Dyno Soar Rocketry Aurora build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveNeill

SNG Studio Ventura
Reaction score
Got my first kit from Frank sitting on my doorstep last night. Packed well, no damage.

Very complete, all parts extremely well cut and lots of pre-installed stuff like rail buttons, hinged elevons, wing halves and more. Very nice bag of parts, control rods, velcro, connectors and more. BTW the depron is just excellent quality. No ripples and waves. Very smooth surface.

Pre-marked body tubes for proper alignments. This is all very well thought out. I am very pleased.

It got here in 3 days after ordering it to Ventura California. A lot of bang for your buck here folks. I'll be going back for the YF-12 (or SR-71).

Will post some build picks tonight but if you can't wait just go here: https://dynasoarrocketry.com/

Thanks Frank for the excellent care you have put into these kits. Not to mention how well you get them to fly. Well designed.IMG_20180823_174758693-1.jpg

Franks excellent build. I ordered the decals from Sticker Shock.

Got the Clipper framed up. Believe it or not I have never worked with foam safe CA. It was different and it worked but I experimented with it first. It sets slower than regular CA and it flows differently I found. You use it very sparingly.

Everything went together easy ans as per instructions. I had two HS 55's in my pile, one black and the other the transparent blue. I ran them on the radio with elevons set before I glued them in place so everything was at neutral.

I'm waiting for two things in the mail. A bunch of 18 inch servo extensions which will be here tomorrow. I was out. And the decals from Sticker Shock. Then I can finish her off. I'm using a BEC so I can use a 500 mah lipoly I have.

This is a fun build and I am looking forward to the YF-12 next from Frank. Here's some pictures from the build today.

IMG-1561.JPG IMG-1563.JPG IMG-1564.JPG IMG-1566.JPG IMG-1567.JPG IMG-1568.JPG IMG-1569.JPG IMG-1571.JPGIMG-1558.JPG

Be careful with the weight of b e c and a 2-cell 500 lipo, its most likely going to be way too nose heavy especially if you're using a single-use motor like you just ordered because those weigh 10 grams less than the reload. The kit is designed to balance perfectly with a 7 gram receiver a 15 gram battery and 14 g of nose weight, with a loaded reloadable motor, or no nose weight and a singke use motor. You can of course put weight in the tail to balance correctly but I hate to do that it just means you're not boosting as high and not gliding as long.

Frank thank you. I have a bunch of those one cell batteries for small RC planes, however they don't have a connector they are built in to attack to the Spectrum bricks RX.

I found the exact battery on Amazon. My only concern is the voltage for the RX and servos I'm assuming you have had no problem.

Yes, if you use spektrum rx and hs-55 or hs-65hb you will have no problem, those are the only combos I've tried.

I'd also dump the switch, that's what the nose cone is for, simply remove and unplug, one less failure point, and less weight.

A bit more progress. I got to say I really Like Sticker Shocks decals. I still have more panel lines to do but I'm really liking this ship. Got the engines today Frank. Thanks. I'll need to order more or think about the re-load.IMG-1676.JPG

I balanced the Clipper. I only needed a small amount of the provided buck shot aft. I shifted the battery from the nose cone to the body tube near the RX to cut down on the tail weight. I was nose heavy. Not a lot but enough.

Radio is all setup and working just fine on the single cell 500 pack recommended. I believe she's ready to fly October 12th at Lucerne.

Next up will be building Frank's YF-12. I'm hoping to have her ready for the same weekend. I guess I better order more motors.

Great build and a beautiful ship Frank designed.
IMG-1686.JPG

Looks great, if you do decide to fly on reloads they weigh 10 grams more so you may need to pull the tail weight out or adjust as needed. In the one I just built for the pan am decals mine came out perfect without any nose weight with the battery right in the shoulder of the nose cone so I'm not surprised with the lighter single-use motor you were needing a little bit of tail weight.

Actually I'm not sure that the burned-out single-use motor is that much different in weight than the burned-out reload casing so if you balance for the reload you will be nose heavy on boost with a single use but glide cg may not be that much different...

Back