First experience with Rocketarium

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GusGrissom

Reaction score
They have some really cool looking rockets so I decided to take the plunge and I bought their AS 11 Kilter and their Aim 54 Phoenix. I love the look of all the multiple fins. However, each kit was missing a part. Luckily they weren't actual parts needed on the bodies of the rockets, but parts used in the construction of the rockets (pushers and spacers) and I was able to use items that I had lying around and was able to complete the rockets. Kind of frustrating though, as these rockets are pricey. I have not launched these yet, so I cannot comment on how the engine baffles work. They do not call for the use of any wadding.

Also, IMHO, the Kilter is kind of a smallish rocket to take a D engine. I'm going to cut a spill hole in the parachute, but, I'm probably planning on losing it. Not a lot of wide open spaces here in Southwest Florida. Is there a quick swap out - D to C/B adapter, similar to Estes E to D engine adapter kit? I already have the D engine mount glued in. Thanks.🚀:)

They have some really cool looking rockets so I decided to take the plunge and I bought their AS 11 Kilter and their Aim 54 Phoenix. I love the look of all the multiple fins. However, each kit was missing a part. Luckily they weren't actual parts needed on the bodies of the rockets, but parts used in the construction of the rockets (pushers and spacers) and I was able to use items that I had lying around and was able to complete the rockets. Kind of frustrating though, as these rockets are pricey. I have not launched these yet, so I cannot comment on how the engine baffles work. They do not call for the use of any wadding.

Also, IMHO, the Kilter is kind of a smallish rocket to take a D engine. I'm going to cut a spill hole in the parachute, but, I'm probably planning on losing it. Not a lot of wide open spaces here in Southwest Florida. Is there a quick swap out - D to C/B adapter, similar to Estes E to D engine adapter kit? I already have the D engine mount glued in. Thanks.🚀:)
Yes, Estes sells red 24->18 adapters just like the bigger ones. Work fine.

Always better to err on the side of a larger mount since it is so easy to adapt down.

How much does the rocket weigh?

4.8 ounces, and that's before primer and paint, so I guess it is kinda heavy for a short rocket. They provide a nice size chunk of clay for the nose cone and recommend using all of it.

Thanks for the heads up on the Estes conversion kit. Going to look for it.

4.8 oz is definitely 24mm territory. I don’t think I’d go below a C11. Simulate to be sure (or just use thrustcurve.org).

(maybe a Q-jet C or D would work... again, simulate to be sure).

"Losing it" is one of the possible outcomes I try very hard to avoid. ;) My preferred method to reduce hang time is reefing the chute. Taping the shroud lines together creates a smaller canopy diameter. Going all the way effectively creates a para-streamer. Best way to get'um back IMO. The trade-off is a greater than zero chance of fin damage but that's what super glue is for. Never fly without some in the ol' range kit.

chute reef.JPG

I also just got a rocketarium kit, the exocet mm40, and I have to say the quality is noticeably better than the estes kits I have, I haven’t needed to sand/tape any parts to make them fit correctly, and the markings on the tubes are very nice to have. It is missing one of the decals, but I don’t mind that, I can just put something there myself maybe, or leave it blank.
The 630' on a D12 is a bit high for the field I launch at, I’m thinking to try it on a C11 instead even though it’s not on the "recommended" list; sims to 270' in open rocket. Needs a longer launch rod to be fast enough with the C11, but don’t have a 3/16 one yet anyways. (and as a bonus, a 48" one at the hardware store is half the price of the 36" one from estes)

I also just got a rocketarium kit, the exocet mm40, and I have to say the quality is noticeably better than the estes kits I have, I haven’t needed to sand/tape any parts to make them fit correctly, and the markings on the tubes are very nice to have. It is missing one of the decals, but I don’t mind that, I can just put something there myself maybe, or leave it blank.
The 630' on a D12 is a bit high for the field I launch at, I’m thinking to try it on a C11 instead even though it’s not on the "recommended" list; sims to 270' in open rocket. Needs a longer launch rod to be fast enough with the C11, but don’t have a 3/16 one yet anyways. (and as a bonus, a 48" one at the hardware store is half the price of the 36" one from estes)
That cheap one from the hardware store will probably need to be oiled to keep from rusting between use. I'm guessing it's not stainless.

Be careful flying 24mm rockets of a 1/8" rod. It's possible, but be wary of rod whip.

That cheap one from the hardware store will probably need to be oiled to keep from rusting between use. I'm guessing it's not stainless.

Be careful flying 24mm rockets of a 1/8" rod. It's possible, but be wary of rod whip.
The kit is for a 3/16 rod, I mentioned that that’s why I’d have to buy a new one either way. It does say stainless on the website, but I’d be keeping it inside anyways so I don’t think that would be a big problem. The difference is the estes one splits into pieces so it’s easier to store/carry I think.

I use streamers in almost all of my rockets, including BT-60 and BT-80 rockets. Easier to track and they don't get lost in the wind. My 8 ounce BT-90 rocket has a 53 foot section of Caution Tape, launches damage free.

I have several Rocketarium rockets. Like them all. Good quality parts, good instructions, and most (if not all) include a baffle. They all have flown well for me.

Hans.

I've got the first coat of primer on the Kilter and the construction nearly completed on the Phoenix. I'm going to paint the Phoenix according to spec. The Kilter probably black and red.

I would imagine they do fly pretty straight with all those fins. Looking forward to seeing how the baffles work. Flying without wadding. Is that like going out without underwear?

Attachments

• IMG_4549.jpg
    IMG_4549.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4550.jpg
    IMG_4550.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I've got the first coat of primer on the Kilter and the construction nearly completed on the Phoenix. I'm going to paint the Phoenix according to spec. The Kilter probably black and red.

I would imagine they do fly pretty straight with all those fins. Looking forward to seeing how the baffles work. Flying without wadding. Is that like going out without underwear?
Change the color of the Phoenix to a lighter grey, not that blueish grey. Also note the silver band under the nose cone if there isn't a sticker for it. I did it on a 5.5" one and used monokote

Attachments

• IMG_0327 (Edited).JPG
    IMG_0327 (Edited).JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Just for future reference (hard to dig up this info sometimes):
1704508452877.png
You can choose your decor accordingly. When doing my IRIS-T I initially was going to use blue because that's what I saw in most pictures, but once I learned this I switched gears and decided to go for the "live" brown and yellow stripes instead.

Anyway, just FYI. I find it interesting.

(Channeling Fred S) What did Rocketarium say when you contacted them about the missing parts? https://www.rocketarium.com/Store/Contact :)

I didn't bother, if it was a nose cone or something major then I needed I definitely would have. It was just pusher parts needed to push the baffles into the tubes and I was able to use stuff that I had lying around.

Okay, they're done. I used my wife's "Pucker Up # 299" nail polish for the red side channels in case anyone needs a reference for the red. (You won't find it in Hobby Lobby.) Thank you to all who contributed here. I was a slightly agitated about the missing pieces at first and I just wanted to vent a little, but I do have to say, I like the look of Rocketarium's products and will surely be feeding my habit further in the future with more purchases from them.

Attachments

• IMG_4566.jpg
    IMG_4566.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4564.jpg
    IMG_4564.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Back