Does LDRS ever come down South?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conneryc

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just wondering if LDRS ever happens down south (Texas). Seems like the HP launch site for Tripoli North Texas (TNT) has plenty of open space and altitude waivers.

Just wondering if LDRS ever happens down south (Texas). Seems like the HP launch site for Tripoli North Texas (TNT) has plenty of open space and altitude waivers.
It doesn’t move on its own. Tripoli Prefectures bid to have LDRS. The Tripoli board is extremely eager to receive bids. Unfortunately very few bid.
So each year we get complaints that Tripoli doesn’t have it “out east” or “down south” or “up north” or “far enough west”, as if it’s a bias against a region. It’s simple; if you want it, put in a bid. We would love to get more bids.

It doesn’t move on its own. Tripoli Prefectures bid to have LDRS. The Tripoli board is extremely eager to receive bids. Unfortunately very few bid.
So each year we get complaints that Tripoli doesn’t have it “out east” or “down south” or “up north” or “far enough west”, as if it’s a bias against a region. It’s simple; if you want it, put in a bid. We would love to get more bids.

Just out of curiosity, what would be the minimum suggested launch ceiling for a site?

There are plenty of other conditions that factor into site selection, but I'm just curious about the ceiling.

Just out of curiosity, what would be the minimum suggested launch ceiling for a site?

There are plenty of other conditions that factor into site selection, but I'm just curious about the ceiling.
We don’t really set a minimum. This year the hosts had 12k and from all accounts had a wonderful time anyway. Experienced flyers come to LDRS prepared to fly the field, including the altitudes allowed. A lot of fun can be had with a 5,000 foot waiver. Suddenly it’s not about the altitude and you start to see other interesting designs.

Just north of Texas is AIRFest in Argonia Kansas. Many LDRS have been held there as AIRFest is like an LDRS anyway.
Alast, I can't travel like I used to and miss them.

As Steve said it goes to where the bids are. Everyone wants LDRS to be nearby but when it’s suggested and work has to be done they disappear.
So it ends up going to the same locations.

Waiver doesn’t need to be high, flyers will bring something suitable for conditions. Those looking to go high go to Airfest or BALLS.

It was held in Amarillo in 1995 I believe. Great BBQ at the pub across from my hotel. Long drive from Toronto, but worth it.

I asked one of the head club members at the last launch if they were interested in hosting, and he said, NO
That's not surprising actually, most clubs are run by a very small cadre of reliable volunteers in some cases 5 or less (my club TCR is pretty much run by 4 people plus a few regular volunteers). Running a launch the size of LDRS requires a bit larger cast of volunteers to keep everything running smooth and to deal with operational and safety issues asap.

LDRS 21 (2002) and 25 (2006) were held by POTROCS at their Wayside site, about 45 minutes south of Amarillo, Texas. According to this webpage:

https://rocketry.fandom.com/wiki/LDRS
those were the only ones held in Texas.

Tony
I just checked another website, that notes LDRS was held in Amarillo, TX in July of 2002. I remember the 30 hour drive to get there from Toronto, and the 33 hour drive home, and the great BBQ, cols beer and hot on-site temps.
As a Canadian, perhaps Wayside is close to Amarillo and called other than Amarillo, but to the best of my knowledge I was in Amarillo. Maybe my hotel was there but the drive to the launch site took us into Wayside? I really don't remember. I shared a room with Ken Zuner, God Bless him.
It really doesn't matter...

@ZEDL1 – the confusion about the location is easy to understand. The hotels and meetings for LDRS 21 and 25 were in Amarillo, but the launch site itself was near Wayside, TX. Here’s the text from the LDRS 21 website: “Our launch site is located two and one half miles west of Wayside, Texas on Wayside Road, approximately 35 miles southeast of Amarillo, Texas.”

Tony

Last edited:
19 was my first LDRS. I sat by the pool at holiday Inn next to Frank Kosdon and built my first load (38/640 J450) with his direct supervision . Truly a honor I never fully understood at the time. You are missed Frank.
Kewl!

I remember shooting off fireworks in the parking lot of said Holiday Inn, including the Rocketflite stick-rocket that landed on the roof.

Back