the site and then download and overwrite your local spreadsheet, allowing you to have both a local copy and an online copy, makes it easier to share that way too cause you can just link to the site, although it appears that functionality is currently not working
I did not know that. thanks.

I, too, keep Excel records of my flights. Above examples have given me some more ideas. I track # of flights per my rockets....All are numbered and I'm up to 101 in the fleet (low power-->HP). I also keep my BP calcs and ground test results in Excel so I can prep my charges more consistently.
Here's a clip of my Sim file that I do for my mid-->HP rockets. I use the cell comment feature probably too much.
1639577868094.png

Last edited:
Other Excel items I have....an inventory of all motors with burn times, etc so I can see what to pick from and sim. Field conditions (lat/long, elevation) at the various fields I go to or plan to.... for simulating to those conditions.

I, too, keep Excel records of my flights. Above examples have given me some more ideas. I track # of flights per my rockets....All are numbered and I'm up to 101 in the fleet (low power-->HP). I also keep my BP calcs and ground test results in Excel so I can prep my charges more consistently.
Here's a clip of my Sim file that I do for my mid-->HP rockets. I use the cell comment feature probably too much.
View attachment 494458
Can I get a copy of your spreadsheet?

I started putting the rocket, motor, and altitude in a composition notebook back in '07. I loaded that data into EMRR also starting in '07, now RocketReviews.com If you look at flight logs and search for Jeff Boldig, you'll see my 440+ flights. The flight statistics are not right because since the start of 2023, the stats don't include EX motor flights. If you can't select a commercial motor when logging your flight, it won't include the flight in statistics. I had 13 EX flights for 61,595 ft. this year. Bottom line, I'm over 912,000 ft. and at my current rate, should hit the million foot mark before the end of next year. Might have it already if I had started recording things in 2003 when I started as a BAR.

Can I get a copy of your spreadsheet?
Well, they're simple. Here are examples along with showing some tabs of the sort of stuff I keep. (I had already shown an example of the sim sheet, but I sent another one mainly to show the other tabs of info I record.

Attachments

• BP Charge Sheet Example.JPG
    BP Charge Sheet Example.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Sim_Actual Sheet with other tabs Example.JPG
    Sim_Actual Sheet with other tabs Example.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Summary Example.JPG
    Summary Example.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 0
Here's a template for the spreadsheet I use to track my flights.
Since I prefer minimum diameter, I have a separate tab for each diameter.
As of last September, I've logged 1,425,036' (since 2004).

Attachments

• Rocket_logsheet-template.xlsx
    26.6 KB · Views: 4
Just a simple text file with altimeter file name, rocket, altitude, motors, date flown, location, comments.
Files from about 1996. A long list at the end lists motor ejection flights.

There's a thread about my adventures in databases somewhere. I'm still compiling historical data, but I use Memento DB - at home or in the field, internet connection or not. Not only can it log flights, but I use it to input SIM data and keeping track of motor inventory. I'm still working on how to export info, like flight numbers and cumulative altitude, but it works pretty well right now.

1000005796.png

1000005793.png

1000005794.png

1000005795.png

Back