Estes ARV Condor

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Austin

Estes ARV Condor

Brief:

The Estes ARV Condor is a very slick kit which incorporates a sustainer with two gliders attached to the sides. The glider’s airfoils act as fins for the model during boost and detach at ejection, then each glider spirals in for a landing while the main sustainer lands with the aid of a streamer. USAF insignia helps dress up this little beauty and makes it a esthetically pleasing kit to launch or show.

Components:

The kit comes in a box and includes a main 7/8” body tube, two ½” glider tubes, stamped balsa fin/wings, motor mount and centering rings, tubular elastic shock cord, one booster nosecone, two glider nosecones, streamer and detailed assembly instructions.

Component Rating: 4 of 5

Construction:

Some typical Estes construction can be expected with this model, since the motor mount, retainer and shock cord follow the normal assembly procedures. A nice touch from Estes though is the fact that this model uses a tubular shock cord, rather than the frail, flat elastic band that is typical for so many of their kits. This cord is much more rugged and has survived many launches to date.

What becomes more difficult is the construction of the “wings” for the gliders and includes some complex angles that need to be set just right. Included in the instructions are templates that you cut out to aid with the angled wing assembly. CyA glue is recommended for the balsa construction, but before starting, take all the similar wing panels and stack them, then sand them evenly so you have two matching sets. Also, even though it is not listed in the instructions, bevel the root and outer edges of each wing joint so they fit flush when the pieces are glued together at the specified angle. This will result in a much stronger wing. I also used thin CyA glue to stiffen each panel and sanded them until they felt plastic-like, prior to assembly.

Once the wings are assembled, CyA a wing to each body tube, making sure they are straight on the ½” body tubes, then add a filet of CyA glue. Also, glue the vertical stab fins “perpendicular” to each wing, otherwise poor flight could occur. I recommend painting the gliders once assembled, PRIOR to gluing on their nosecones, so you can get a true balance point with the weight of the paint included; you can add additional weight inside if needed before you glue on the nosecones. Also, test fly each glider and see how they perform; the instructions have some tips on adjusting the flight pattern for them.

The gliders are held in position at the top by a plastic, cupped shoulder that slips over each glider nosecone, then pulls away when the booster separates at ejection. Two wooden dowels glued to the lower part of each glider’s body tube hook into plastic retainers at the bottom of the booster. This really works well as long as you glue the dowels on per the instructions. Moreover, once the entire model is assembled there will be some rocking of the gliders back and forth inside their mounts, but do not let this bother you; I have had many launches and the gliders always stay put until released at apogee. I’d rather have the slots a bit loose to facilitate launch then have them tight and not release. The streamer cannot handle that type of weight and a stuck glider would probably result in a damaged rocket.

Construction Rating: 4 of 5

Finishing:

Since the fins were stiffened with CyA and sanded, I simply primed and painted the model. Note that the gliders were painted ahead of the final assembly to check CG. Testors Glossy white was used on the gliders and model, while I deviated from the orange/yellow the kit uses and painted one glider in red trim and the other in gold. In addition, the nosecone was painted gold and the entire model really looks good once finished. Some wood grain still shows but does not detract from it’s appearance on the pad.

Decals were applied next and the process went well. I did add some 1/16” gold tape for trim to really help set off the model. Once everything was painted and decaled, the entire model was sprayed with Testors Dullcoat for that flat military look and it turned out really nice. Finally, the shock cord was tied to the nosecone and I opted to add a swivel link system for the streamer.

Finish: 4 of 5

Flight:

My rocket weighed in at about 2.5 oz and I was anxious to get it on the pad. An Estes A8-3 would power the first launch as a test for glider flight. Prior to launch time, I did purchase some small Pratt Heatshields and tied one to the shock cord so I didn’t have to worry about wadding. The model was placed on the pad and it was time to launch. It was a great flight; the ARV Condor took to the air slow and steady and reached an altitude of around 200’. When it separated the gliders began their spiral back to earth. Everyone was amazed at the gliders and it caught a lot of people’s attention at separation. Gliders and booster landed within 20 feet of each other and only about 30’ from the pad. The A8-3 was a good choice for a first flight and I recommend it to everyone who builds this kit.

