Eggtimer & Lipo Batteries

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Reaction score
I am looking at ordering some lipo batteries for the several Eggtimer altimeters I have assembled. I have built Quantums and Quarks. I searched the forum and saw several suggestions but I am a little confused on what to get. I know I need 2S for the Quantums. Can someone suggest what I need from Amazon for batteries, cables to connect to the altimeter, and possibility what charger to get? Thanks.

The 2S batteries are a little more of a pain to recharge because being 2 cells, they have the balance connector along with the battery connector that has to be plugged into the charger. 1S batteries are much easier to recharge because you only have to plug in the battery lead.
I have two chargers, one that only uses a 12V DC input that works great with a car starter as a power source in the field, and the SkyRC Imax B6AC that can plug into AC outlet, along with using a 12V DC source. It's about the only one I use now. It will handle up to 6S batteries and LiPo, LiFe and LiIon types and you can plug it into your computer to control charging. I think it's an amazing charger for the price.

As for batteries, the larger the mAhs the longer they will last. You just need to be conscience of the physical size so they will fit into the av-bay, nose cone, or where ever you are putting them. I got these for my GPS unit because they are long and narrow and fit on a sled that fits into a 38mm MMT in my nosecones. Also at 1200 mAh, they will last all day for multiple flights without needing recharge.

I came here to ask basically the same questions. I've started to put together a few of the kits I got, but I'm having problems getting power to them.
Most of the 2S batteries I'm looking at on Amazon are XT30 or XT60, so I decided to standardize on XT30 for my power supply. Looking at chargers is confusing, most of the cheaper ones don't come with a power supply. I ended up getting this one along with an XT60 to XT30 pigtail. I only used it to charge the batteries the once, but it was simple and worked.

I got this battery to start and some XT30 leads, but the leads are 16AWG, so they don't fit in the the through holes on the boards. No problem, I order some screw terminals, but they're .2in pitch and the holes are the LCD board are just close enough that they don't fit. I did order some solder-on XT30 connectors so I could put a new end on this stick battery.

So my question for @cerving is, do you have a recommended wire for the power connector? Would 22AWG fit the holes, or should I go with 24AWG? Is there a screw terminal that will work for most of the kits?

I only use Eggtimer stuff. You definitely want 7.4V 2S LiPos and a minimum of 300 mAh. I have a couple Venom Fly 300 mAh and 430 mAh units that are not sold anymore.

I also have Crazepony 400 mAh (Crazepony 400mAh 2S 7.4V 30C LiPo Battery Pack with JST Plug for Micro ... https://www.amazon.com/Crazepony-400mAh-Battery-Racing-Quadcopter/dp/B07PF8ZJKX) and BetaFPV 300 mAh (BETAFPV 2pcs 300mAh 2S Lipo Battery FPV Battery 45C/90C 7.4V XT30 ... https://www.amazon.com/BETAFPV-300mAh-Battery-Silicone-Beta75X/dp/B07R7856RX)

For charging, try the Tenergy TB.
Tenergy TB-6AB Balance Charger Discharger 1S-6S Digital Battery Pack ... https://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-Balance-Charger-Discharger-Connectors/dp/B00466PKE0

I wire everything with silicone 26 AWG wire. I used to use JST connectors but find that they are prone to failing and have switched to XT30s

I only use Eggtimer stuff. You definitely want 7.4V 2S LiPos and a minimum of 300 mAh. I have a couple Venom Fly 300 mAh and 430 mAh units that are not sold anymore.

I also have Crazepony 400 mAh (Crazepony 400mAh 2S 7.4V 30C LiPo Battery Pack with JST Plug for Micro ... https://www.amazon.com/Crazepony-400mAh-Battery-Racing-Quadcopter/dp/B07PF8ZJKX) and BetaFPV 300 mAh (BETAFPV 2pcs 300mAh 2S Lipo Battery FPV Battery 45C/90C 7.4V XT30 ... https://www.amazon.com/BETAFPV-300mAh-Battery-Silicone-Beta75X/dp/B07R7856RX)

For charging, try the Tenergy TB.
Tenergy TB-6AB Balance Charger Discharger 1S-6S Digital Battery Pack ... https://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-Balance-Charger-Discharger-Connectors/dp/B00466PKE0

I wire everything with silicone 26 AWG wire. I used to use JST connectors but find that they are prone to failing and have switched to XT30s
What was failing in the JSTs? I use a lot of them and want to know what to look for proactively.

I like a 2s 530mah sized unit because it’s a tiny bit smaller than a 9v.
IMG_0491.jpeg

IMG_6339.jpeg

The thing about 2S batteries that are sold with large current connectors is that they are designed to power motors for drones which are large current draws. For use with altimeters, you can change out those connectors for smaller wires and lower rated connectors and still safely power your flight electronics. Just don't mess with the balance connectors. Those are required to properly charge those 2S batteries.

