Dual Launch Lugs on a 4 ft Tall Rocket? Good or Bad?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakeroadster

When in doubt... build hell-for-stout!
Reaction score
One of the last things I have left to do is install the second launch lug on my Lifting Rocket. Is putting two lugs on a bad idea?

The design is unconventional, so lug placement is a bit unusual.

The launch rod is 5/16" dia.

Launch Lug Quandry.jpg

2 lugs works well on just about any rocket. I've taken standard short launch lugs from a kit and cut them in half.
In your picture I would think you should take the front lug and put it all the way back at the back.

Two launch lugs is IMO a good choice for a long rocket. Alignment is obviously critical. Something that makes it easier is a standard size on the rear lug, go short on the forward lug, extra fillets maybe for strength.

Reason for the longer rear lug, the upper lug leaves the rod early, it’s main purpose (IMO) is to hold the rocket steady on the rod while you are WAITING to launch it. Winds blowing the rocket with one lug near the tail put a lot of torque on that lone lug.

2 lugs works well on just about any rocket. I've taken standard short launch lugs from a kit and cut them in half.
In your picture I would think you should take the front lug and put it all the way back at the back.

Front lug is already in place. Rear lug is in the ready room. ;)

006 After Primer and Paint.jpg

To answer the title quesiton, two shorter launch lugs spaced further apart is usually better than one launch lug as long as you can align them properly. You'll get more stability while you're on the rod. Like BABAR, I usually cut a standard kit launch lug in two and place one at the bottom and one around the middle of the rocket.

For silly oddrocs: Top lug at CG (can be higher) and lower lug as far down as possible to keep it on the stabilizing long stainless launch rod as long as possible. Perfect alignment. No paint or glue in lug to impead. Clean and Lubed launch rod, no friction. Super bond between lug and tube. Clean, roughed up/scored surfaces with Titebond glue. Awesome, built up Titebond fillets requiring patience of the Jedi! Same technique on standoffs if required.

Back