EMRR's 2nd "Virtual Rocket" Contest

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMRR

Reaction score
We just started our 2nd "Virtual Rocket" contest. Get your RockSim or our RockSim DEMO and get ready to fly......

CLICK HERE

Enjoy,
Nick

Sounds like fun.
For us DEMO users, how do we submit a fin drawing? What file format(s) can be used?:confused:

People would submit with Screen Shot in JPG or GIF format.

Looking forward to your design.

Nick

I noticed that the booster stage has to be between 6" and 12" long. Does the rocket have to have realistic staging? I don't know (never tried) if RockSim will record a system where staging fails, but I'd think gap staging or timers would be required to meet the design specs? Is this part of the consideration?

I have personally gap staged successful 10" so it is realistic.

Remember the top of the motor is at about 3" so the actual gap is between 3-7".

Go for it, then build the model to get bonus points!

Nick

A screen snap of the fin screen typically would work fine. Depending on the design, however, I sometimes find it hard to exactly identify the point's locations. If this matters to you, to be perfectly clear, I also suggest that any demo entrant record the x-y coordinates for the points in the custom design. At least for the number specified in the contest rules. If someone adds 100 points to make a fin super smooth, they can pretty much expect the person re-entering the design will only approximate the design :)

Originally posted by rstaff3
A screen snap of the fin screen typically would work fine. :)

I'm confused again:confused: :confused:
The demo version does not allow you to save or print anything. How do you get a screen snap??:confused:

In Windows, press Alt+Print Screen to get a screen capture of the active window. Press Print Screen by itself to capture the entire screen.

Then go into Word or Wordpad or most any other page, layout or design software and do Edit, Paste or Ctrl+V.

HTH,

Alt+Print Screen will copy the top screen to the Windows Clipboard, then Ctrl+V will paste it to an email.

Thanks for answering the question, Nick. I'm guessing then that I will need to include a system that will display an attempt at gap-staging. Is this correct?

My entry will have an attempt at a realistic staging design, although if I were to build it I'm not sure I wouldn't have to tweek it. But it has a tube in the booster that's long enough etc.

Due to some questions and some concerns on RockSIM limitations, I wanted to make everyone aware of these Q&A's, There are more on the contest page, but these are significant for design. I have received 2 designs and am working through these issues on those two right now.

https://www.rocketreviews.com/virtual_contest2.shtml

Allowable Motors:
Estes Motor File for RockSIM <link on site>:
Booster 18mm - C6-0 or B6-0
Booster 13mm - 1/4A3-0; 1/2A3-0; A3-0; A10-0
Sustainer 18mm - 1/2A6-2; A8-3,5; B4-2,4; B6-2,4,6; C6-3,5,7

+ I'm a little confused about the rules for the the diameter of the
sustainer section...
--- Yep, I really lost people on this one. The idea is that the tube is
selected from the database, so in my example above I chose two tubes, 1 for the booster and 1 that was at least 1/2x the diameter of the booster tube (meaning 1/2 or smaller). For the other one I chose two tubes, 1 for the booster and 1 that was at least 2x the diameter of the booster tube (meaning 2x or larger).

+ Do you have to use "real" motor combos. For instance, Rocksim will let you use a 1/2A6-0 18 mm booster engine for the low and slow, even though no engine was ever produced. Do you have to limit the 18 mm booster engines to C6-0 and B6-0?
--- Yes, for the cases that you choose the motors, they must be "real" available motors. EXCEPTION: see below, all 13mm in booster will be set to 0 delay.

+ I just went to the 2003 Estes catalog and found there were *no* -0 mini motors. When you select a motor with a delay in the booster, my sim goes nuts and assumes ejection occurs in the booster. So, can we use A10-0 or 1/4A3-0 in the booster anyways? Pretty much have to. In the real world delayed 13mm motors could be used and eject from the rocket.
--- Yes. This is now a requirement.

Winners:

1st - Chan Stevens
2nd - Bob Cox
3rd - Mike Mangieri
4th - Evan Schmidt
5th - Frank Ross
6th - Bruce Levison

Prizes:

A - Tony Huet's Legal Fund Raising - LDRS 21 DVD
B - Caveman's Redmax
C - Art Applewhites Two Kits of your choice of design
D - QuickBurst One $20 Gift Certificate for something of your choice!
E - Nanos's One complete "Eye in the Sky" exotic Digital Camera Rocket
F - Set of Advanced Information Reports from California Publishing

As a special prize from Apogee, a registered version of RockSIM will be
provided to Jim Meyers who was the highest placing DEMO version entry.

Regards,
Nick

Back