Firefly Serenity - A Scratch Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flying this horizontally or the Space 1999 Eagle is just a bit crazy, but it will work. Just need a really really kind RSO. ;)
TANGENT: I've occasionally mused about doing an Eagle, with a belly mounted cluster and, much as I dislike them, transparent fins. Vertical takeoff and pop a chute out the nose. For me, it would have to be either a PMC or mode from someone else's design for 3D printing.
1712767768497.png

TANGENT: I've occasionally mused about doing an Eagle, with a belly mounted cluster and, much as I dislike them, transparent fins. Vertical takeoff and pop a chute out the nose. For me, it would have to be either a PMC or mode from someone else's design for 3D printing.
View attachment 639832

Somewhere , and maybe this site I have seen a vertical take off Eagle from the Plastic Model. As a Kid I built one to fly from the rear vertically, never got to fly it.

View attachment 639832
IMG_20170226_212704811_HDR.jpg
No stinking clear fins needed. Just thrust! Proof of concept model flew twice. :)

A widely spaced cluster in pods with one in the middle. 3xC11 0. Cut and Plugged in pods, pinch of BP on top in middle for ducted rear deployment on a Firefly. That would be a next step challenge. Then an Eight plus cluster on the big Eagle plastic kit!

Last edited:
Need more power for a horizontal launch Firefly with legs? Cut down Three of these beauties.
20240410_123713.jpg

20240410_123759.jpg

Two cut and plugged motors in the pods. One cut with a pinch of BP on top in the body for rear or SIDE ejection out the bug like abdomen of the Firefly.

How many code violations? Let me count the ways...

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We most be cautious.

The cut off scrap portions of the motor casings will make great pad standoffs! YIPPEE!

LOVE THOSE STUBBY HORIZONTAL LAUNCHED ROCKETS WITH CHOPPED STUBBY MOTORS!

Might be able to pack some chutes in the pods as well! Only if it would look good. Such is the desperation of flying such oddroc abominations.

NOT BORING

RSO SAYS...NO! TOO SCARY. Traditional vertical launch with motor in back is scary enough!

Pad assignment...Far Far Away.

No stinking clear fins needed. Just thrust! Proof of concept model flew twice. :)

A widely spaced cluster in pods with one in the middle. 3xC11 0. Cut and Plugged in pods, pinch of BP on top in middle for ducted rear deployment on a Firefly. That would be a next step challenge. Then an Eight plus cluster on the big Eagle plastic kit!
I was thinking of a six motor cluster, two in front, two in the rear, and two on those outriggers.
1712777196248.png
Launch lug centered between them, where the purple lines cross, and the CG as close to that spot as I can make it. And I would be prepared to tolerate (unhappily) the clear fins, one descending from each landing foot at 45° from the centerline, as shown there in white. Most of the main body's interior is an open space; a piece of BT-55 is positioned with an open end inside said space, housing the parachute, and with the nose popping out of the front.

But enough of this threadjacking. One ridiculous TV spaceship build at a time.

Good boys can launch anything vertically. Nice and safe. Even back in the local park of their childhood.
FYI: the Eagle being launched in that photo is the Centuri one, which is essentially a giant nosecone molded in the shape of a Space 1999 Eagle. The rocketeer in the photo is doing it as per the Centuri kit instructions, his booster is different, but it's 100% correct as per the original kit. I still have two of these Eagles. I might make one to fly if I can find the correct body tube for the booster.

FYI: the Eagle being launched in that photo is the Centuri one, which is essentially a giant nosecone molded in the shape of a Space 1999 Eagle. The rocketeer in the photo is doing it as per the Centuri kit instructions, his booster is different, but it's 100% correct as per the original kit. I still have two of these Eagles. I might make one to fly if I can find the correct body tube for the booster.
Make a custom booster. Much to be improved upon with the original kit.

Well, we know that @Daddyisabar has been hacked.

Trust the machine, tsk. Next thing you know he’ll be making an Alpha III build thread.

A mindsim is a terrible thing to waste.
Hush hush sweet Raythain. Sometimes you have to go along with the crowd, be a good boy! Pad assignment please!

I do love my first Alpha from '74. Have a mindsim for an upscale upside down - right side up Alpha. But I am spending way too much time being blown away by all the Lakeroadster builds!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back