Eggfinder LCD - Handheld Display Receiver for Eggfinder GPS Tracker

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of the HC-06 vendors are overseas and ship free via epacket. I can't get them any cheaper than you can, so other than the convenience of getting everything from one place (which may be important to you, but I have no way of knowing that) there's really no value that I can add. It's the same with antennas, too.

Thanks! Would be nice if the Eggtimer site had one, save on shipping costs.

Seconded. Linux and Android would be wonderful for me in the field.

Are there plans to sell a known-good bluetooth transmitter for pairing Eggfinder rx with a phone?

Something like this will work: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-S...178?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec80c03a2

Pictures of the non-LCD version here:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?66414-When-to-get-Telemetry&p=716829#post716829

Pictured is a Nexus 7 WiFi only with GPS Rocket Locator on the screen. The EF receiver bonds to the Android device through the HC-06 and both "your" position and "rocket" position is displayed in realtime. If one uses a phone with internet access and a tower is in range, the maps will download in realtime. If no maps are available, one still can navigate to the red "rocket" dot as the screen will still show the
relative positions.

The LCD version of the EF receiver will be great for one who has a handheld mapping GPS and will be inputting the rocket coordinates
by hand to navigate to the rocket with that device. Or if one simply wants an extra readout display and wires it up with an HC-06 it will work just like the unit in the pictures.

A word of advice: Most handheld mapping GPS units like Garmin and what have you, are designed to be read in sunlight. Hold the screen at a bit of an angle and one can see the screen quite clearly. An Android device/phone is not so good hence I use a box painted flat black
on the inside to help with screen visibility. Also a matte screen protector can blunt the shine and reflection off the screen and make it
more visible in sunlight. It's not has good as a Garmin screen but is vastly more visible than an unshaded Android device. Kurt

A word of advice: Most handheld mapping GPS units like Garmin and what have you, are designed to be read in sunlight. Hold the screen at a bit of an angle and one can see the screen quite clearly. An Android device/phone is not so good hence I use a box painted flat black
on the inside to help with screen visibility. Also a matte screen protector can blunt the shine and reflection off the screen and make it
more visible in sunlight. It's not has good as a Garmin screen but is vastly more visible than an unshaded Android device. Kurt

I find the OLED-screened devices (lately, only Samsung and Motorola seem to be using them) to be readable in broad daylight. Apparently, the Galaxy S5 is blindingly bright in addition to the characteristic cancellation of ambient light.

I find the OLED-screened devices (lately, only Samsung and Motorola seem to be using them) to be readable in broad daylight. Apparently, the Galaxy S5 is blindingly bright in addition to the characteristic cancellation of ambient light.

Thanks for pointing that out. I experimented with the N7 and it was a lot better in that box to squelch the glare. Holds the EF receiver also so I can
hold it one handed.

Another thing is if one already uses an APRS tracker like a Beeline GPS, it's possible to use APRSDroid with the OSM maps in their Android device: https://aprsdroid.org/osm/ Get a Mobilinkd B/T TNC: https://www.mobilinkd.com/ and plug that into a handi talkie. If they're a ham radio person they may likely
have an Android device and an H/T already. For the investment in the Mobilinkd, they can have a portable receiving station that can work with their APRS trackers and Egg Finders.

The problem with APRS trackers are the price of the equipment and getting the ham license. It's nice there is the Egg Finder so more folks can economically
find their rockets. APRS has a few advantages but one really gets hammered with the cost investment for a portable APRS ground station. The Egg Finders can be mighty fine for 90-95% of the fliers. Kurt

I chose black-on-yellow for the Eggfinder LCD receiver because it's extremely visible in daylight. The blue ones are way cooler, but you can't read them as well in daylight. The main reason I made the Eggfinder LCD was because I got really tired of trying to read my laptop in the desert sun, and the wind nearly blew it off the roof of my car once. I figured if I had those problems, a lot of other people must be having them too.

