Featherweight Tracker Over-the-horizon relay

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian A

TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've been thinking about (and talking about) and working on the over-the-horizon relay feature for.... a long time now. (years! :oops:) I think the microcontroller firmware part of it is finally done. As I'm writing this I'm watching my test setup go through a longer-duration test. So I have some time to kill and it seems like a nice time to share:

Introduction:

When you fly your rocket with a GPS tracker, when it lands, it often loses contact because of hills, ridges, etc. getting in between you and the tracker. Standard practice is to go to where the rocket was last heard from. Usually you'll get the signal back as you get closer, and things work. But when you have been enjoying watching your rocket's data come back consistently, and then you just stop hearing from it, an uneasy feeling is natural. Wouldn't it be nice if you kept getting data from your rocket after it lands? Now, you can, if you or one of your friends launches another Featherweight tracker. Nobody has do to anything special, just fly like usual and the systems will automatically get the latest data back to you to see on your phone. If you want to do something special to relay the data, like fly a tracker on a drone or fixed-wing airplane, or a kite, or a helium weather balloon, that will work too, but it's not required.

upload_2019-5-16_0-50-28.png
How does it work?
Every Featherweight tracker spends part of its time listening for lost rockets when it's not transmitting its own location. When it hears from a lost rocket, it includes the found rocket location along with its own location and sends it back to its ground station. When a ground station gets the found rocket info, it broadcasts it to other ground stations that are within range at the launch area, one of which is yours. Your ground station passes it along to your phone using Bluetooth. It will show up on a screen of found rockets, and you can select it to track to that location.

The complicated part is hidden behind the scenes. How do you get all of the pieces to do the right thing, at exactly the right time? The LoRa radio can only do one thing at a time. It can listen, or transmit, but not both. You want your rocket to talk back to your ground station on a dedicated channel without needing to share time on it with anyone else, but for the lost rocket data passing to work, all the trackers and all the ground stations need to be communicating on the same channel at least some of the time. GPS can be used as a common time reference, but getting that to work precisely is easier said than done, and it's also important to have your ground station and tracker start talking immediately when you turn them on, and stay talking, whether or not they have a GPS lock yet. But now it's working, and the longer-duration test has been solid, so time for some sleep.

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-16_0-50-12.png
    upload_2019-5-16_0-50-12.png
    172.3 KB · Views: 66
  • upload_2019-5-16_0-50-19.png
    upload_2019-5-16_0-50-19.png
    172.3 KB · Views: 75
This is very cool!

If you are running two trackers in a two stage rocket is there anything different? Do you still need two receivers?

Currently there are three options for a two-stage flight:
  1. If you have two ground stations, then every packet from both stages is heard and recorded on your phone, and you use your phone to switch between which one you want to watch. This is recommended. You can set up any Featherweight unit to be a second ground station, including another tracker that you or a buddy has.
  2. You can use one ground station and select which rocket your ground station is listening to during the flight. The phone will only have data for the one you’re watching. If you’re not watching one with the ground station, it will go to lost rocket mode 5 minutes after landing.
  3. You can delete your booster’s tracker from your list of devices so that it doesn’t get Bluetooth from your phone or comm from your ground station, and just watch the sustainer. As soon as the booster lands, it will go into lost rocket mode and your sustainer will relay packets from it as long as it it has a line of sight to it. If your sustainer lands (or crashes) first, then any other rocket at the launch carrying a Featherweight tracker will pass along the location. You can also set your ground station to listen to the frequency it was on, and get yourself within range of the booster to pick up its location.
  4. A pro-tip variation on #3 is to get your booster run a simulation before launch so it thinks it’s already landed, then delete it at least 5 minutes before launch to stop Bluetooth comm, and it will transmit a lost rocket packet about once every 25 seconds throughout the flight.

By the way, method #2 is currently implemented. Method #3 will be available in the next build. Method #1 is kind of working now, and a cleaner version will be a little further down the road.

Really good ideas here, Adrian! Hopefully future editions might be able to do options such as #4 in a menu system. Keep up the good work!

I am always impressed at the innovations that people in this hobby develop. We have some truly gifted people supporting us. As I said in a previous thread I will be buying some more of Adrian's magnetic switches soon.

Back