Estes Advanced Target Drone #1913

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyOB

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I had done a review of the latest Estes Designer Special 'Box O' Parts' and here is the first rocket out of that box.

There was a nose cone of the correct shape but it was one inch too short. I increase the main tube length from 11" to 12" to get the correct length. I had spoken to various people about working with the 0.050" but could not get the duct corners to look correct. Cut halfway through the card stock, fold inward and used wood filler to fill the cut.

In the normal world, the card stock is referred to as "50 point chipboard", each point being 0.001" thickness. I had to order it from eBay, I could have ordered it from Uline but did not need 470 sheets of it. :eyeroll:

I used Krylon Banner Red paint, and decals from Excelsior Rocketry. I really enjoyed workiing with the Excelsior decals, I had about 20 minute working time before the decals set completely.

Additionally, really 'old school' techniques were used. I finished the fins with 'glue sizing' which is 50% glue and 50% water. Hard as a rock and the end grain was flawless!!!! If you go this route, be prepared to use A LOT of sandpaper! (220, 320 and wet sand 400).

So the finish is 2 coats of glue sizing, 1 coat primer, 2 coats of red. The pictures below do not have the clear coat on it yet.

A couple of things I should have done differently but for my first 'scratch' I am proud of it. (Yes, I will try not to break my arm patting myself on the back :lol:)

20150711_174238.jpg

20150711_174315.jpg

20150711_175243.jpg

Flew this model yesterday and it flew like a champ. No issues whatsoever.

When building this model I did find a couple of errors in the Rocksim file I downloaded from Rocketreviews.com. The launch lug listed is too short and should be 2 3/8" long.
Secondly, In the fin set-1 component, the item marked 'fin set' is not wide enough. It is listed as .41" in height and it actually should be 5/8" or .625 in height.

The glue sizing that I had used strengthened the balsa immensely. One of the landings was on asphalt and a 1/32 x 1/32 corner of one fin was knocked off.

With a C6-5 engine, I was able to get 640 feet.

Back