Dogs and Rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VonMises

Reaction score
Ok, Top Ramen started a thread for Cats and Rockets. So we need one to honor Man’s Best Friend.

Meet Koji the rocket dog. This guy loves to fly rockets. He gets excited when he hears the continuity tone, and when the rocket takes off he follows it. It won’t be lost either, because he'll find it too. Problem is, he gets distracted and doesn’t stay by the rocket. What can I say, dogs have A.D.D but they’re loyal.

When we watch DVDs of launches, he hears the tone, get’s excited, but when the rocket launches, he runs to the TV, then look up at the ceiling for the rocket, then back to the TV, ceiling etc, until the next launch.

Meet Koji the rocket dog:

2009-2010_Jillpics722.jpg

Koji, shaken, not stirred:

2009-2010_Jillpics726.jpg

Last edited:
This is my dog "Rocket". It took me two weeks to come up with his name. Not many trees out at Black Rock. He makes do with other things.

rocketpee.jpg

Tony

Here's my Charlie Dog. She actually does'nt care for Rockets much, since she'd prefer I spent less time at the Bench working on them, and even more time paying attention to her. She's always quick to come distract me when she needs to go out or for a Walk or wants a Treat or Pets or Brushins'.

Here's a perfect Snowflake that landed on her Head.

In the Winter, we go camping together. She's great for Winter Camping with that thick Coat of hers.

And ofcourse here she is next to a Rocket:

I can't find the story but there was a small collie featured in Sport Rocketry that the owner had trained to launch the rockets :) Built a small platform linked to the launch button and on command he would step on the platform and WOOSH :D I wish I could remember his name...

My dog could care less about rockets so far, but you get into the tractor without her and there will be hell to pay! She hasn't figured out how to get into the tractors and combines that have a vertical ladder though. Guess I'll have to teach her to climb, though my brother complains about the hair as it is.
She's a Red Heeler Australian Cattle dog.

Adrian

Ok, Top Ramen started a thread for Cats and Rockets. So we need one to honor Man’s Best Friend.

Meet Koji the rocket dog. This guy loves to fly rockets. He gets excited when he hears the continuity tone, and when the rocket takes off he follows it. It won’t be lost either, because hell find it too. Problem is, he gets distracted and doesn’t stay by the rocket. What can I say, dogs have A.D.D but they’re loyal...

Is Koji a border collie? My border collie Sydney hides if I count backwards...5 4 3 2 1 run! She does not like rockets.

SydneyAtTheBeach001.jpg

Last edited:
This is Dulci, my 5 month old Chocolate Labrador. I don't know if she likes rockets or not, but she sure seemed interested in helping me tonight.

My dog Abbi hasn't been to a rocket launch but I'm sure she wouldn't like it. She doesn't like loud noises. Whenever she hears hunter's guns off in the distance she goes and hides in the basement.

Abby6-22-11.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

Indeed

My dog could care less about rockets so far, but you get into the tractor without her and there will be hell to pay! She hasn't figured out how to get into the tractors and combines that have a vertical ladder though. Guess I'll have to teach her to climb, though my brother complains about the hair as it is.
She's a Red Heeler Australian Cattle dog.
Adrian
Those dogs look so mean, but every one I've met was just a great dog.

Is Koji a border collie? My border collie Sydney hides if I count backwards...5 4 3 2 1 run! She does not like rockets.
Not sure. He was dumped by our house when he was just a pup. He was beat up pretty bad too, so he was either abused, or they tossed him out without slowing down. He's certainly colored like one, but he has short hair. All of our pets are from rescues, or they were dumped out here.

People think that if they dump cats and dogs out here, then farmers will take them in. What they don't realize is that farmers will shoot dogs on sight, and cats are generally eaten by coyotes in two or three days.

Be happy he doesn't retrieve it!
Yes, but if Koji was to pick one up I doubt he'd harm it. One time he brought me a baby rabbit. It was drenched in slobber but not a "hare" was harmed.

This is Dulci, my 5 month old Chocolate Labrador. I don't know if she likes rockets or not, but she sure seemed interested in helping me tonight.
Doh! It looks like she's saying "What are we building today dad? I like hamburgers! Hamburgers, hamburgers, hamburgers!"

My dog Abbi hasn't been to a rocket launch but I'm sure she wouldn't like it. She doesn't like loud noises. Whenever she hears hunter's guns off in the distance she goes and hides in the basement.
IMG_0409.jpg

What a beauty. Who's that hiding in the background?

This thread is making my heart bleed. I'm a dog lover and I have cats.... I'm now looking for a Red Dobie, by far my favorite dog and if he's(or she's) half as good as Feller or Ludi was then I will be very happy.

Gee, so much motivation in this forum :)

Those dogs look so mean, but every one I've met was just a great dog.

Yep, the only mean streak in her is if you forget to feed her, and then she just complains with a bark or two. Her tongue is always on the prowl for someone to lick. She's no guard dog, unless they're allergic to dog lick. My boy's Blue Heeler looks even meaner, and he's the same way.

Adrian

This thread is making my heart bleed. I'm a dog lover and I have cats.... I'm now looking for a Red Dobie, by far my favorite dog and if he's(or she's) half as good as Feller or Ludi was then I will be very happy.

