EggFinder GPS Graphical Mapping Program Update

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too bad this didn't flesh out for you. I bought the $70 WinBook back in January hoping it would. I gave up waiting and now just use my Eggfinder GPS with a $5 bluetooth card built in, my Android phone and a free bluetooth GPS app. No muss, no fuss, no wires. I believe a few people have it working now with cached maps as well.

Too bad this didn't flesh out for you. I bought the $70 WinBook back in January hoping it would. I gave up waiting and now just use my Eggfinder GPS with a $5 bluetooth card built in, my Android phone and a free bluetooth GPS app. No muss, no fuss, no wires. I believe a few people have it working now with cached maps as well.

The program, APRSISCE/32 works fine. It's a PITA for a non-Ham without APRS experience to setup. Once setup it's rock steady. The problem is the MapQuest
photomap set is switching to a Cloud server (spell that one will have to eventually pay) and direct download via APRSISCE/32 won't be possible anymore.
APRSISCE/32 can cache any of the accessible map tile sets by turning off purging in the program. That will make it impossible (after July 11th) for a new user
to cache the photomaps. The other open source maps will still be cacheable with this app. There are other maps that can still be used so all is not
completely lost.

GPS Rocket Locator is evolving and might get to a reliable caching scheme. I've tried caching but the cache size is limited and once one exits the app and then opens it up without internet access, they may get the blank screen.

There are APRS tracking programs that will work with your tablet but there is a learning curve and it helps to have as large a microSD card to store maptiles for portable use.

I don't like having to mess with manual inputting of lat/long and real time monitoring on map allows one to know where to point their head to try to get a visual on the main deployment. Spell that I'm lazy and don't want to risk making a mistake of typing an incorrect position. If I can get that
information into a tracking program automatically, it eliminates a source of error. Kurt

Last edited:
Francois has the Android program "GPS Rocket Locator" configured to download and store maptiles. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more easier than my hack in this thread. I'm going to give it a whirl tonight.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...cketLocator-offline-map&p=1601003#post1601003

This will be perfect for EggFinder GPS tracker type devices. If this pans out, holee molee, get ready for easier recovery of out of sight flights. Kurt

Back