Does Estes have new Engine Packages???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup. I contacted them a couple weeks ago about an E16-6 cato event and they sent me a replacement pack of motors and they were in this packaging.

Cool! wait... they do that???!!!
The cato happened a couple months ago, and then one day it dawned on me that I might be able to get them to replace the motors. I sent them some pictures of the cato event, the burnt through motor, and let them know I was not confident in trying the 2nd motor in the pack for fear of another dangerous catastrophic failure. ;-) This was on a Friday night and the replacements were on their way to me first thing Monday morning.

Honey Badger boom 2.png
20230430_190910.jpg

Nice! I am definitely doing that next time I have a cato!!

As I recall during the tour of the Estes facility during NARAM-60, I saw four-five people involved in just packaging the motors.
Perhaps this new packaging is less labor-intensive.

Has anyone seen this packaging associated with smaller than 29mm motors?

It probably seals out humidity better than the paper. Also, I've received many Estes motor packs where the plastic was basically falling off the cardboard. This is probably a lot more secure and probably protects the product a lot better. And might be more efficient, as suggested. As many motors as they make, a few cents per package reduction in cost would still be a yuuuge win. If it's functionally better, it's even yuuuger.

The new packaging will be more store friendly along with possobly cheaper for them. The last few years a number of hobby shops (mine included) would get motors where the plastic blister detached from the cardboard backing. Then had to break out the scotch tape
Mr. Bob
starlightrockets.com

Estes will usually replace motors and the rocket if it is an Estes kit. I had 2 Saturn V's replaced back in the day. I haven't heard that practice has changed.

Estes will usually replace motors and the rocket if it is an Estes kit. I had 2 Saturn V's replaced back in the day. I haven't heard that practice has changed.
As of a few months ago it was still the same. If it is a oop kit they will replace with a similar kit
Mr. Bob
starlightrockets.com

The old packaging did a good job of protecting the motors... and you could actually see the date codes.

Does the new packaging still do / allow for this?

I've seen many packs of motors that fell apart at Hobby Lobby and also in my storage drawer. they need to do something.

Looks like tamper-proof packaging.

The old packaging did a good job of protecting the motors... and you could actually see the date codes.

Does the new packaging still do / allow for this?

I'm worried that the new packaging will prevent being able to spot a damaged nozzle, or clay cap, before purchase.

How will vendors act, regarding a return, after that packaging has been opened ?

Also, I'm concerned about the "environment" inside that sealed plastic bag ( going from A/C to outdoor heat or Heat to cold outdoor temperatures ) . . . Will "condensation" be an issue, particularly with "repeated cycles", over a few launches, weeks or months apart ?

Dave F.

Last edited:
Sometimes when I open a box or package that has that little bags of those beads in it for moisture I save them. I store some of my motors in a military ammunition box but I need a few more of them for the rest of my motors. I place a couple of those little bag in them to draw away moisture. They are always kept in the house being it’s climate controlled anyways. On humid days I won’t take them out because to much moisture in the air can swell up the motors or motor mounts.

On the other hand with Estes new packaging they really need to find a way to make better motors that have a much lesser percentage rate for Catos.

507465-c6d60cd4f07a1204fbeb986f6f82de64.data
That looks exactly like the souvenir from my E16-6 CATO.

Took a bunch of pics from different angles of the new packaging.

Attachments

• 20230706_163427.jpg
    20230706_163427.jpg
    809.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230706_163423.jpg
    20230706_163423.jpg
    967 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230706_163415.jpg
    20230706_163415.jpg
    848.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230706_163404.jpg
    20230706_163404.jpg
    944.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230706_163353.jpg
    20230706_163353.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230706_163347.jpg
    20230706_163347.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Took a bunch of pics from different angles of the new packaging.
Good work . . . Nice pics !

That alleviates my concerns about not being able to see the nozzles and clay caps.

Still, the issue of moisture / condensation is unanswered / unresolved, however.

Dave F.

Good work . . . Nice pics !

That alleviates my concerns about not being able to see the nozzles and clay caps.

Still, the issue of moisture / condensation is unanswered / unresolved, however.

Dave F.

Are their issues of moisture or condensation in AeroTech Bags [lets not count those 22 year old ones I have] they really are an issue with the WL white salt formation from 10+ years of storage the FJ and BT motors never seem to have issues.

Are their issues of moisture or condensation in AeroTech Bags [lets not count those 22 year old ones I have] they really are an issue with the WL white salt formation from 10+ years of storage the FJ and BT motors never seem to have issues.

Of course, BP is totally different than APCP . . .

BP + H2O = Destroyed motor

I just noticed the package is not air-tight, at least this one isn't. There are holes through the upper left corner.

Attachments

• 20230706_202513.jpg
    20230706_202513.jpg
    924.4 KB · Views: 0
If they were air tight there could be condensation issues due to temperature variations. But if you think about their previous packing they all had cardboard. So they weren't "air tight" either.

That's good news, from a moisture standpoint.

Which igniters are included ? I couldn't see, in you photo's.
Agreed. I put them into a ziplock but didn't close it all the way. Very humid right now and captured moisture will condense at some point. Gotta keep the powder dry.

I think the igniters are standard for their 29mm motors. They're in a separate package which I'm not going to open now.

If they were air tight there could be condensation issues due to temperature variations. But if you think about their previous packing they all had cardboard. So they weren't "air tight" either.
Right, I was concerned that the new packaging might have been air-tight . . . Thankfully, it is not.

Agreed. I put them into a ziplock but didn't close it all the way. Very humid right now and captured moisture will condense at some point. Gotta keep the powder dry.

I think the igniters are standard for their 29mm motors. They're in a separate package which I'm not going to open now.

Are the starters in that bag on the right that is still sealed and have some paper in them?

Back