Eggtimer & Lipo Batteries

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decided to share a pic of my setup for an e-bay I am putting together for my LOC Caliber. This is a Model A18 Quantum, never flown it yet. I also have a B2 model. I noticed Eggtimer has a newer version out now. I'd like to build two more of these for my Patriot (hint hint ;) ) All I need now is a 3" tube coupler, stiffy tube, and 3" Switchband. I am also going to install an Aeropack 54L on the LOC Caliber. It already got a flight in with an I65 and was recovered sucessfully. Now I am going use it to test altimeters :D

Quantum Sled.jpg
The A18 model Quantum on the sled I designed. Using a Screw Switch to as the main power switch.

Switch and Battery Holder.jpg
Here you can see the Screw Switch and the Battery Holder. I wonder if its a good idea to charge the battery in the holder, or should I remove it for charging?

Be VERY wary of cheap "JST" connectors, more often than not they're cheap knock-offs and the pins may have a lot of wiggle in them. I have literally seen the pins pop out of the connectors. Plus, I have seen a lot of them that are pre-wired BACKWARDS... you need to check the polarity on every connector.
Can you recommend non-cheap JST premade connectors (w/pigtails) that have the correct polarity...starting to wire up my avbay. Thanks!

Can you recommend non-cheap JST premade connectors (w/pigtails) that have the correct polarity...starting to wire up my avbay. Thanks!

I gave up on manufactured JST connectors long ago and make my own. I use these crimpers and stranded silicone wire. You can make any length and get the polarity correct. I also make connections for my deployment charge using all black wire for for drogue and all red wire for main.

1710812637816.png

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N1RFZZ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do you have a recommended connector kit? Do you twist the wires together?

I bought in bulk years ago. I think I got them on ebay but I suspect you could also find on Amazon or a RC shop. No twisting. You use the crimpers to crimp on the male and female pins. Then insert the pins into the red housings.

Apparently, the connectors that are used are JST-RCY. The only crimper I can find for the female JST-RCY connectors is over $1000.

If I'm going to go this route, I'll have to change over my eggtimers (all of them) to a different JST plug.

What plug do you like? @cerving you have any other ideas?

Apparently, the connectors that are used are JST-RCY. The only crimper I can find for the female JST-RCY connectors is over $1000.
I bought these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BJVGL95T/) for crimping JST-PH terminals. Can't see why you couldn't use them for JST-RCY. Might have to do some minor forming to get the terminal to fit in perfectly, but not too bad.

If you want to change connectors, I suggest looking into XT-30s. Solder direct to the connector, and the housings are keyed. Only downside is slightly larger form factor and weight.

If I'm going to go this route, I'll have to change over my eggtimers (all of them) to a different JST plug.

What plug do you like? @cerving you have any other ideas?
The crimper I posted will do JST-RCY / JST-SPY.

https://www.amazon.com/CQRobot-Connector-Industrial-Integrated-Electronics/dp/B07QKMBLWR?th=1

You might be able to find a better price but these are what I use for my eggtimer battery and charge connections.

I gave up on manufactured JST connectors long ago and make my own.
Same here. I had a weird problem on my L2 electronics bay build that I eventually tracked down to an intermittent "JST" connector (parenthesis because virtually everything you find online are Chinese clones of JST connectors, with low quality compared to the real thing). For that reason, all of the batteries I fly with have been modified to use a Molex Mini Fit Jr. wire-to-wire connector with a mating connector on the electronics bay.

OK, so where does one get the JST SYP male and female housings that are either genuine JST or at least high quality Chinese knockoffs?

Back