Dr. Zooch Saturn 1b build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that is a whole heck of lot of fun in that little box for $25.

ABSOLUTELY!!! Spot on!

That's one reason why I basically don't buy kits anymore... or very few, and those usually on clearance. Something has to REALLY get my attention for me to drop money for a kit. Everything else I scratchbuild pretty much...

Wes's kits are REALLY detailed and have a LOT of parts for $25 bucks... nobody else would even THINK of touching a "semi-scale" kit of this size for that price point... I mean, heck, go look at one of the "Big companies" regular kits... you can't hardly find one for $25... and those are USUALLY just a plain-jane 3FNC type kit with a low parts count... and TOTALLY BORING!!! (3FNC kits do NOTHING for me anymore...) Heck I used to get those "Eliminator" kits for $8 bucks back in the old days, used them for Astrocam haulers... Last time I saw one, the darn thing was over $30 bucks!! And that for a kit that's about as simple as simple can be... (two tubes, coupler, motor mount, plastic fin unit and nosecone, cord, chute, and some bits-n-pieces... IOW about as low a parts count as you can get, and not a BIG rocket either!)

I like Wes's motto-- "If rocketry ain't fun, you're not doing it right!" Wes does it right... :)

Later! OL JR :)

Luke...there is no question Wes does it right!! I honestly haven't priced the 3FNC's....I am pretty much a scale guy myself. Would be cool to try an old Ested Nike Ajax...that was always one of my favorite rockets when I was a kid....My next build will be a Zooch Vostok...but...I want to finish this 1b first....I won't be able to do much tonight...I just got home (its after 9 pm up here) so hopefully tomorrow I can get back to work on her.

ABSOLUTELY!!! Spot on!

That's one reason why I basically don't buy kits anymore... or very few, and those usually on clearance. Something has to REALLY get my attention for me to drop money for a kit. Everything else I scratchbuild pretty much...

Wes's kits are REALLY detailed and have a LOT of parts for $25 bucks... nobody else would even THINK of touching a "semi-scale" kit of this size for that price point... I mean, heck, go look at one of the "Big companies" regular kits... you can't hardly find one for $25... and those are USUALLY just a plain-jane 3FNC type kit with a low parts count... and TOTALLY BORING!!! (3FNC kits do NOTHING for me anymore...) Heck I used to get those "Eliminator" kits for $8 bucks back in the old days, used them for Astrocam haulers... Last time I saw one, the darn thing was over $30 bucks!! And that for a kit that's about as simple as simple can be... (two tubes, coupler, motor mount, plastic fin unit and nosecone, cord, chute, and some bits-n-pieces... IOW about as low a parts count as you can get, and not a BIG rocket either!)

I like Wes's motto-- "If rocketry ain't fun, you're not doing it right!" Wes does it right... :)

I never knew that the original Death Star model was like 20 feet long....or that was where the term came from!

and yes...I meant to say S-Ib...there is definitely no mistaking the S-Ib with the S-IC that is for sure! just look at those stats...33 feet in diameter and 140 feet long...Good Lord that thing was a beast!

"Greebles" is a term used by model builders in the movie industry, for putting random bits of stuff onto the surface of large film shooting models to add detail and "visual interest" to the model so it looks more realistic on screen... I've read the term was coined by the ILM guys that were building the models of the Star Wars ships and the Death Star surface in the original film... that model was like 20 feet long IIRC... I heard that the ILM guys bought up every battleship and tank and warplane model they could get their hands on around the local areas to have lots of "fiddly bits" to glue onto their models to "greeble" them for filming...

Technically speaking, greebles don't have to serve any realistic purpose... often they're just radom bits of stuff from kits, various shapes from panels to gun turrets to sections of tank track or bits of treads or gun barrels or what-have-you, glued to the surface in varying patterns to create a somewhat flowing and "functional looking" surface... makes stuff look more "real"...

In the purest sense, the details on our models aren't "greebles" since they represent parts that served a real, functional purpose-- but then, OTOH, they don't actually "work" on our models, so it could be argued therefore that they are "just greebles" on the model rocket since they don't actually help it fly...

Just sayin'... :)

Think you meant "S-IB" first stage... S-IC was 33 feet in diameter and about 140 feet long or thereabouts IIRC, and had five F-1 engines... :)

Just sayin'... :)

I never knew that the original Death Star model was like 20 feet long....or that was where the term came from!

and yes...I meant to say S-Ib...there is definitely no mistaking the S-Ib with the S-IC that is for sure! just look at those stats...33 feet in diameter and 140 feet long...Good Lord that thing was a beast!

Looking forward to seeing your IB come together...

You gonna do a build thread on the Soyuz?? I have that one and the Luna, but I haven't started on them... Want to get more experience with paper first... sounds like the IB tanks might be just the thing to learn on, since I have all the Zooch Saturns...

OK....we are in the final stretch here with our build....first I made some decals for the SIb stage...these are the ID numbers placed on the booster fuel tanks....Apollo 7 flew on SA-205....
000_0297a.jpg

you may notice I have some extra ID's prepared for future builds....you can never have enough Saturn 1b's ya know!:wink:

these decals are very small and set quickly....I made sure to have a nice solid coat of Krylon krystal clear on my paper tanks...you want to move quick with these and dry your tanks quickly!
000_0298a.jpg

next I moved on to add my shock cord....this kit came with a piece of cloth elastic shock cord that measured about 28"....I decided I wanted a little longer cord here so, using matching cord I purchased at Joanne's fabric...I cut a length about 40"...I wanted to protect my LES! I figured another 12" or so would be helpful.
000_0307a.jpg

next, you will want to glue your screw eye into your LM transition.....by doing so...we are transforming this static display model into a flight version!
000_0312a.jpg

Dr. Zooch provides a 15" chute that you would assemble at this step. I have flown every version of the Zooch 1b that Wes makes...and they fly perfectly well with the chute provided. I prefer however, a slightly slower descent rate and I opt to use a pre-made Estes 18" chute....
000_0308a.jpg

it was about this time that we had a casualty up here during construction...I live in a small home and I had to move my Semroc Mars Lander out of its safe storage area in my little closet in the man cave so I could get the decals that I placed in there..my wife, in the middle of an animated conversation of which I was registering about one out of every 5 words being thrown out, accidentally stomped on my Mars lander....even after stomping on her, it took my wife a good minute or two to get the stored up words out of her system at which point she started apologizing..LOL....what can you do..it was an accident....I told her I'll just have to buy a replacement!
000_0303a.jpg

she is a total write off....:eyeroll:

she was a good rocket....fun but difficult build but lots of fun to fly! someday I will try her again. Had a lot of fun flying it with my 16 year old son who told me that it would NOT land on its landing gear and refused to believe me that was what she was designed to do...sure enough, on her last flights...she consistently landed on the side of a hill and tip over..no matter how I moved the pad it would always find a hill to land on.....I had a huge Estes 24" chute in her..was like watching a table cloth come out and unfurl....would lower that puppy down and on her last flight she stuck the landing like a Olympic athlete.....

next, the shock cord is tied to the eye hook...I usually place a dab of white glue on the knot.....then the chute lines are attached to the swivel that Dr. Zooch provides, and the swivel is attached to the eye hook....again, a dab of white glue is placed on the chute cord knot...I'll let these dry up....
000_0315a.jpg

we are almost done!

next, the shock cord is tied to the eye hook...I usually place a dab of white glue on the knot.....then the chute lines are attached to the swivel that Dr. Zooch provides, and the swivel is attached to the eye hook....again, a dab of white glue is placed on the chute cord knot...I'll let these dry up....
View attachment 116895

we are almost done!

OH MAN... Sorry about your Mars Lander... Hmmm... I think you can rebuild her... you have the technology... you can make her better... stronger... faster... (cue up Six Million Dollar Man music) LOL:) Seriously I think you can do SOME sort of repair...

Anyway-- ummm... I would recommend replacing the swivel the Doc includes with the kit... IMHO it's too small and too light... Plus it's the cheapy non-locking type. I've had those straighten out before and drop the rocket straight back down to the ground while the parachute just sorta flip flopped it's way back to the ground some distance away... I dunno, call me overly cautious, but I always swap those out for the black locking swivel types that I pick up at Wally world in the fishing dept... going with a larger parachute that catches more air, it can deploy harder and yank harder on the swivel-- a locking swivel is just extra insurance to make sure the thing doesn't spring open and drop the rocket. It's up to you though... but personally I like the better insurance. I've had more than one of the regular brass swivels fail on me though...

You did the right thing adding more shock cord to the rocket... after my Atlas came back with a huge chunk of balsa popped out the side, I TRIPLED the length of the shock cord in it... better safe than sorry... shock cord doesn't take up THAT much room, especially in a BT-60 rocket...

Later and looking great! OL JR :)

Hey Luke,
I actually hadn't thought of doing a build thread on my Vostok. I know that Mushtang did an excellent build thread on his Vostok....before I start her, I want to do some research on detailing the R7 and the Vostok. :grin: I am going to go with a green/white scheme (as if the LOX tanks were full)
as for your 1b's...I have NO DOUBT you can make this rocket.....just takes a little practice steaming the tanks...once you roll your tanks Luke, you are in like flint and sparking!:bangbang:

Looking forward to seeing your IB come together...

You gonna do a build thread on the Soyuz?? I have that one and the Luna, but I haven't started on them... Want to get more experience with paper first... sounds like the IB tanks might be just the thing to learn on, since I have all the Zooch Saturns...

Luke...I will defintely check out the lock swivel...always open to try new things....I can say I have over 50 flights on my 1bs and I have never had a swivel failure so I think they are adequate for the job...of course, now that I just typed that, watch the swivel fail in flight on this one...I rememebr your your Atlas build thread...you posted pictures of the damage to your transition. I kinda thought it would be wise to do try that up here. I will post some final shots of my 1b tonight. I am happy with her. I did make some mistakes on her, but all in all, I think it turned out pretty nice.

OH MAN... Sorry about your Mars Lander... Hmmm... I think you can rebuild her... you have the technology... you can make her better... stronger... faster... (cue up Six Million Dollar Man music) LOL:) Seriously I think you can do SOME sort of repair...

Anyway-- ummm... I would recommend replacing the swivel the Doc includes with the kit... IMHO it's too small and too light... Plus it's the cheapy non-locking type. I've had those straighten out before and drop the rocket straight back down to the ground while the parachute just sorta flip flopped it's way back to the ground some distance away... I dunno, call me overly cautious, but I always swap those out for the black locking swivel types that I pick up at Wally world in the fishing dept... going with a larger parachute that catches more air, it can deploy harder and yank harder on the swivel-- a locking swivel is just extra insurance to make sure the thing doesn't spring open and drop the rocket. It's up to you though... but personally I like the better insurance. I've had more than one of the regular brass swivels fail on me though...

You did the right thing adding more shock cord to the rocket... after my Atlas came back with a huge chunk of balsa popped out the side, I TRIPLED the length of the shock cord in it... better safe than sorry... shock cord doesn't take up THAT much room, especially in a BT-60 rocket...

the Mars lander is shot...she was walking towards the wall that I had it sitting next to, she was looking at me while she was talking and I was working on my 1b and she kicked it into the wall and then stepped on it.....I am not sure if you have made a Mars Lander or not, but inside the body of that thing is a rubber band mount of the landing legs to make them spring loaded...she destroyed that...I was shaking peices of it ouf of the body tube and I can hear parts rolling around in there.... oh well...what can you do??...but build another rocket!!

OK...my Dr. Zooch Apollo 7 Saturn 1b is done! I wanted to post some final pictures to complete the thread. Thanks to all that viewed and commented, it was much appreciated! This is just a great kit! I never get tired of building one and I thank Dr. Zooch for making this kit. It is my favorite rocket kit of all time. I hope you guys enjoyed the thread and maybe you will give this kit a try. I don't think you will be disappointed!
000_0317a.jpg000_0318a.jpg000_0319a.jpg

when completed, the Zooch 1b stands about 17.5" tall and is based upon a BT60 tube. The kit as it comes in the box makes a neat rocket and with a total cost of $25....its a lot of kit for the money in my opinion! Just a lot of fun. I chose to add some additional details, mainly because I simply love this launch vehicle. It really is my favorite rocket of all time. I don't think any of the added details are really difficult, they just require a little patience. I think the same applies to building this kit, from a modelers perspective. If you can be patient, take your time steaming the tubes, and don't get frustrated too quickly...its going to take few rolls before you get it down.... you'll soon get the hang of it. From that point on, I think you will find that this kit is really a straight forward build. Out of the box, it makes a really nice kit of the 1b, at a cost that you just can't beat. I have built and flown all of Wes's 1bs and I have found them to be outstanding fliers! Solid as a rock in flight. This kit was my BAR rocket...and she has 35 flights on her...and counting!!

