Does LDRS ever come down South?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just A FYI

DAllen wrote:

"I was so impressed with the TNT organization last year at Airfest I would make every effort I possibly can to make it to a LDRS that TNT hosts".

The Texas Compound at Airfest is a collaborative effort of Tripoli North Texas and Tripoli Houston. Invites are sent to all of the Texas Tripoli clubs to participate in the compound. That way we can keep all of the rowdy Texans in one place but all at Airfest are welcome :)

Just A FYI

DAllen wrote:

"I was so impressed with the TNT organization last year at Airfest I would make every effort I possibly can to make it to a LDRS that TNT hosts".

The Texas Compound at Airfest is a collaborative effort of Tripoli North Texas and Tripoli Houston. Invites are sent to all of the Texas Tripoli clubs to participate in the compound. That way we can keep all of the rowdy Texans in one place but all at Airfest are welcome :)

Ahh yes. I forgot about that little tidbit. 2 clubs working together means them Texan's are even more organized than I remember because getting 2 orgs to collaborate together so well can be a PITA...

Even more reason to make the trek to Texas should either/both decide to host an LDRS. ;)

It doesn’t move on its own. Tripoli Prefectures bid to have LDRS. The Tripoli board is extremely eager to receive bids. Unfortunately very few bid.
So each year we get complaints that Tripoli doesn’t have it “out east” or “down south” or “up north” or “far enough west”, as if it’s a bias against a region. It’s simple; if you want it, put in a bid. We would love to get more bids.
It is true. LDRS is a lot of work. We have hosted NSL quite a few times. Now, the NAR helps with some of it by publicizing, selling tickets, and other things. We have a great site but a small club - 30 members. Tough to manage a large launch without significant help.

It is true. LDRS is a lot of work. We have hosted NSL quite a few times. Now, the NAR helps with some of it by publicizing, selling tickets, and other things. We have a great site but a small club - 30 members. Tough to manage a large launch without significant help.

This is exactly why I encourage everyone who attends these events to volunteer for a shift of range duty.

No local club is big enough to do it on their own - they need volunteers. If everyone who attends takes one range duty slot, things will be covered.

More than once I've attended a launch, not flown a single rocket, but have signed up for range duty. Why? Because it helps and it's fun to chat with folks as they come through.

-Kevin

This is exactly why I encourage everyone who attends these events to volunteer for a shift of range duty.

No local club is big enough to do it on their own - they need volunteers. If everyone who attends takes one range duty slot, things will be covered.

More than once I've attended a launch, not flown a single rocket, but have signed up for range duty. Why? Because it helps and it's fun to chat with folks as they come through.

-Kevin

It might be feasible with several clubs colaborated.

It might be feasible with several clubs colaborated.

If you're even contemplating it, I'd suggest reaching out to the Board - I'm sure they would happily put you in contact with someone who's been an LDRS Launch Director and who can give you ideas on what they think are important to plan for. Probably also give you an idea of how big of a committed group you need up front. From there, you can figure out feasibility.

-Kevin

If you're even contemplating it, I'd suggest reaching out to the Board - I'm sure they would happily put you in contact with someone who's been an LDRS Launch Director and who can give you ideas on what they think are important to plan for. Probably also give you an idea of how big of a committed group you need up front. From there, you can figure out feasibility.

-Kevin

If I were going to contemplate it, I would first attend one somewhere else.

Past event locations:
https://rocketry.fandom.com/wiki/LDRS
Event NumberLocationDatesHost PrefectureNotes
1Medina, Ohio24-25 July, 1982
2Medina, Ohio1983
3Medina, Ohio1984
4Medina, Ohio13-14 July, 1985First Tripoli-sponsored LDRS
5Medina, Ohio1-3 August, 1986
6Hartsel, CO1987
7Hartsel, CO1988
8Hartsel, CO1989
9Hartsel, CO1990
10Black Rock, NV1991
11Black Rock, NV14-16 August, 1992
12Argonia, KS1993KLOUDBusters
13Argonia, KS1994KLOUDBusters
14Black Rock, NV10-14 August, 1995
15Orangeburg, SC1-4 July, 1996
16Hartsel, COAugust 1997
17Wendover, UT6-9 August, 1998
18Argonia, KS1999
19Orangeburg, SC1-4 July, 2000
20Lucerne Valley, CA19-22 July, 2001Rocketry Organization of California
21Wayside, TX11-16 July, 2002
22Argonia, KS17-22 July, 2003KLOUDBusters
23Geneseo, NY1-6 July, 2004
24Lethbridge, AB14-19 July, 2005First LDRS outside of United States
25Wayside, TX29 June-4 July, 2006
26Jean, NV12-17 July, 2007
27Argonia, KS28 Aug-2 Sept, 2008KLOUDBusters
28Potter, NY2-6 July, 2009
29Lucerne Valley, CA10-15 June, 2010Rocketry Organization of California
30Argonia, KS1-6 Sept, 2011
31Potter, NY12-16 July, 2012Upstate Research Rocketry Group (URRG) and CATO Rocketry Club
32Black Rock, NV18-22 July, 2013Tripoli Gerlach
33Kansasville, WI17-20 July, 2014Tripoli Wisconsin
34Potter, NY26-30 June, 2015Upstate Research Rocketry Group (URRG) and CATO Rocketry Club
35Lucerne Valley, CA8-12 June, 2016Rocketry Organization of Californiawebsite: ldrs35.wordpress.com
36Church Hill, MD6-9 April, 2017Tripoli Marylandwebsite: tripoli-tampa.com/ldrs-36.html
37Helm, CA16-20 May, 2018Tripoli Central California (TCC)website: ldrs37.org
38Argonia, KS29 Aug-2 Sept, 2019KLOUDBusters
39Wendover, UT29 July - August 1, 2021Utah Rocket ClubPostponed from 29 July -
August 2, 2020 due to COVID-19 pandemic
40Lucerne Valley, CAJune 9-12, 2022Rocketry Organization of California

Come out and join me at AirFest this year! It's not LDRS, but it sure does get run like one - the only things not there are TRATech, the banquet and the Board stuff. You'll get a great view in how a large launch is run and run well.

You can come work Away RSO with me, too!

-Kevin

The year before the Utah Rocket Club was most recently selected as host, several of us went out to Argonia to watch them host it. Neil Baker shadowed Bob Brown for a day. I had attended AirFest enough times that I’m sure our planning team really tired of hearing me say, “this is what they do in Argonia.” But seriously, nobody runs a launch better than Kloudbusters (although I like to believe we came pretty close).

Back