Fin Gluing Problem

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maybe @kuririn can chime in, he does a tag team with CA and wood glue which sounds great, not sure i understand it, but sounded good.
I've done something similar.... I initially adhere the fins to the body tube with CA, which allows me to get them into place VERY QUICKLY, as the CA dries quick and bonds quick. Once the fins are in place I do fillets with Titebond wood glue or Titebond II. CA holds things in place but won't take a lot of flexing, so you can't use it by itself. If you're double serious about holding those fins on, take a strip of paper, and make it a "V" shape and glue that into the fin and body tube where they meet as an additional fillet. Use Titebond or any wood glue for the fillets as that will take the flex. Fins should be as strong, or stronger than the material they are bonded to. I've had cardboard layers peel off before the fins give way.

. If you're double serious about holding those fins on, take a strip of paper, and make it a "V" shape and glue that into the fin and body tube where they meet as an additional fillet. Use Titebond or any wood glue for the fillets as that will take the flex. Fins should be as strong, or stronger than the material they are bonded to. I've had cardboard layers peel off before the fins give way.
I like it. I’ve done the same with 1/16x1/6x chord length balsa strips, so called ”balsa fillets.) The follow on fillet “usually” covers the balsa strip. Your idea may be better.

either way would be a great way of “prepping” body tubes for Cub Scout or other kid group building projects, as I think getting the fins on is usually the hardest part of the project.

Back