Elmers F&F replacement

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fe Dude

Reaction score
Since elmers ruined their fill and finish with a new and craptacular fomula I've been using bobdo spot putty to fill spirals, but since the colder weather is driving me inside (and I want to keep a brain cell or two) I had to find a better option.

Forgetting the new f&f was quite different, I got a tub. The texture was way too coarse. I'm sure its great for wood working, but not filling spirals.

SOLUTION: ACE brand water based wood filler. It goes on better than the old elmers, seems to dry a bit faster, and (could be a drawback) dries harder.

I'll post a picture of the tub when I get home.

Enjoy!

Sam

Since elmers ruined their fill and finish with a new and craptacular...
Forgetting the new f&f was quite different, I got a tub. The texture was way too coarse. I'm sure its great for wood working, but not filling spirals.

Sam

If your using some type of Elmers wood filler other then the one pictured below, your using the wrong type of filler.

415J5R2HEnL__SL500_AA300_.jpg

I just ran across something that looks a lot like the old Elmer's. It is sold at Sherwin Williams as a wood filler. I haven't tried it yet but it feels and looks just like the good Elmers stuff.

Unfortunately unless you have a stash of the old f&f, the stuff in the new bin is all that I saw on the shelf. I had a tub of the old stuff that worked, but it dried out one too many times, and hasn't reconstituted too nicely this last time.

IMG_20121116_004814.jpg
( ^^ avoid this stuff)

The ace replacement works nicely.

IMG_20121116_004459.jpg

Last edited:
Stay away from Lowe's and Home Depot. I've been able to find the regular CWF (orange and white tub) at Ace.

Stay away from Lowe's and Home Depot. I've been able to find the regular CWF (orange and white tub) at Ace.

I haven't had any sort of problem finding the regular CWF (orange and white tub) at Lowes.

rockets 092.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, the brown tub stuff is about like trying to fill your fins with sacked concrete... it's about like chunky peanut butter in consistency... IOW no good at all... Looks like it's got glass beads or something in it... total crap.

What you want is the stuff in the orange, white, and blue tubs... the ACE brand stuff is probably the same thing but I can't verify that personally...

I've used the ultra-lightweight (glass microsphere) spackle but honestly I'm not that thrilled with it... no body and it doesn't seem to fill anywhere near as well, meaning it'll take at least two applications and sandings to really get everything filled and smoothed to the same degree as a single application of the regular Elmer's CWF...

Just avoid the brown tub crap...

Later! OL JR :)

Back