F-104 Starfighter - Semi Scale (BT-60 + 3D printed Parts + Plywood Fins - BT-80 is next)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigMacDaddy

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The last couple of weeks I have spent a good bit of time on the F-104 (for those that did not see this on FB). I started with a BT-80 version but quickly shifted down to a BT-60 version so I could more quickly protoype and test for stability. BT-60 prototype is ready to fly but some storms are pushing the maiden launch till Sunday.

I am pretty pleased with how this is coming out and OR suggests that it does not need too much nose weight to be stable. I already made a number of revisions but definitely improving how I make plane-style nose cones. Ramjets took the most time - partly since I upped the resolution of the parts used in the print so more processing power but less sanding / smoothing of parts.

1671205935905.jpeg 1671205911600.jpeg 1671205965086.jpeg 1671206238260.png
1671206907580.png
There are so many cool paint schemes and variations for this plane...
1671206667458.jpeg

Earlier versions of ramjet. I wanted to avoid a seem in the outer shell and also wanted easy assembly / easy printing (not to mention scale accuracy -- for example, the front portion of the ramjet is away from the airframe). I definitely want this model to be better looking / more impressive than the current models that are on the market.
1671206392319.jpeg 1671206423317.jpeg
I also tweaked the nosecone canopy...
1671206872886.png

People have requested the NASA version so I guess I am going to create the top booster part as an optional add-on.
1671206587191.jpeg

Also, have you looked at using the 2.5” Pro Series tubing as an alternative to the BT-80?
Yes, as a matter of fact have some coming in the mail so I can size for both. My understanding is that the ID is the same but the OD is different. I already put slightly larger edges on my 3D printed parts than the tubes they fit in since I think it looks better than if they wind up undersized so I would tentatively plan to size 3D parts to be flush with 2.6" tubes which would make them slightly larger than BT-80 but should look ok (need to test).

I never realized how good this would look.
View attachment 551301
I think it looks cleaner without the booster.
This one looks like it had wing tip pylons.

View attachment 551306
THAT is actually the paint I had recently settled on for an upcoming Fat Cats F104 build. I think it would look incredible as a rocket and also be a great compliment to my 4" HP X-15.

Earlier I was seriously considering this scheme and even bought the Monogram kit to copy the decals.
Screenshot_20221216_150330_Google.jpg
However choosing a paint for this plane is the toughest I've had yet of any rocket. There are also the shiny metal versions which would be amazing to copy. Too many great choices!

Had a pretty successful launch today of this model. It was windy so the model windcocked right off the rail but then flew pretty straight after that initial adjustment (all my rockets windcocked today but wound up landing pretty close to us after their drift back during decent). Launched on a C5-3 with just .5oz in nosecone.

1671389963642.jpeg 1671389944983.jpeg

Here is the video:

This is definitely a labor of love... Lots of iterations over the last week or so... I think I have finalized my NASA version of this plane...

1671763201489.jpeg

I was actually able to squeeze a 24mm motor mount in there (much more of a pain than you might think) and extended the tail a little bit to allow anything up to an E engine in this small plane / rocket. Looks like you need about 2oz of weight in nose if you want to launch with an E12-6.
1671763269172.jpeg

The NASA version can also add a plugged mini engine in that top pod. It is on a slight angle per the prototype so more or less aims through the CG so may be possible -- although definitely OVERKILL!
1671763408107.jpeg 1671763428322.jpeg

Finally, I also streamlined the nosecone to be more prototypical...
1671763503772.jpeg

Attachments

• 1671763330887.jpeg
    1671763330887.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Definitely go "optional" with the booster, the F-104 looks much better without it.

Please include me on the list for this kit, any idea when it might be offered?
Thanks so much for your interest and feedback.

Yes, I am doing two different versions of the boat tail and vertical tail fin to allow people to get either the NASA variant or the normal F-104. I am hoping to get the kit listed tomorrow so that I can ship them out right after Christmas.

I will post a note here once it is listed!

Looks great, I'm also in for a BT-80 version, I much prefer the single cockpit nose than the bubble double type, and that NASA white blue scheme is my favorite, there is on in the Seattle Museum of flight like that, but the classic silver/orange/yellow is also great.

Overkill/options. Depends on your attitude. 🤔
“Overkill” is not a term applicable to a fighter jet. Good rocket name though!

If you load a 13mm in the NASA version, I suspect will need some counter-nose weight?

Does the motor need to be plugged or will it be ejected or vented?

“Overkill” is not a term applicable to a fighter jet. Good rocket name though!

If you load a 13mm in the NASA version, I suspect will need some counter-nose weight?

Does the motor need to be plugged or will it be ejected or vented?

Haha... I was just looking at the 24mm E12-6 + A10PT and thinking about how much power that was compared to the C5-3 I launched on.

I will try to finish building the NASA version and see how much nose weight is needed to get CG in the same place as the other version.

Yes, needs to be a plugged engine. I think it might eject itself if there was an ejection but it might also light the vertical fin on fire since it butts up against that.

Latest posts

Back