BTW, I shipped out some of the Eggfinder LCD receivers today, the ones that were ordered stand-alone without an TX transmitter. I sold out of transmitters and I just got the parts yesterday, so the rest of the orders should go out by Monday.

The Eggfinder LCD Assembly/Users Guide is now on the web site, under Eggfinder Support/Documentation. All outstanding Eggfinder orders have been shipped out, I have a few Eggtimer orders that are waiting... I have to reflow mount the parts to the board. They should be shipped out Monday.

We at Eggtimer Rocketry are proud to announce the Eggfinder LCD, a handheld LCD display receiver for use with the Eggfinder GPS tracking system.

o Frequency is easily programmable, so you can use it with any Eggfinder TX transmitter

Cris Erving
Eggtimer Rocketry

Cris, I was interesting in ordering a LCD starter set to go with 915 Mhz TX I have now... can you explain how freq is changed... thought I'd asked for another TX with a different frez than the one I have... I'm see others at launches that have egg finders. Can this be changed in the field, does it require laptop, etc?

The docs are posted on the Eggtimer Rocketry web site now, so you can read all about it. Basically, you hold a button down for at least 5 seconds during the status display and it goes into programming mode. All of the programming is done with the button and the LCD, no laptop. It can definitely be done in the field, I did it at ROCStock to go between 915 and 917 MHz.

Cris, I was interesting in ordering a LCD starter set to go with 915 Mhz TX I have now... can you explain how freq is changed... thought I'd asked for another TX with a different frez than the one I have... I'm see others at launches that have egg finders. Can this be changed in the field, does it require laptop, etc?

The docs are posted on the Eggtimer Rocketry web site now, so you can read all about it. Basically, you hold a button down for at least 5 seconds during the status display and it goes into programming mode. All of the programming is done with the button and the LCD, no laptop. It can definitely be done in the field, I did it at ROCStock to go between 915 and 917 MHz.

Thanks, I'll place an order when we get back from Scout Camp.

Most of the HC-06 vendors are overseas and ship free via epacket. I can't get them any cheaper than you can, so other than the convenience of getting everything from one place (which may be important to you, but I have no way of knowing that) there's really no value that I can add. It's the same with antennas, too.

For me, I'd be willing to pay a couple bucks extra for the convenience of getting it all from one source.

FWIW, my LCD arrived today. Time to break out the soldering iron! :) As usual, your shipping is very prompt

-Kevin

URGENT - It has come to my attention that my vendor shipped me the 433 MHz Hope RF modules instead of 915 MHz. Since the frequency on the Eggfinder LCD is programmable, I don't open them and reprogram them like I do with the 915's in the transmitter and RX dongle receiver, so they don't get checked. PLEASE CHECK THE MARKING ON THE BOTTOM OF THE RF MODULE, IF IT IS NOT 915 MHZ THEN DO NOT USE IT. Email me back at [email protected] for a replacement and a stamped return envelope. Sorry about this, I've raked my vendor over the coals about this already... Cris

Got mine yesterday ! Woot !! :grin:

On the eggFinder TX my Hope RF module has a small black dot by 915 ..so sounds like I am ok .

Kenny

Got mine yesterday, too. Unfortunately 433 MHz.

John

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Cris,

When will the replacement RF modules be available?

John

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

They're in transit, I expect them by tomorrow.

Cris, you can put me at the bottom of your priority list for folks who need new modules -- I have no immediate need (I won't be flying until August, soonest). Plus, I have several tracking options available to me.

-Kevin

Replacement RF modules arrived today, I'm sending out replacements for the 433 MHz modules (with a postage paid return envelope). Also shipping the Eggfinder LCD orders that I put on hold waiting for the 915 MHz modules to arrive.

I've posted the build pictures and pictures of the programming screens on the web site. I'll post pictures of the case as soon as I hack another one up... I didn't take pictures of the first one I did.

Here you go Cris:
054.jpg

I just received an HC-06 to add to the RX, and ordered a high gain (16 dBi) magnetic base antenna Kurt suggested in the original thread:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cellular-c..._Network_Antennas&hash=item5afcd4544a&afsrc=1

Hoping to get it all to work with my laptop as a backup RX for my higher flights later this year.