I hope you enjoyed the build thread. it was my first shot at a one and I hope I did it correctly!

thanks!
Rick

Last edited:
That shore is purdy! Nice work. :)

(yet another zooch kit I should put on my wishlist)

the Mars lander is shot...she was walking towards the wall that I had it sitting next to, she was looking at me while she was talking and I was working on my 1b and she kicked it into the wall and then stepped on it.....I am not sure if you have made a Mars Lander or not, but inside the body of that thing is a rubber band mount of the landing legs to make them spring loaded...she destroyed that...I was shaking peices of it ouf of the body tube and I can hear parts rolling around in there.... oh well...what can you do??...but build another rocket!!

Nope, never built a Mars Lander... thought about getting that newer one Estes put out (Farlander or something) but wouldn't pay the exhorbitant price the local hobby shop had on it... plus I read it flew like poo, and the leg construction hinge/spring things really sucked.

I've read about the ML on YORF-- they're very popular amongst the older flyers... (who grew up with them). Never had one and they weren't available when I was flying in the late 80's or early 90's (that I can recall) no never had a lot of desire or nostalgia to build one...

PS... were you shaking parts out of the wife or the ML?? That and something you said in your original post made me wonder... LOL:)

GREAT JOB!!! She looks fantastic!

Looking forward to some flight pics when you can.... (probably not good flying weather your way at the moment I presume).

Luke, the ML is a neat kit....really flies on the verge of stability...I went out and bought a 4' launch rail and that solved a lot of the problems....fun to watch it come down and land on the landing gear...it was one of the kits I grew up.

Nope, never built a Mars Lander... thought about getting that newer one Estes put out (Farlander or something) but wouldn't pay the exhorbitant price the local hobby shop had on it... plus I read it flew like poo, and the leg construction hinge/spring things really sucked.

I've read about the ML on YORF-- they're very popular amongst the older flyers... (who grew up with them). Never had one and they weren't available when I was flying in the late 80's or early 90's (that I can recall) no never had a lot of desire or nostalgia to build one...

PS... were you shaking parts out of the wife or the ML?? That and something you said in your original post made me wonder... LOL:)

thanks Luke! I appreciate the kind words! I am happy with the way it turned out. I can't wait to fly her...but you are correct...its going to be a few months before the weather turns up here...but Pad 34 will be ready when the time comes!!

GREAT JOB!!! She looks fantastic!

Looking forward to some flight pics when you can.... (probably not good flying weather your way at the moment I presume).

thanks Luke! I appreciate the kind words! I am happy with the way it turned out. I can't wait to fly her...but you are correct...its going to be a few months before the weather turns up here...but Pad 34 will be ready when the time comes!!

Speaking of Pad 34... have you ever built one of those Pad 34Z (Z for Zooch) pads?? I thought you were asking about them at one point... (maybe I'm thinking of someone else, I dunno).

Those Zoochies just look FANTASTIC going off one of those suckers and they're rediculously easy to make-- just a REAL BASIC woodworking project, and VERY LITTLE material needed... Just a piece of a deck board (5/4 x 6 rounded over treated deck boards), a bit of 2x12 (to make a nice thick, steady base), and a couple feet of 2x2's (balusters for staircases or deck railings, treated). The rest is 12 deck screws to hold all the lumber together with four of them holding a soup can cut down one side and folded back on itself for a "Scale" blast deflector (painted bright yellow of course...) Hardest part is cutting the biggest hole you can in the deck-- but a jigsaw or regular door hole saw in a drill works great for that. The real trick the Doc uses is a little linkage kit for a bathroom lavatory that has the "pop up" stopper worked by a knob between the faucet handles-- you can get the "repair kits" for these at the big box indoor lumberyard type stores and it comes with a rod and knob and a little flat steel bracket with one end bent around on itself into a "C" shape with a thumbscrew through one side-- this is what holds the launch rod, making it movable in and out to center the rocket over the "blast hole" in the deck. You have to bend the thing 90 degrees with a pair of pliers but that's no biggie, then install a carriage bolt tighted down against the deck, with a couple washers, though one of the holes in the bracket (I cut the excess off mine) and then install a wingnut on top of that to tighten down once everything's set... works like a champ!

