Filling Fins - other methods?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWolman

Reaction score
I'm working on a 4" goblin model, and am noticing that my "microballons and thin zap" method isn't translating well on the large fins. I use it on small models with no problems, the fins come out perfectly smooth very quickly.

I have also tried the Elmers wood putty (fill and finish I think) with mixed results - the fins come out great, but it takes forever to sand, even when thinned out.

Anyone have any other suggestions? I'm thinking about brushing on finishing epoxy and sanding that down - I'm thinking that it would work out well.

Thanks!

I'm working on a 4" goblin model, and am noticing that my "microballons and thin zap" method isn't translating well on the large fins. I use it on small models with no problems, the fins come out perfectly smooth very quickly.

I have also tried the Elmers wood putty (fill and finish I think) with mixed results - the fins come out great, but it takes forever to sand, even when thinned out.

Anyone have any other suggestions? I'm thinking about brushing on finishing epoxy and sanding that down - I'm thinking that it would work out well.

Thanks!

take some of the finishing epoxy and work in some west systems 410. Just a little tiney bit to make it a tad thicker. That will keep it form running all ove the place and make it easier to sand. I sand my plywood fins with 220 then if I need to I put some of the on there. If not 4 or 5 coats of primer and 220 fills it good.

Ben

There are a couple different Elmers wood fillers (in almost identical packaging). The Fill-n-Finish should be VERY easy to sand. The other will be hard as a rock and take quite a while. I know Lowes (here anyway) carries the right stuff, and HD has the "other".

Ken

I have been using some spray on stuff called deft sanding sealer. It takes several coats but it is easy and it does a great job. I bought it at Lowes or Home depot don't remember which one. You should try it.

This looks like a great thread to jump in with one of my newbie questions. Do you guys sand and fill your fins before or after mounting them?

Thanks!

It does. That's exactly what I use to fill my plywood fins. Brush on, let dry overnight, sand. Repeat. Two coats is usually enough combined with a few coats of a high build primer.

In response to Gregor's question: I fill and sand AFTER the fins are mounted.

This looks like a great thread to jump in with one of my newbie questions. Do you guys sand and fill your fins before or after mounting them?

I do mine after mounting and after fillets. You should sand the surfaces before mounting though to prevent breaking them off afterwards. I sand mine with 320 then mount. After the glue has dried I then proceed with prime, sand, prime, sand, paint...sometimes I don't care about the look of the fins (especially if I'm using basswood) I'll just sand them with 400 or 800 grit then prime, sand and paint without trying to fill in the grain so much...just my preference.

Thanks all for the advice - I think that I'll go with the finishing epoxy mixed with microballons - sounds like they are similar to the west systems product that was mentioned.

I'll post a follow-up in a couple of days once I have tried it out -

Thanks

Back