Dr. Zooch Saturn 1b build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Luke,
they look awesome! that is why you are doing beta builds! thank you for posting that here. My first thought was I am sorry to have brought you into the world of making RCS quads for a Zooch kit..LOL...they are small aren't they? :eyepop: I thought I had lost my mind for a bit...but once you set yourself to it, they really aren't that bad and I really like the look of the RCS quads on there. I would think yours are going to be more durable than mine since they are one piece of plastic.
Thanks for posting that technique here! :handshake: All we need now is to see that beautiful Saturn V of yours all decked out with RCS quads and stuff! That is going to be a masterpiece when you complete her!

Thanks... glad you liked it. It takes a little bit to make the "mold" but once you have it, you can literally stamp the things out like gangbusters with a few pieces of sprue from old model kits and a candle or lighter... They DO need a little work to clean them up, but hey, that's with anything I guess... with a small enough injection mold or resin mold would work even better... carving or sanding a master that small-- that's the hard part! Heck a single drop of resin would cast one!

Yeah, I DO need to get back to work on the Saturn V... I had originally planned to do an entire series based on the BT-80 Saturn V-- I especially like the S-ID, some of the upgraded Saturn V's, and some more of the alternate Saturn IB's based on F-1's... there's a fellow named Mike Robel who's done a single F-1 Saturn IB replacement (unitary or monolithic tanks rather than cluster tanks) with an S-IVB, and it looks really cool. Saturn II would be cool too (S-II stage w/ 4 Titan IV SRM's) and I'd like to even do a NOVA at that scale... got some spare BT-101 that needs a home... :) Anyway, it's just a matter of getting motivated to get back after it... kinda got me intrigued with the quads... :) Anyway, I DID print out the cluster motor mount for bot of them on payloadbay.com the other day. I've also been seriously thinking about building a vacuum box and making a master to pull vac-molded copies of the F-1 fairings... that would make things easier...

Anyway, got other irons in the fire right now. Need to get back after it soon though... :)

Til then, I'll leave it to you... you're doing a great job and you're da master of the Saturn IB for sure! BTW, more stuff on IB coming in the scale section...

Later! OL JR :)

umm...Luke, hcmbanjo and Sodmeister (and some others). You guys are in a league of your own; just superb builders. Guys like me just trying to watch and learn.
I hope to wrap the 1b up tonight or tomorrow. I have to hang the chute and put a couple of decals on the booster (the SA-208 decals go on the fuel tanks) I will post pictures when she is done.
Luke., as always, thanks for your post. Its always neat to see other techniques in action!

Thanks... it's gratifying to be complimented by craftsmen of the caliber of you and NJRick...

Later! OL JR :)

OL Jr opined:

"Saturn II would be cool too (S-II stage w/ 4 Titan IV SRM's) and..."

Saturn Model Liftoff.jpg

Like this? Pod Bay Doors Concept Scale entry. Flew it at NARAM 51 single stage and then had a failure trying with powered strapons, but the composite didn't light. Picture from a contest in AZ.

Chas

that looks awesome!!! beautiful job!

OL Jr opined:

View attachment 164164

Like this? Pod Bay Doors Concept Scale entry. Flew it at NARAM 51 single stage and then had a failure trying with powered strapons, but the composite didn't light. Picture from a contest in AZ.

Chas

N51 Saturn.jpg

Thank you NJ. The attached picture is from NARAM-51 in Johnstown, PA in 2009. It illustrates the advantages of flying competition as a team. Basic Saturn 1B is from a couple of Apogee kits. Pat McCarthy on the left built the strap-on boosters in Rockledge, FL outside the Cape where he works for Space Florida. Matt Steele on the right talking to Trip Barber built the first stage. He is in SLC, UT where he works for ATK. I built the upper SLA section with capsule here in Fort Worth. Our fourth teammate Bob Ferrante added his expertise from northern Ohio. Flew it single stage for a qualified flight and then tried it with powered strap-ons, but the composite did not fire and it just made it off the rod. It was rebuilt for the AZ meet. The strap-ons were designed to separate and recovery separately. Maybe someday.

