First Build Thread......Estes Semi Scale V2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got one of these and am about to get started. What s the best way to trim the fin tabs out of the tail cone? It seems just using a hobby knife is asking for a sloppy cut or the knife slipping out of control. Would a dremel be more effective?

I used a brand new exato blade. I found it easier to try and make small cuts with multiple passes. This will give you plenty of control.

I couldn't help myself and picked one up this past weekend at HobbyTown. I found it really easy and clean to use a coping saw to cut the tabs off. They were a bit small so I went back with my exacto and trimmed the slots to make the fins fit.

[video=youtube;PY592kT5STU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY592kT5STU&feature=youtu.be[/video]This is the last image of my Estes V2. This was its second and final flight. It flew great until it drifted into a outlying forest. I was unable to locate and recover my mighty V2. This is a great kit and I will get a replacement soon!

That would be awesome!

I wouldn't hold my breath if you're thinking about a 29mm powered V2 from Estes. They seem to be closing out the PSII line.

However, you might be able to use the PSII's architecture to build one yourself, if you can find the nosecone/tailcone (I'd try eRockets.biz or BMS).

And... Now I realize why I hadn't seen this build thread... It predates me on TRF.

Latest posts

Back