FleaBay is getting sneaky !!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobby_hamill

Reaction score
Just found out the hard way If you place an offer for an item and the seller agrees with the offer
FleaBay deducts payment from your listed account right away !! Only the seller can change the option
and half the time the seller does not even know about the option !!

So what was your "downside" to this happening ???

You made and offer, the seller agreed and Fleabay concluded the transaction for you so someone else did not butt in and offer more.

I don't sell on Ebay anymore , or at least for the past year or so.

Remove your credit card from the ebay account. You only need one if you sell. Use PayPal for payments and again remove your credit card. Do not allow PayPal to stay loggged in to "make things easier"
Simple........
You'll then get a notification email your offfer has been accepted.

Every year I use eBay less because of these type of things
Your Electricity supplier is offering internet connection and a Netflix account in one, all for one "low" price. The integration of everything is to make it really difficult to move to a better deal.. Don't ever use the email account your internet supplier provides or you cannot change supplier.

How does that work?
I think the point was that if you use your ISP email address, you'll have to get a new email address if/when you change ISP. And if you're registered on a bunch of sites with that email, updating them all will be a major pain (on top of trying to get the word out to everyone you actually want to get email from).

I think the point was that if you use your ISP email address, you'll have to get a new email address if/when you change ISP. And if you're registered on a bunch of sites with that email, updating them all will be a major pain (on top of trying to get the word out to everyone you actually want to get email from).
Correct.
If you don't mind the targeting use GMail or Hotmail. They're free and as permanent as you're going to get. And do not tie you to an internet provider that can vary their monthly charges.
Or buy your own website and have your own email address. This costs money to maintain. This is what I do. But I also have a hotmail address.

Just found out the hard way If you place an offer for an item and the seller agrees with the offer
FleaBay deducts payment from your listed account right away !! Only the seller can change the option

Only down side I see to this is the buyer cannot back out . Far to often a person will offer to purchase a item them back out after the seller says yes. This is no different then the buy it now button.

Sneaky? They publish how this works on their website and took me about 6 seconds to Google:
https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/buy-now/making-best-offer?id=4019

"Tip: When you make an offer or counteroffer, you’re committing to buy the item if your offer is accepted. If you entered your payment method when making your offer, you'll be charged if the seller accepts."

Only down side I see to this is the buyer cannot back out . Far to often a person will offer to purchase a item them back out after the seller says yes. This is no different then the buy it now button.
Funny how people see things differently. I think this is clearly the upside of the policy. You make an offer, they accept, you are obligated to buy it.

That's why you see so many Yahoo.com and Live.com (Microsoft) domains... ISP-independent. I still get orders from people with AOL.com addresses... my guess is that they do not have AOL anymore, but since Yahoo bought them awhile ago the domain (and email account) is being kept alive.

Last edited:
Funny how people see things differently. I think this is clearly the upside of the policy. You make an offer, they accept, you are obligated to buy it.
There is another upside: The seller can not back out of the sale if someone comes along and offers more if the seller will cancel the sale to the original buyer.

I still get orders from people with AOL.com addresses... my guess is that they do not have AOL anymore, but since Yahoo bought them awhile ago the domain (and email account) is being kept alive

Someone once told me they could tell a person’s age if they had an aol email address. Yep, that’s me.

Hey, I resemble that! :)
Yup, same here. Probably still have some "10 hours of AOL Free" discs around, too. "Free" email ain't free, someone, somewhere, is paying for it. If you're not buying something, if you're not selling something, then YOU are the product!

As to the topic of the thread, that 'feature' has been in place for quite some time now, nothing new, and is spelled out on the screen when making the offer. If you're not making a genuine offer, then don't click the confirm button!

Last edited:
Sneaky? They publish how this works on their website and took me about 6 seconds to Google:
https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/buy-now/making-best-offer?id=4019

"Tip: When you make an offer or counteroffer, you’re committing to buy the item if your offer is accepted. If you entered your payment method when making your offer, you'll be charged if the seller accepts."
There is a bit more to it that occurred in the last year or so. If you "make an offer," Ebay will automatically store your credit card info with your account on their system. You can no longer proceed with the offer without putting the number in, if it's not stored already. You can of course delete your number after that transaction. But it remains in place while your offer is open, say for 24 hours, or forever if you forget to delete it. If you are not comfortable with that, and I am not, I will message the seller and explain that. An experienced seller will know how to create a listing just for you with the agreed amount, and send you a link. A lot of extra bother you say? I had my credit card number hijacked twice within 3 months a few years ago, when I did have my number stored in Ebay and Paypal. The second time it happened, I pressed the fraud department for info on how it happened. They said they are not allowed to discuss those kind of details, but that I had not made any mistakes. I wouldn't drop it, so she said "theoretically" if my card number was stored somewhere, that was the cause of the breach to my account, and to remove all such places where that was true. I have not had a problem since, and I don't let third parties store the number anymore.

Latest posts

Back