Chas

OL Jr opined:

View attachment 164164

Chas

VERY cool... nice looking rocket. Not my favorite of the Saturn intermediate vehicles, but an interesting one to be sure.

Thanks for sharing! OL JR :)

Hey Chas...she is gorgeous. I love seeing how you guys are able to make these things stage and all...I like how that core Saturn 1b looks too...it looks like you did the SLA panels in a roll band pattern..very cool!...very similar to the picture of the 1bs on these Nasa Flight evaluation books I just got the other week. Looks like you have a great team there!
well done!:cheers:

View attachment 164170

Thank you NJ. The attached picture is from NARAM-51 in Johnstown, PA in 2009. It illustrates the advantages of flying competition as a team. Basic Saturn 1B is from a couple of Apogee kits. Pat McCarthy on the left built the strap-on boosters in Rockledge, FL outside the Cape where he works for Space Florida. Matt Steele on the right talking to Trip Barber built the first stage. He is in SLC, UT where he works for ATK. I built the upper SLA section with capsule here in Fort Worth. Our fourth teammate Bob Ferrante added his expertise from northern Ohio. Flew it single stage for a qualified flight and then tried it with powered strap-ons, but the composite did not fire and it just made it off the rod. It was rebuilt for the AZ meet. The strap-ons were designed to separate and recovery separately. Maybe someday.

Chas

OK....she is pretty much done here. All I have to do is hang the chute and there really isn't much I can share with that. Here are some pictures of my attempt to make SA-208, also known as Skylab 4, the third and final mission to Skylab. I always loved the white tank Saturn 1bs...I hope you guys like her. Thanks to all that followed and commented during this build. Its much appreciated. I am sorry this thread is so long. I probably should have made this its own thread.

I can't say enough about the Dr. Zooch Saturn 1b ...its a GREAT kit. Lots of fun to build and even more fun to fly!

000_1164a.jpg000_1167a.jpg

000_1169a.jpg000_1170a.jpg

I must say that is the most beautiful ant scale model rocket I have ever seen. Better save this one for a day with no wind!

thanks Owen...I have always liked the white tank versions of the 1b. This is just an awesome kit...lots of fun to build and to detail!

I must say that is the most beautiful ant scale model rocket I have ever seen. Better save this one for a day with no wind!

NJRick sezs: "Hey Chas...she is gorgeous."

Yes, but your build is very impressive. I started one Dr. Zooch kit and it was never finished. I have the wraps now to help. Several other kits still unopened. I look at builds like these and just wish I could do half a worthy job.

Thanks for sharing!

Chas

thanks Aerostadt! The Zooch 1b is a fun build! now, she is not 7 feet tall like your beautiful Mercury Atlas, but still a neat kit. Your Merc/Atlas is spectacular! I have really enjoyed your build thread on her!

Beautiful model, NJ! Excellent detail!

Thanks for the kind words Chas! Very much appreciated coming from a builder with your skill sets.

The Saturn 1b is my favorite rocket. I guess I came of age when they were flying. I can remember watching Skylab launch in class. I was 10 in 1973. I can remember watching these neat 1bs launch the crews up to the station. I have loved the rocket ever since.

Thanks for posting the pictures of your Saturn II....really a cool looking rocket!

Yes, but your build is very impressive. I started one Dr. Zooch kit and it was never finished. I have the wraps now to help. Several other kits still unopened. I look at builds like these and just wish I could do half a worthy job.

Thanks for sharing!

Chas

Thanks for the kind words Chas! Very much appreciated coming from a builder with your skill sets.

The Saturn 1b is my favorite rocket. I guess I came of age when they were flying. I can remember watching Skylab launch in class. I was 10 in 1973. I can remember watching these neat 1bs launch the crews up to the station. I have loved the rocket ever since.

Thanks for posting the pictures of your Saturn II....really a cool looking rocket!

Thanks for sharing!

Chas

thanks! I really appreciate your kind words! This is such a fun kit to build and to fly. with the wraps, the painting is really not too bad. mostly trying to line up the pattern on the fins. The Zooch 1b is my favorite kit of all time! The Soyuz is cool too, and a great flier!

Wow! Nice job on the paint, they look amazing! I never would have that patience... :)

Latest posts

Back