Finished Air Brake recovery , hopefully made practical

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The missing piece

Wire to tube.

BTW, the tape around the back of the tube allows me to use external tape wrap for motor retention to the tube. I like Mylar, but cellophane works too. Gives you a base for your actual tape wrap, so when you pull it OFF you don’t delaminate the tube .

This rocket diameter was intentionally oversized a bit, so a wrap of crepe paper to get it snug and centered.
That explains retention, but keeps the whole motor mount from sliding forward? Or is that coming next?

Da whole enchilada

Loaded with motor retention wire and tube.

I used two launch lugs. A 1/8” standoff to clear the nose pyramid. One forward, one back. Otherwise these tend to hang up on the rod.

The end on shot doesn’t come out well as I can’t get it to focus on both lugs, but first pic has launch rod in place.

Shot of motor end with retention system in place. Motor sticks out more than I want. I thought I fixed it with this rendition, but I can move it up another 1cm.

Money shots with brakes deployed.

Some shots with the NON-Motor retention.

Joe, this may answer your question. The motor retention accessory DOES NOT function for MOTOR BLOCK. (Although I did throw in a motor block IN the tube, now I wish I hadn’t.)

The rear dual rubber bands are dual purpose.

1. They function as airbrake retention (rotor retention for a heli) on boost.

2. Probably looked at dubiously by High Power guys, but those bands also ARE the motor block for my birds.

Pic shows placement of first band crossing in front of motor.

Couple pics, one with crochet hook, showing how the retention bands are threaded.

Hard to get a mass as I can’t balance it well on plate, but looks like 75-80 grams, oops that’s a A8-3 CASING, so add 14 grams for a c5-3 for 90-95 grams.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg