EasyMega and Eggtimer WiFi

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StanO

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, I’m in the process of completing the sustainer for a planned 2-stage. My hope is to launch the sustainer as a single stage multiple times with different motors to check out deployments, timing, etc. However, I wasn’t smart enough to check battery requirements before I decided on altimeters and electronics. My plan, and we all know how plans go, was to use an Eggtimer WiFi switch with an EasyMega and for backup a Raven3 with WiFi switch.

Of course my avbay has been built and constraints exist. I do have room for extra LiPo batteries and wiring. The dilemma as some of you know is that the WiFi switch requires a 2S battery. And per Cris at Eggtimer, “The WiFi Switch won't work with a 1S Lipo, there's just not enough voltage for the WiFi module.” On the other hand the AltusMetrum manual for the EasyMega says, “TeleMega, EasyMega and TeleMetrum are only designed to operate off a single-cell Lithium Polymer battery and cannot be used with any other kind. Connecting a different kind of battery to any of these will destroy the board.” Hence my dilemma. With those kinds of warnings and me not being an electronics guy I am asking for any advice. Is there a way to get those 2 devices to work off of the same battery?

I’ve read posts on the forum where JimJarvis50 has done something like this but I can’t reconcile what he has done with the above.

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks, StanO

Hi all, I’m in the process of completing the sustainer for a planned 2-stage. My hope is to launch the sustainer as a single stage multiple times with different motors to check out deployments, timing, etc. However, I wasn’t smart enough to check battery requirements before I decided on altimeters and electronics. My plan, and we all know how plans go, was to use an Eggtimer WiFi switch with an EasyMega and for backup a Raven3 with WiFi switch.

Of course my avbay has been built and constraints exist. I do have room for extra LiPo batteries and wiring. The dilemma as some of you know is that the WiFi switch requires a 2S battery. And per Cris at Eggtimer, “The WiFi Switch won't work with a 1S Lipo, there's just not enough voltage for the WiFi module.” On the other hand the AltusMetrum manual for the EasyMega says, “TeleMega, EasyMega and TeleMetrum are only designed to operate off a single-cell Lithium Polymer battery and cannot be used with any other kind. Connecting a different kind of battery to any of these will destroy the board.” Hence my dilemma. With those kinds of warnings and me not being an electronics guy I am asking for any advice. Is there a way to get those 2 devices to work off of the same battery?

I’ve read posts on the forum where JimJarvis50 has done something like this but I can’t reconcile what he has done with the above.

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks, StanO
Yes, this is possible using both a 2S and 1S battery. Wiring diagram attached. I'm doing this in the Balls project this year.

JimWifi 2S 1S.png

Cris (Eggtimer Rocketry) changed the regulator and caps a while back. The wifi switch and mini switch WILL work with 1S lipo's. You just need enough capacity to give you the life you need. Here is the quote from the revised Mini switch... "Some altimeters (such as the Featherweight Raven and the Altus Metrum Easy Mini) are designed for 1S LiPo batteries; you CAN use those altimeters with a Mini Switch if you have the A7 version which supports 1S battery operation.

If you have an Older wifi switch or mini-switch, and are willing to make a few changes, he will sell you the "bits" to allow 1S operation.

You CAN use a WiFi Switch with a 1S Lipo, we've been shipping 1S-compatible switches for nearly two years. If your WiFi Switch is fairly recent, it should be just fine with 1S. If it's older, we, have a FREE upgrade... you just swap out the regulator and two caps.

You CAN use a WiFi Switch with a 1S Lipo, we've been shipping 1S-compatible switches for nearly two years. If your WiFi Switch is fairly recent, it should be just fine with 1S. If it's older, we, have a FREE upgrade... you just swap out the regulator and two caps.
Would have been nice to know that a month ago. Sigh... I'll need 3 regulators and 6 caps - before too long. Thanks for the upgrades!

Jim

Would have been nice to know that a month ago. Sigh... I'll need 3 regulators and 6 caps - before too long. Thanks for the upgrades!

Jim
Look at the regulators, if they are labeled "LL33" then you already have the 1S version. If you need the 1S components, PM me with your shipping address and I'll send them to you.

Thanks Jim and Cris. It looks like I have the information I need and will contact Cris for parts as needed. I believe I have one of the later versions and one of the older versions of the switch. Thanks again.

Hi there,

Does anybody have a wiring diagram for connecting the continuity channels on the Eggtimer WiFi switch to an Easymega? Struggling to figure it out.

Thanks.

For each continuity-check channel, connect one terminal to the "-" lead of the battery, and the other terminal to one of the igniter terminals on the Easy Mega. If you see continuity without the igniter installed, switch to the other terminal on the Easy Mega.

In general, you want to connect them between the non-common lead of the battery (usually but not always "-") and the switched lead of the igniter. The other lead of the igniter is the battery common... usually "+". AFAIK, Altus Metrum, PF, MW, and Featherweight all have the "+" lead on the battery as the common lead to the igniters; they switch the "-" side.

BTW, there's an Eggtimer WiFi Switch Connection Guide in the Support/WiFi Switch section of our web site... it has some pictures of various altimeters that we did a few years back. Look at the PF picture... it's probably the one closest to your Easy Mega (I didn't have any AM altimeters to take pictures of at the time, although I do have an Easy Mini laying around now so I may add that to the document).

Last edited:
Back