Estes SAROS / NOMAD Nose Cone . . . Measurements Needed.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ez2cDave

Reaction score
If anyone has an Estes SAROS or NOMAD Nose Cone, could you please take some measurements for me ?

Basically, the Nose Cone has 4 "sections" . . .

(1) A straight, non-tapered section, from the base of the Nose Cone.
(2) A tapered section, above (1), leading to a smaller diameter straight section.
(3) A smaller diameter, non-tapered section, immediately above the tapered section.
(4) An Ogive "Nose Cone" section, immediately above the smaller diameter, non-tapered section.

I need the relative lengths, for each "section", and the corresponding diameters, in each area.

Thanks, in advance !

Dave F.

NOSE CONE.JPG

Basically, the Nose Cone has 4 "sections" . . .

(1) A straight, non-tapered section, from the base of the Nose Cone.
(2) A tapered section, above (1), leading to a smaller diameter straight section.
(3) A smaller diameter, non-tapered section, immediately above the tapered section.
(4) An Ogive "Nose Cone" section, immediately above the smaller diameter, non-tapered section.

I need the relative lengths, for each "section", and the corresponding diameters, in each area.

SAROS NOSE CONE- MEASUREMENTS.jpg

I have been attempting to "channel Mike Dorffler" and take myself back, mentally, to the era in which he designed the SAROS . . .

I am believe that, when Mike was designing the SAROS, he was thinking in terms of using existing Estes "off the shelf" parts, at least for the initial design, before the injection-molded version was created.

This is my "back in the day" thought process . . . To create the "SAROS" Nose Cone.

Tools Needed :

X-Acto Knife - #1 Blade
Razor Saw
Glue
Sanding Sealer
Fine Sandpaper

Parts required :

1 - JT-20 Stage Coupler - Length 3/4" ( .750" )
1 - TA-520 Balsa Adapter - Effective Length 3/4" ( .750" )
1 - BNC-5W Balsa Nose Cone - Effective Length 2 7/8" ( 2.875" )
1 - BT-20 Body Tube - A short section - Length 3/8" ( .375" )

Total "Effective Stack Length" = 4" ( 4.000" )

Construction Procedure :

( 1 ) Cut the BT-5 diameter "shoulders" off of the TA-520 coupler & BNC-5W Nose Cone.

( 2 ) Glue the "butt ends" of the TA-520 & BNC-5W together, to form a single unit.

( 3 ) Cut a 3/8" ( .375" ) long section of BT-20 Body Tube.

( 4 ) Glue the JT-20 into the 3/8" ( .375" ) long section of BT-20, to a depth of 1/8" ( .125" ).

( 5 ) Apply glue to shoulder of the TA-520 ( cut to 1/4" / .250" long ) & inside of the BT-20.

( 6 ) Slide BT-20 onto shoulder of the TA-520 & wipe off any excess glue that oozes out.

( 7 ) Allow to dry . . . Sand all seams smooth & finish with Sanding Sealer & fine Sandpaper.

Thus, the prototype "SAROS" Nose Cone is created . . .

Similarly the "SAROS" plastic Interstage shares the same dimensions as the TA-2050 . . . Effective Length 2" ( 2.000" ).

As for the Fin Can, I believe that the "original prototype" used sections of BT-50, glued between the Fins, to increase the diameter and give the impression of a "Fin Can" structure. A "Paper Adapter" provided the "simulated nozzle" of the "SAROS".

The overall "Effective Length" of the Nose Cone, using this method, is 4" ( 4.000" ).

A person, on another forum, measured a plastic "SAROS" Nose Cone, came up with an overall "Effective Length" of 4.11".

The 0.11" discrepancy in length could be accounted for in however the dimensions were supplied to the maker of the Injection Mold, used to create the mass-produced "SAROS" kit.

Thoughts ?

Dave F.

NOSE CONE.JPG
ADAPTER.JPG
FIN PATTERN - ADJ.jpg

Back