Eggtimer Quantum - Servo Wiring

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cagz

Reaction score
I must be missing something obvious.

What is the correct way to connect quantum to an SG90 mini servo on a single battery configuration ?

I tried
Servo Vcc -> DP/B+
Servo GND -> Main -
Servo PWM -> Main +

But nothing happens although I observe change in voltages during a test fire.

Any help is appreciated.

Cagz

You're close. Assuming that your servo can handle the approximately 7.5V that you're going to get out of the deployment outputs, you need to add a low-value resistor, maybe 39 ohms or so (1/4 W) across the terminals. This will pull the signal down to near 0V... otherwise, your servo is going to see the low-current continuity sense voltage and won't get the pulses. (Those outputs are designed to switch CURRENT, not VOLTAGE). Also, connect the servo GND to DP-, NOT the - lead of the output. Finally, put a 100-220 uF or so electrolytic or tantalum capacitor across the servo power leads to help keep its noise away from the Quantum.

The latest version of the Quantum board (B3) has separate logic-level pads for servos, similar to what we did for the Proton and Quasar. That makes hooking up servos a lot easier... you don't need the resistors across the deployment outputs because you're not using them. You would still want to connect the servo's power to DP+/B+ (or BATTERY + on the Quasar), and the GND/DP-/BATTERY- pads, and you would still want to add that power filtering capacitor as close to the servo as possible.

In general, we recommend using as separate battery for servos, for noise reduction. That allows you to use a 1S Lipo if your servos are small enough and will take them, or a separate battery and power supply if your servo is designed for 5V-6V .

Back