To tilt the rod, you use the highly technical "lumber scraps" or "door leveling wood wedges" method... LOL:) I set mine up on a little plastic table for launching-- I don't like pads on the ground if I can help it... (don't like crawling around down there trying to hook things up, especially with fire ants (which you don't have to worry about in Jersey... )

You might think about doing one of those as a winter project... :) Doc was gonna come out with a paper model of the Pad 39A/B that looked VERY realistic, but wasn't suitable to launch off of (paper launch pads don't hold up too well when flaming rocket engines ignite!) but he permanently shelved that project last time I talked to him about it... we discussed the fact that one COULD convert a paper model of the 39A/B pads (which are available on the internet from papermodeling sources, like jleslies Lower Hudson Valley Gift Shop IIRC (check the paper modeling forum or just google "paper models of NASA launchpads" or something). Putting a cardstock skin over a wooden core could make a very cool looking launch pad... which could be "refurbished" from time to time with a new "skin"....

The IB looks great... now you just need a cool looking pad to go with it...

PS. The Zooch pad is what I use for all the glamour shots of the rockets in my Zooch beta-build threads... :)

Luke...yes that was me asking about that Zooch pad....and that is a great idea!! I think I am going to give that a try! I had forgotten about that pad.

Speaking of Pad 34... have you ever built one of those Pad 34Z (Z for Zooch) pads?? I thought you were asking about them at one point... (maybe I'm thinking of someone else, I dunno).

Those Zoochies just look FANTASTIC going off one of those suckers and they're rediculously easy to make-- just a REAL BASIC woodworking project, and VERY LITTLE material needed... Just a piece of a deck board (5/4 x 6 rounded over treated deck boards), a bit of 2x12 (to make a nice thick, steady base), and a couple feet of 2x2's (balusters for staircases or deck railings, treated). The rest is 12 deck screws to hold all the lumber together with four of them holding a soup can cut down one side and folded back on itself for a "Scale" blast deflector (painted bright yellow of course...) Hardest part is cutting the biggest hole you can in the deck-- but a jigsaw or regular door hole saw in a drill works great for that. The real trick the Doc uses is a little linkage kit for a bathroom lavatory that has the "pop up" stopper worked by a knob between the faucet handles-- you can get the "repair kits" for these at the big box indoor lumberyard type stores and it comes with a rod and knob and a little flat steel bracket with one end bent around on itself into a "C" shape with a thumbscrew through one side-- this is what holds the launch rod, making it movable in and out to center the rocket over the "blast hole" in the deck. You have to bend the thing 90 degrees with a pair of pliers but that's no biggie, then install a carriage bolt tighted down against the deck, with a couple washers, though one of the holes in the bracket (I cut the excess off mine) and then install a wingnut on top of that to tighten down once everything's set... works like a champ!

To tilt the rod, you use the highly technical "lumber scraps" or "door leveling wood wedges" method... LOL:) I set mine up on a little plastic table for launching-- I don't like pads on the ground if I can help it... (don't like crawling around down there trying to hook things up, especially with fire ants (which you don't have to worry about in Jersey... )

You might think about doing one of those as a winter project... :) Doc was gonna come out with a paper model of the Pad 39A/B that looked VERY realistic, but wasn't suitable to launch off of (paper launch pads don't hold up too well when flaming rocket engines ignite!) but he permanently shelved that project last time I talked to him about it... we discussed the fact that one COULD convert a paper model of the 39A/B pads (which are available on the internet from papermodeling sources, like jleslies Lower Hudson Valley Gift Shop IIRC (check the paper modeling forum or just google "paper models of NASA launchpads" or something). Putting a cardstock skin over a wooden core could make a very cool looking launch pad... which could be "refurbished" from time to time with a new "skin"....

The IB looks great... now you just need a cool looking pad to go with it...