I think that LiPo batteries are way overkill for powering altimeters. The only reason you need more than a 9V battery is the WiFi connections that are huge power hogs. Without the WiFi, most altimeters will run for a whole season on a single 9V. With the WiFi, you need more mAh then 9V can supply. In either case, you don't need the high C ratings of LiPos that are designed to dump their whole charge in minutes powering flight motors on a drone.

I think that LiPo batteries are way overkill for powering altimeters. The only reason you need more than a 9V battery is the WiFi connections that are huge power hogs. Without the WiFi, most altimeters will run for a whole season on a single 9V.
I'd agree for Altimeters, but since the original poster asked about Quantums and Quarks I believe we're talking about full flight computers that need to power charges. 9V can work for that - I use them with my Missileworks RRCs - but a high C+mAh LiPo is much nicer. For the Quantum you're crazy not the use the WiFi - it's very convenient.

Cris is also pretty explicit about waving off 9V in favor of LiPos. :)

I'd agree for Altimeters, but since the original poster asked about Quantums and Quarks I believe we're talking about full flight computers that need to power charges. 9V can work for that - I use them with my Missileworks RRCs - but a high C+mAh LiPo is much nicer. For the Quantum you're crazy not the use the WiFi - it's very convenient.

Cris is also pretty explicit about waving off 9V in favor of LiPos. :)
Yes, if you are using WiFi, I agree, you really have to use the C+mAh LiPos. 9V won't work for that.
Without the WiFi, I've had DD altimeters that fired ematches last for 3 years on a single 9V. My personal choice is to use the 9V batteries and not have to charge batteries every flight, just so I can spend more time getting the WiFi up and working to arm the altimeters than spend the half second it takes me to pull a pin. But that's just me. Tech is nice, but I don't believe it's always better and definitely not faster.

What was failing in the JSTs? I use a lot of them and want to know what to look for proactively.

I like a 2s 530mah sized unit because it’s a tiny bit smaller than a 9v.
View attachment 622443

View attachment 622444
I've had more than one disconnect power during setup and one that failed during flight. I've had the conductors pull out of the pin clamps and/or the plastic sheath when disconnecting. I find that after cycles of disconnecting, the male pins seem to come loose and don't stay fully engaged. The only thing holding them in the plastic casing is a tiny prong and the only thing holding the conductor to the pin is a little bit of friction. Maybe I'm ham-handed, but they're just too dodgy IMO. The XT30 connector is soldered to the conductor. It's slightly larger but more robust.

I power my quasar and soon to be quark with these.

URGENEX 7.4V Lipo Battery with JST Plug 1200mAh 30C 2S Rechargeable Lithium Batteries Fit for Most 1/10 1/16 1/18 1/24 Scale RC Cars Racing Trucks and 1 to 2 USB Charger https://a.co/d/hBMfO8D

One thing go bear in mind when choosing between JST connectors and XT30 connectors is where you are going to use it. For 38 mm ebays the smaller the better.

1705355359598.png

Thanks to your guys suggestions, this is what I decided to go with. I figured I can order more batteries as needed and the usb charger would be handy for on the field charging while the Tenergy will be used for the main charging, balancing, conditioning, etc.

Be VERY wary of cheap "JST" connectors, more often than not they're cheap knock-offs and the pins may have a lot of wiggle in them. I have literally seen the pins pop out of the connectors. Plus, I have seen a lot of them that are pre-wired BACKWARDS... you need to check the polarity on every connector.

I only use silicone insulated wires on the jst connectors. Also, I picked up up a kit and crimpers to make my own if I needed longer wires. Again, all knockoffs of real JST but your milage will vary...
Ken

Got my new "toys" today. Watched a youtube video on how to use the charger and topped off the two batteries. Then I played with one of the quantum's I had in my office. Now I need more Eggtimers to build :D :D

Looks like a keeper... these guys have almost everything in stock. Unfortunately they don't have the Holy Grail of 2S batteries... those Turnigy 300 mAH's that fit in in an 18mm tube.

Looks like a keeper... these guys have almost everything in stock. Unfortunately they don't have the Holy Grail of 2S batteries... those Turnigy 300 mAH's that fit in in an 18mm tube.
I always check Hobby King first for batteries https://hobbyking.com/en_us/batteries-chargers.html. Best selection anywhere. They were out of the Turnigy 300mAh batteries for quite a while but are back in stock. $3.04 per battery, dirt cheap.

Turnigy is Hobby Kings line of batteries. I used them long ago but stopped after numerous issues with their batteries in my R/C stuff. Never have looked for anything that small ( 18mm).

Back