Gee, so much motivation in this forum :)

When I was in high school, my neighbor had a Doberman named Queen. She liked to smile. I worked in his bodyshop. At times, I'd be there working alone with Queenie, when someone would pull in. I'd have Queen heal and smile until I was sure everything was ok. I miss her.

Oscar Pendragon ... aka "Oscar the Rocket Dog" ... attends most of the ROCK and NEFAR launches with us.

-- Roger

This is my other puppy, Carmen. She's a 4 1/2 month old Yellow Labrador and time will tell how much she likes rockets.

They get along pretty well and both LOVE guns, so I hope they are at least tolerant with the launchings to come.

What does he think of the Rock-topus?

Dunno ... but, he's a big fan of the Akavish! :)

Actually, he doesn't pay much attention to the rockets. He doesn't even seem to be interested in the other dogs that are often at the NEFAR launch. He does enjoy seeing the people, especially some of the kids.

-- Roger

The only thing they like about rockets is turning them into chew toys---Digger and Sammy----100_2219.jpg

This is my other puppy, Carmen. She's a 4 1/2 month old Yellow Labrador and time will tell how much she likes rockets.

They get along pretty well and both LOVE guns, so I hope they are at least tolerant with the launchings to come.

Those labby pups are adorable. Then they grow up into adorable labby dogs. Our other dog, Lacey is a black lab that we got from Central Indiana Lab Rescue (CILRA).

Our first CILRA dog, Lilly, was the smartest dog I've ever seen. She either understood every word I said, or she was darn good at guessing. She dies of cancer at 5 years old. Took her to Perdue University Animal Hospital with a blank check to do everything possible to save her. When we picked her up, she was so full of morphine she didn't recognise me.

We had the vet come out to our house to put her out of her misery. I was holding her when she drew her last breath. I could see in her eyes that she came back to us for a minute right before the end. I really miss her.

A few weeks later we received a box from Purdue. In it was a plaster cast of Lilly's paw print. That was 7 years ago and that paw print still brings a tear to my eye.

We took our second CILRA pup to the vet to have her fixed, and when we picked her up, the vet told us that CILRA took care of all the bills.

Last edited:
When I was in high school, my neighbor had a Doberman named Queen. She liked to smile. I worked in his bodyshop. At times, I'd be there working alone with Queenie, when someone would pull in. I'd have Queen heal and smile until I was sure everything was ok. I miss her.

Feller was huge for a Doberman. A big Dobie is usually 90 pounds, Feller was 120.... I got 2 stories about him. My sister brought one of her boyfriends over to Thanksgiving dinner. He acted kinda suprised when I told him he was a Dobie. Said he thought it was a Weimeriner or something like that. I grabbed Fellers upper lips and peeled them back showing teeth that looked like they belonged on a shark. Never seen anyones eyes get so big :D If Feller didn't trust someone he'd sit between them and my grandma, just looking at them with a fixed stare, dareing them to do something. Damn he was a good dog ;)

Thought of one more. He got away one day and ran down the neighbors duck, all you could see was head, wings, and feet. Feller ran back around the fence and headed out back. When I caught up he was sitting with his head hanging low with the duck still in his mouth looking at me. I said what was probably the most incredable thing I've ever said," Ok, Feller, drop the duck!" and he did :D

The only thing they like about rockets is turning them into chew toys---Digger and Sammy----View attachment 157829

Mine are like that now, with EVERYTHING. I hope they outgrow it!

Those labby pups are adorable. Then they grow up into adorable labby dogs. Our other dog, Lacey is a black lab that we got from Central Indiana Lab Rescue (CILRA).

Our first CILRA dog, Lilly, was the smartest dog I've ever seen. She either understood every word I said, or she was darn good at guessing. She dies of cancer at 5 years old. Took her to Perdue University Animal Hospital with a blank check to do everything possible to save her. When we picked her up, she was so full of morphine she didn't recognise me.

We had the vet come out to our house to put her out of her misery. I was holding her when she drew her last breath. I could see in her eyes that she came back to us for a minute right before the end. I really miss her.

A few weeks later we received a box from Purdue. In it was a plaster cast of Lilly's paw print. That was 7 years ago and that paw print still brings a tear to my eye.

We took our second CILRA pup to the vet to have her fixed, and when we picked her up, the vet told us that CILRA took care of all the bills.

I had a lab mix (Niki) that died on her own 4 years ago. It was the first dog I had to bury. I cried the whole time.
My purebreed Black Labrador (Anna) just wouldn't go, her mind was there but she was so full of arthritis just getting up off the floor was a major effort for her. She was 14 1/2 when I had her put down last September. Like you, the Vet came to my house and I held her while she slipped away. It's been 3 months and my eyes are still tearing up as I write this. 14 1/2 years is an incredible run for a lab, but it was still the hardest thing I've ever had to do. She is buried in the back yard next to my half breed Niki. I have a granite marker for Niki, still need to order one for Anna.

I thought I would be done with dogs at that point, but I only went a few days with an empty house before I knew I wanted another dog. My wife is retired and home all day, it was very lonely for her without the dogs. So the yellow one came first and the chocolate followed a week later.

The various types of labs...

labs.jpg

Tony

I'm sure my two new ones will act more like the one in the lower right corner. My black one did!

Back