PS. The Zooch pad is what I use for all the glamour shots of the rockets in my Zooch beta-build threads... :)

OK....we are in the final stretch here with our build....first I made some decals for the SIb stage...these are the ID numbers placed on the booster fuel tanks....Apollo 7 flew on SA-205....
View attachment 116880

you may notice I have some extra ID's prepared for future builds....you can never have enough Saturn 1b's ya know!:wink:

these decals are very small and set quickly....I made sure to have a nice solid coat of Krylon krystal clear on my paper tanks...you want to move quick with these and dry your tanks quickly!
View attachment 116881

next I moved on to add my shock cord....this kit came with a piece of cloth elastic shock cord that measured about 28"....I decided I wanted a little longer cord here so, using matching cord I purchased at Joanne's fabric...I cut a length about 40"...I wanted to protect my LES! I figured another 12" or so would be helpful.
View attachment 116882

next, you will want to glue your screw eye into your LM transition.....by doing so...we are transforming this static display model into a flight version!
View attachment 116884

Dr. Zooch provides a 15" chute that you would assemble at this step. I have flown every version of the Zooch 1b that Wes makes...and they fly perfectly well with the chute provided. I prefer however, a slightly slower descent rate and I opt to use a pre-made Estes 18" chute....
View attachment 116885

Just one problem with the Estes chutes- often they are made in Gangong China and come with shroud line that is made of un-treated cotton, thus they are easy to burn. I'd suggest using the Dr. Zooch shroud line instead as it is more tangle and fire resistant. Also cut the name Estes out of the chute ;)

cut out the estes section??...that is funny!!! :rofl:
consider it done! never argue with your Doctor you know!!!:no:

Wes....can't tell you how much fun this kit is....I may have to buy another one.

Just one problem with the Estes chutes- often they are made in Gangong China and come with shroud line that is made of un-treated cotton, thus they are easy to burn. I'd suggest using the Dr. Zooch shroud line instead as it is more tangle and fire resistant. Also cut the name Estes out of the chute ;)

"Greebles" is a term used by model builders in the movie industry, for putting random bits of stuff onto the surface of large film shooting models to add detail and "visual interest" to the model so it looks more realistic on screen... I've read the term was coined by the ILM guys that were building the models of the Star Wars ships and the Death Star surface in the original film... that model was like 20 feet long IIRC... I heard that the ILM guys bought up every battleship and tank and warplane model they could get their hands on around the local areas to have lots of "fiddly bits" to glue onto their models to "greeble" them for filming...

Technically speaking, greebles don't have to serve any realistic purpose... often they're just radom bits of stuff from kits, various shapes from panels to gun turrets to sections of tank track or bits of treads or gun barrels or what-have-you, glued to the surface in varying patterns to create a somewhat flowing and "functional looking" surface... makes stuff look more "real"...

Some of the old timers might remember the name Bob Bruce.
After hanging out with him at NARAM 18 (1975) he wrote about working on the miniatures for a upcoming movie "War Star".
As I understand, that was an early working title for Star Wars.
He glued a lot of greebles on the large models. He mentioned they took a lot of parts from model car kits.
At last I heard, still in the movie business, under a different name.

Hey Rick,
Beautiful work!!!
(And I thought I spent too much time on my builds.)
I think we both need a hobby.

thanks Chris! It was a fun build and I enjoyed it!! but I do agree with you! I think I need a hobby!
some of the stuff was so small I could not see it until I after I took a picture of it with my camera to post for the build thread and then would notice it was messed up or not in position correctly.....and that is with my reading glases on!

Hey Rick,
Beautiful work!!!
(And I thought I spent too much time on my builds.)
I think we both need a hobby.

That Poly-Coated Popeilium is great stuff! Kudos! (Hope it's not made in sweatshops by little Na'vi kids exposed to Unobtanium dust on Pandora, though! LOL:))

A spill hole is ALWAYS a good idea....

Luke...yes that was me asking about that Zooch pad....and that is a great idea!! I think I am going to give that a try! I had forgotten about that pad.

There's a thread somewhere around here (or more likely in the archives) about how to build the Zooch pads... complete with pics and descriptions and stuff...

I gotta run errands but I'll try to find it later if yall don't find it first...

Rick, I'm just catching up on this thread and have to add my kudos. Your 1B looks GREAT!! I'm very impressed. Adding all the little details takes a great rocket and makes it even better. Well done. I can't wait to see some flight pictures and videos.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back