Dremel Tools

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjkcolorado

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have a glob of epoxy from an 'Estes type' shock cord attachment in a Big Daddy nose come that I want to remove. Was thinking a Dremel tool with a grinding stone would be a nice thing to have. Looking at Dremel tools and wondering if a two speed vs true variable speed is necessary in terms of spending the extra money. Any other feedback on Dremel tools and features is welcome.

I prefer the two speed--at least for me it's easier to use in tight quarters and don't have to think about the speed---TIP--HINT--Whatever you want to call it---for about 30 bucks you can pick up a manacure set from wallywold---it's cordless and low power but is perfect for detail work--comes with all sort of attachments---once you have one you'll use it more than you would expect---sometimes less is more

Grinding stones will make you either patient or nuts. There are bits designed specifically for working epoxy. They kind of look like a porcupine.

Use either a sanding drum with a course grit (80) that will make short work of it, or as Peter mentioned ,a crabide cutter/burr will go very fast ,but you need to be carefull ,as those burrs will bugger things up very quickly !

Paul t

I have a corded variable speed Dremel. It's a very versatile tool. I use it to detail sand & grind, cut fin slots, centering rings and bulkheads.
I would recommend the Dremel tool.

To me variable speed is worth the money. It allows you to tune the rpm for the bit and material you're working with. Single- or two-speed tools will most often leave you working at a speed that makes the work harder than it needs to be. I also recommend a flex shaft as it can get into places the tool itself can't.

I love my variable speed cordless (li ion) Dremel. I use that thing a LOT, and the battery lasts a surprisingly long time. For removing epoxy globs, I use a sanding drum, either coarse or fine depending on how much epoxy I need to remove. And for fast tooless bit change, I got a chuck for it. It'll take either size shafts, and it's very fast and convenient.

https://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25...yword=dremel+chuck&storeId=10051#.UQFLpL_LT-Y

I love my Dremel - I picked up a nice used one off Craigslist - a corded 300-series with a flex shaft and a pile of attachments - for a good deal. If you keep your eyes open you can probably find a lightly-used one for a decent price. Same goes for other woodworking tools as well, as most of you probably know.

The other thing about Dremel tools is that they have a FANTASTIC support. I had to have it serviced and they had it back to me for a VERY reasonable cost and it was very quick too. It was nice to see a company stand behind their product so well.

I do a lot with Dremels, but if your intended use is at a bench and portability is not an issue, I'd recommend considering a Foredom flex shaft setup instead.

Speed control is on a foot pedal, and there is a lot more torque available. These are heavier duty professional tools rather than hobby tools. I'd recommend a kit with the reversable SR motor as a good choice as it is the most versatile. The #30 handpiece uses a chuck so it can hold shanks of most any reasonable size. The unit has the power to use tools that are larger than what a Dremel can manage. These units maintain decent torque down to speeds too slow for a Dremel. Dremels typically need to be run fast to do any real work, but sometimes fast is not what you want.

Plus, having a foot control like with a Foredom unit is so nice for delicate work!

https://www.ottofrei.com/Foredom-SR-30-Flex-Shaft-Kit.html

Also get or make a hanger for the motor. FWIW, I recommend the US made Foredom over other brands. I have two Foredom units and use them a lot. They are workhorses.

Gerald

PS - I have a cordless Dremel also (a few years old) and use that when I do some work outside. Nice tool.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. The Foredom looks great, but pretty pricey for my needs. I'm going to start checking Craigslist for a variable speed Dremel, and also buttering up the wife if I need to spend a little more on a new one. Can't hurt to cover all the bases.

Tarasdad hit the nail on the head. Variable is best - I've used both. Flex shaft is fantastic and comes with some of the models.
Does not need to be Dremel brand.
Removing epoxy from a nosecone tip sounds like a job for alternating heat and cold and maybe drilling a hole or two in the material to allow it room to expand and contract. You might also thread a big lag bolt and a washer into the blob to give yourself leverage to tug it back and forth.

I would absolutely spend a bit more for variable speed, you can use low speed for times when you need to be very precise and high speed for carving/cutting bulkheads and such and then tune it down a bit to fine tune the shape. my favorite attachment is sanding drums, they are a rocketeers dream. I use a dremel 3000 rotary tool i think it goes to 15,000 rpm and has 5 speed settings. i normally use between the second and fourth setting. it's $75 at most places and comes with some attachments most aren't too useful for rockets but the sanding bits and cutoff wheels are good.

I have a good variable speed Dremel and Rotor Zip. Those tools are the most used in my tool box.

Thanks for the feedback. The Foredom looks great, but pretty pricey for my needs. I'm going to start checking Craigslist for a variable speed Dremel, and also buttering up the wife if I need to spend a little more on a new one. Can't hurt to cover all the bases.

I have access to a Foredom if I need it. My wife bought one to use for her handmade jewelry business. It is a very, very high quality tool! The only drawback I see to it is that you are tied to your workbench because the tool isn't portable. You can only work on things as far as the flexible shaft will reach. I guess a corded Dremel has the same issue, though, so maybe that's a wash. I knew there was a reason I keep wanting to get that Dremel cordless tool!

At this point in life I own 3 variable speed dremel tools. I had one for as long as I can remember and when my dad pasted away I inherited 2 more. I use my dremel tools in every facet of hobby building. I have every attachment made (flex shaft, router, drill press, depth gauge, chain saw sharpener, the list could go on ........). I also probably have just about every bit ever made for the dremel (I had a lot to begin with and my dad had even more).

What you will find most useful is cutoff wheels, micro drill bits and sanding drums. Don't skimp on what model you buy as you will use this for the rest of your life in more then just rocket building.

Latest posts

Back