Thanks for the updated users manual on your website. I'm gonna drill a hole in the case to access the little push button on the RX board, so I can change settings without opening up the case.

Here you go Cris:
054.jpg

I just received an HC-06 to add to the RX, and ordered a high gain (16 dBi) magnetic base antenna Kurt suggested in the original thread:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cellular-c..._Network_Antennas&hash=item5afcd4544a&afsrc=1

Hoping to get it all to work with my laptop as a backup RX for my higher flights later this year.

Thanks for the updated users manual on your website. I'm gonna drill a hole in the case to access the little push button on the RX board, so I can change settings without opening up the case.

Only thing I can add about that antenna is at least the one I received has a weak magnet and with the whip length, I wouldn't drive with it at highway speeds. Perfectly fine for stationary monitoring. Wished I lived closeby as I would setup Xastir tor recording the flight. Could examine the data packets more closely after the flight.

Am currently at Field Day. If one goes to google aprs and type in KC9LDH-7 that's where I'm at. Can't figure out how to insert the address with this tethered Nexus 7 otherwise I'stick the adress in. Kurt

Thanks for the pic, Wayco. Silly questions - what size is the box (I like that my other Rx fits in my pocket), and can the antenna be mounted on the end instead of the side (so the box can slip into my pocket)?

Thanks for the pic, Wayco. Silly questions - what size is the box (I like that my other Rx fits in my pocket), and can the antenna be mounted on the end instead of the side (so the box can slip into my pocket)?

This unit won't fit in your pocket, unless you have really big pockets. It's 6"x 3" x 2". The antenna is mounted to the board, and unless you get creative with some sort of adapter, that's where it has to be. I'm planning on using my original design to retrieve rockets and keeping this unit as a backup at the launch site.

The production unit is actually a little bit larger. I wanted to get one that was thinner, like a handheld test instrument box, but those enclosures were $10-$12 in any kind of quantity. No way I could put that in a $55 unit. Of course, if it's worth the $12 to you, you CAN buy one on your own and mount it... the idea of including an enclosure with the kit was to make it as complete as possible. That's the rationale for the 4xAA battery box too, you can save space by using a 2S LiPo instead.

I was looking at the circuit board itself, sandwiched with the LCD screen, and it could be packaged in a much smaller case, maybe in one like what I used to put my RX and HC-06 in. Routing the antenna would still be difficult, but could be done. Small flat lipo battery and you have a pocket sized unit.

I am going to be putting together my new Eggfinder as soon as it gets here and I wanted to upgrade the antennas with the rubber duckies. I found them on Ebay but they come with the male screw-on bases that get soldered onto the circuit board. Where do I get these?

My LCD is up and running. :)

Fired up the first time....after I fixed a couple bad solder joints. Man, it sucks getting old!

-Kevin

They might come with your kit. Cris gave me a set when I bought another TX for Sharon. If you don't get any, I have some spare ones, or you could get them from Cris.

They are also available on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PCB-mount-...Coaxial_Cables_Connectors&hash=item4153858ae6

Got my starter set today and man was I impressed Cris. Came with everything! I was a little intimidated at first with how small it was as I have never soldered anything that small before. After I finished mounting the GPS module it was just like the instructions say, the hard part was done. I did what the instructions said and took a short "beverage" break and admired my work. A couple hrs later and I was done! Now it's on to the LCD Rx. Wayne did you go with the battery box that comes with the kit or did you go with Lipo's for both Tx and Rx? Can you post a pic of the inside of the black box showing everything. I just want to see how you set up the inside of your black box. Thanks Cris for a great product and thanks Wayne for your help also. I know your pretty busy with your L3 project. Anyone else who is on the fence or a little intimidated about building your own tracker, I say go for it! You can't beat the price of this little gem of a tracker.Eggfinder 001.jpg

Back