ebay lids - which one is fixed? which one comes loose?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave S.

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
On an ebay there are two lids/bulkplates, one on each end. Isn't one bulkplate usually fixed along the threaded rods(s) by nuts on both sides, with the other just having nuts on the outside surface? To remove the entire sled assembly from the coupler, you remove the nuts on the outside of the second lid - right.

My main question - is there a standard or preferred lid to be the removeable one? The one facing aft or the one facing the tip of the nose cone. I'm thinking it may not really matter, but is there a standard way of doing this?

Isn't one bulkplate usually fixed along the threaded rods(s) by nuts on both sides, with the other just having nuts on the outside surface?

Way back when, it was common to retrofit into an existing coupler that had a bulkplate already in place.

Maybe I’m not very observant, but I haven’t noticed that arrangement lately.

I always keep the forward lid attached to the rod/sled and that’s usually my main parachute. Don’t think there’s any set rules as long as you get the charges wired to the correct parachute (main/drogue).

Dave --

I can remove the bulk plate from either end of the coupler but the drogue side ( aft ) is fastened with Nylon Lock Nuts and the Main end ( forward ) is Nut-n-Washer.

I don't recall ever removing the drogue-side plate now that I think about it ...

-- kjh

I use unique 4 wire connectors for the D end and the M end. That way it makes it very difficult for me to hook them up backwards. (I use 2 charges for both D and M connected to two different altimeters.) I leave the D end attached to the all threads so only the M end is removed. I take apart after every flight to either replace batteries or charge them depending on type. Also, to download data from either my MissileWorks or Perfectflite altimeters, I need to be able to plug in the interface cables. Inspecting the ebay electronics after a flight is a good idea. Just this past weekend at LDRS41 when I opened the ebay I found that a soldered connection to the battery box had broken off, probably due to landing (even when the M chute was deployed). Fortunately, the altimeter had fired all 4 charges (D & M) before the connection broke.

Mine are both removable, but one end is designed to be kind of fixed, and I usually secure the sled to that end. I just run short wires to the 'fixed' end and long wires to the 'remove' end so I can access stuff. Usually, for no good reason, my 'remove' end is opposite the motor.

Back