DynaStar Rip Roar Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdjsky01

Kim's Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
A recurring theme... before my life CATO'd in April of 2023, I had opened a DynaStar RipRoar kit I have had for quite some time. I looked at the fins and back then, whenever back then was, that Jeff thought, "Hey what if I make the fins out of Bass wood and though the wall? Okay... might be a bit heavier, but I can simulate such rockets and get the CG / CP right even with a bit of extra weight.

So first off, the bag

Rip-Roar-1.JPG

Then the parts is parts

Rip-Roar-2.JPG

And here are my basswood TTW fins vs the stock 3mm thick balsa fins

Rip-Roar-4.JPG

And finally, the tube spirals were very shallow. Good on you Apogee! So I only needed to fill some of the tube spirals with FnF

Rip-Roar-3.JPG

But then I thought.... "Ok. Either I have to cut the tab slots... or paper the balsa fins... " I've been doin' this too long not to know "Whatever these designers are landing on, it ain't as hard as the desert." I have the cracked and broken fins or joints to prove it. :D

So I locked up and decided to noodle on it some.

So went with the TTW fins for the lower stage. They add 10grams. OpenRocket says thats fine. I think I am gonna use the basswood fins on the sustainer two but cut the tabs off. Also ditched the D12 engine clip in the boost for an Estes 24mm retainer. Maybe I'll add a few BBs in the tip of the nose... we'll see where it all falls out later.

RipRoar-Tabs-01.JPG

"Ok. Either I have to cut the tab slots... or paper the balsa fins... "
Why not both? Why not paper the basswood, belt and suspenders?

So went with the TTW fins for the lower stage. They add 10grams. OpenRocket says thats fine. I think I am gonna use the basswood fins on the sustainer two but cut the tabs off.
Now I'm confused(er). Since you've got the fins cut with tabs, what's the harm in using them that way? Obviously, cutting the slots is not an obstacle for you.

Why not both? Why not paper the basswood, belt and suspenders?

Now I'm confused(er). Since you've got the fins cut with tabs, what's the harm in using them that way? Obviously, cutting the slots is not an obstacle for you.
Because I thought the tabs for the sustainer were cut too high and would partially miss the motor mount tube at the top end. That would be solved by A) cutting off the tabs, B) cutting slots in the upper centering ring, or C) cutting new fins, or D) using the balsa fins. And I was embarrassed to admit that. :oops: But I was mistaken. They will make contact along the entire tab. So I have marked off the slots. Maybe tonight. Today, for whatever reason has just been a depressing day so far (at noon). I 'generally' don't paper basswood because I sort of use papering to avoid filling the grain. I find primer is a-ok for basswood for that. But not so much for balsa.

Okay
So the boost motor mount is installed with the centering rings in next to the TTW fin slots. And an Estes 24mm retainer installed. The coupler is not glued in yet as I want to make vent holes with a 3 hole punch

Rip-Roar-2023-10-04_00004.JPG

This is a fun rocket to fly - a set of C11 motors makes a great small field combo.

Back