Since then, I have had many flights on this rocket and it’s still one of my favorites. It is a perfect match for a B6-4 and achieves a hefty altitude that still produces a manageable recovery for the gliders. I did try the maximum for the model, A C6-7, and this was a BAD choice. Instead of heading straight up, the stress pushed the model up about 300 feet, then out over the fields in a nasty horizontal twisting flight. It started heading for the ground once power was gone and the ejection charge fired about 75 feet before touchdown. Unbelievably, the gliders separated and landed along with the booster with no damage. Needless to say, I got lucky and have never used a “C” motor again on this bird.

Flight/Recovery: 5 of 5

Summary:

The Estes ARv Condor is a REALLY cool kit!!! The gliders and booster work well when assembled correctly and it is a real “eye catcher” at the field. The model does require some advanced building skill, due to the nature of wing construction, but can be done easily if you take your time. Look for a lot of attention when you launch this bird; The ARV Condor is a true work of beauty and advanced design that I highly recommend to all!

Overall Rating: 4 of 5

This review is on the ARV Condor. The Condor was a late '70's booster with a single glider. I did a review on EMRR several months back on my clone. My ARV Condor, on the other hand, just recently passed onto a new astral plane. It was destroyed when the nose cone blew off instead of allowing the stages to seperate and release the gliders. The damage was too extensive to repair and since it was built several years back, the build quality did not make it worth trying. I bought another one instead. This one is a real crowd pleaser when kids are around. Just watch out for the little feet when they retrieve the gliders.

I wasn't complaining. Great review. I painted my ARV to match my original and was planning to buy decals from either JimZ or Tango Papa so they'd match even better. I'll eventually get around to it.

Cincinnati, Ohio? That makes us neighbors. Are you aware that there is an NAR section here?

Never mind. I just checked my QUARK roster. Hope to see you at the launch this weekend. Whodathunkit? I'll be bringing my clone of the original Condor, hopefully with a working glider this time.

Yea, I saw that Fort Thomas location....you're right...small world! And YUP AGAIN! I am on the Quark roster. I may have met you at a YMCA launch a few months back...it's been very busy at work lately so I haven't been out to play for a while. Just sent a couple emails off to Dave Russell...I am going to try and make the WVSOAR launch next month. Maybe even Whitakers since Ken Parker won't ever let me live it down if I don't.

As is, I am working a straight 25 day stretch so I can't make next week again. Things should get better soon though.

BTW, you may want to help me pass the word about this forum; I think it will be a great resource for the local club.

Cya,

Carl

I've only been to two launches with the club, June and July, both at the YMCA in Lebanon, so we probably have yet to meet, but I'm looking forward to it. I agree that this would be a good tool for the others in the club to use. Scott McCrate and I are both semi-regular posters on Yahoo Old Rockets and RMR, so I think he'll like this as well. I'm sure that there are more people flying in the Cincinnati area than just our little group. Maybe this will help us track them down.

Speaking of which, I flew my slightly upscale Condor with a newly built glider yesterday at the Lebanon launch. This glider was so new that I hadn't even had time to paint it yet. It was just bare balsa. Then while I was loading my rockets into my hi-tech traveling rocket holder (a large, pathetic cardboard box,) I snapped it in half. Ft. Thomas was alive with the sound of the vocal stylings of Bill Eichelberger for a few minutes. Luckily there were no neighbors or walkers about. I super glued it back together when we arrived at the launch, and midway through the afternoon judged that the winds had died down enough for me to try a launch. It arced off the pad into the wind, but didn't roll over, giving me a great view of it's rear profile. (My wife's rear profile is better, but I have to admit the Condor looked great from this angle. I know. Different board.) Since it flies on 18mm power it achieves a pretty decent altitude and when the ejection charge fired, it looked like the glider was floating just like the last one did. After a few seconds I could tell that it actually was gliding, and doing a pretty good job of it. The glider landed softly in the grass at the edge of the parking lot, but the booster landed in the lot and got dragged across the asphalt for a good distance before I could get to it. A little scraping damage, but since I haven't decaled it yet, I can touch that up. Speaking of decals, Tango Papa better warm up that printer.

Any ideas as to what would be the best way to trim the ARV gliders for better glide performance? Mine tended to fly, but despite quite a bit of tail weight, they flew in a quick, nose-down, circular path.

Back