Dragon Rocketry 4" upscale Estes Photon Probe Build.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's just an 2 part epoxy putty (hardens and is workable (drill/sand). It holds the tnut in place so it doesn't turn. Nice part is that it fills in under the tnut so you don't have to bend it to conform to the body tube. Makes it easier to install inside the bodytube without using epoxy on a stick and hope you get it in the right place. You could use jbweld putty or Apogee Fix-it epoxy putty, all the same type of stuff...

It's ok. It is a bit wonky and fiddly.

To get it to work with fins, you need to have a spare piece to put in the other end, or have a clamp on both fore and aft sides of the fin. Since the angle aluminum faces the tube, it has to be a small clamp to fit under the aluminum and on top of the tube.

The rubber band technique takes some practice...it can impart a rotational force on the tube when you stretch it in place. For just fins, I like the two board with 45 method you can see here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/l2-design-and-build-4x-upscale-eac-viper.183182/post-2519751
It takes a bit of practice, no doubt. I have tried to come up with ways to space out the front of the angles, but there is just no good way (scrap/popsicle sticks). But once it is all setup and clamped on, it self-aligns and makes a square fin.

Decided to try shearing pins without .005 brass. Going to try just CA given some experiences here....

I figure even if they elongate/deform the tubes, I can always install later. #greatdebateandexperiment.

An upscale video I found....

An upscale (?x) on a CTI K160 long burn...

I still can't find anyone that has successfully launched a 4" (3x) upscale photon probe...will MarsLander be the first?

Ha, no tracker. Does anyone know if this rocket was ever found and if the cert attempt succeeded?

Payload and NC painted. Stickers next then clear coat…

img_0521-jpeg.642033

Last edited:
Back