Finishing Paper Wraps

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Race58

Reaction score
I know that the answer is probably somewhere on this forum but I can't seem to find it.:surprised:

How does one finish coat a paper wrap with markings. Do you use clear coat like you do on paint etc. or do nothing and leave the wrap the way it is??

I use krylon clear. Usually I spray the wrap with a light coat before I cut it out and apply it. I helps protect the wrap from fingerprints and dirt etc. while you are handling it. Here are a couple:

Jupiter&

heavy0.jpg

VERY NICE!!! I think the Jupiter is a Dr Zooch.
Is the other a Delta IV kit bashed with Baby Bertha's ??
I use krylon clear. Usually I spray the wrap with a light coat before I cut it out and apply it. I helps protect the wrap from fingerprints and dirt etc. while you are handling it. Here are a couple:

Jupiter%20C.jpg

heavy0.jpg

Thanks! Correct on all counts. I call the sexond one the Bertha IV Heavy, it's the result of too much time and Big Berhta parts on my hands.

What are you working on?

I Really like that Delta. Have you flown it and is it one or 3 motors?

I have a couple of projects started
As far as the paper wraps are concerned the Zooch Redstone. I also have a Canadian Arrow V-2 conversion and I just finished a Nike/Ajax with a FlisKits Deuce's Wild as the Nike part. See here for the build threads:
Nike/Ajax:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=42775

Zooch Redstone:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=43030

I will have one for the V-2 as soon as I get further along.
Thanks! Correct on all counts. I call the sexond one the Bertha IV Heavy, it's the result of too much time and Big Berhta parts on my hands.

What are you working on?

I use Krylon clear for printed shroud/saucer paper parts prior to assembly. Be sure to mask the glue tab.

OK, I've seen the ajax, that's awesome.

The Bertha has a 24mm mount in the center and 13mm in the side pods (they were not installed when the picture was taken).

I have flown it once so far on a single C11 and it flew perfectly. I had to add some nose weight to get the CG right with a D12 and two A10's. If you build one, I would suggest using through the wall fin mounting, one of mine snapped off on the landing.

First&

Oh, I'm definitely going to make one just don't know when yet. I still have other projects before it.
Thanks for the info.

The Bertha has a 24mm mount in the center and 13mm in the side pods (they were not installed when the picture was taken).

I have flown it once so far on a single C11 and it flew perfectly. I had to add some nose weight to get the CG right with a D12 and two A10's. If you build one, I would suggest using through the wall fin mounting, one of mine snapped off on the landing.

First%20flight.jpg

Krylon Clear or Rustoleum Clear or Walmart Colorplace clear.

Whatever I happen to have handy.

EDIT: I just want to be sure and note that I am talking about paper only... If theres a paper wrap along with painted parts, I use the clear that is compatable with the paint.

Delta II_1.JPG

First&

Jupiter%20C.jpg

heavy0.jpg

Indiana,,,,Which clear do you use?
I have seen Crystal Clear #1301,and Triple Thick Crystal Clear Glaze # 0500. Have you had any problems with yellowing over time?
Somewhere I read where these do and that Krylon makes another Clear #1305 which is supposed to have UV protection and won't yellow.:dontknow:
I use krylon clear.

EDIT: I just want to be sure and note that I am talking about paper only... If theres a paper wrap along with painted parts, I use the clear that is compatable with the paint.

Nice looking birds Bob. I especialy like the Delta II.

Indiana,,,,Which clear do you use?
I have seen Crystal Clear #1301,and Triple Thick Crystal Clear Glaze # 0500. Have you had any problems with yellowing over time?
Somewhere I read where these do and that Krylon makes another Clear #1305 which is supposed to have UV protection and won't yellow.:dontknow:

I used #1313 satin finish to keep the shine down. It says it's non-yellowing, but I have not been building long enough to find that out yet.

I agree with Bob, for the paper wrap use what ever is handy. Note the gloss or satin finish as you need for each model. Also Krylon Workable Fixatif will fix the ink from smearing and give a dull coat.

Race mentioned the Krylon UV protection which should reduce yellowing.

Krylon Workable Fixatif

Krylon UV-Resistant Clear Coatings

Mike

I use the Workable Fixatif as a clear coat all by itself.
It will produce a dull coat and is not noticeable, but will protect the ink from smearing during construction and during flight. If you want a satin finish or a gloss finish then you can overcoat the fixatif with a clear coat.

Latest posts

Back