Digital Camo

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdjsky01

Kim's Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am wanting to do a rocket with a digital camouflage motif. But I am not sure yet how. I am having a hard time finding free vector or raster graphics.
I would paint the rocket gloss white and then print inkjet vinyl to adhere to that.

I have written stickershock. I am afraid though I'll be the one with 'stickershock'. :)

Just a general comment. Really good camo designs can be hard to find for recovery, as you may expect. Get an orange, chartreuse, or other contrasting color parachute.

I've got a couple camo birds and have lost one that I painted pretty well.

Just a general comment. Really good camo designs can be hard to find for recovery, as you may expect. Get an orange, chartreuse, or other contrasting color parachute.

Yes. I almost lost 4 inch Little John I did in a green, brown and black digital camo. Two of us walked past it several times before someone walked between the nose cone and body and got tangled in the shock cord. The parachute on that flight was a light green so even that blended.

One more reason I hate flying at BONG.

Once when we went up to Canada to fly a person wrapped their rocket in wood grain contact paper. That thing was very hard to see. I saw it lying on the brown grass and it blended in amazingly well. When I got back to the flight line someone was paging for anyone who might have seen it. I told the owner where I saw it. When I saw him the next day he still hadn’t found it.
I paint all my rockets dayglo colors. Cool is one thing, but losing a rocket because of cool isn’t so cool.

The search for vinyl turned up quite a bit. Most are meant for car covering. So you can get a 12" wide sample, or many feet wide, which gets expensive fast.
What was sorta more shocking the lack of free large (say > 1024px) images for printing my own.
Still I order a sample of vinyl from Amazon. Only a 12" (30cm) x 60" (150cm) long piece. 12" will not quite wrap a 4 inch tube. But one could cover that missing vinyl with a "Wiring Tunnel" painted black.

I have a 4" AGM-33 that I painted roughly sky blue and hazy white as "air camo". It tends to disappear above 2000' unless there's a smoke trail. The white does a pretty good job breaking up the sky colors.

IMG_0504.JPG

Jeff checkout Metro.
They sell by the foot and have about any camo pattern you could want. I use there wrap material daily as I wrap vehicles. If you order any of their printed wrap, get Avery over 3M. 3M material has gone downhill over the last few years.

I’d make sure the wrap is on throughly well. I had a rocket last year where the camo wrap was completely torn off the rocket under thrust. Camo is a really easy paint job, if you go that direction. A couple examples here

Attachments

• E74758F6-A299-4C6F-96A7-8949D3E18631.jpeg
    E74758F6-A299-4C6F-96A7-8949D3E18631.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 8ADAEA62-C402-4632-B463-1E867FE37CA4.jpeg
    8ADAEA62-C402-4632-B463-1E867FE37CA4.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I’d make sure the wrap is on throughly well. I had a rocket last year where the camo wrap was completely torn off the rocket under thrust. Camo is a really easy paint job, if you go that direction. A couple examples here
If it is wrap vinyl and not calendared vinyl, you need to post heat the vinyl after install. It has to be heated between 165 and 190 degrees (depending on manufacture) to set the glue. Also depends on what the surface finish is to, as wrap vinyl is design to work with the surface tension of a painted vehicle.

I am wanting to do a rocket with a digital camouflage motif. But I am not sure yet how. I am having a hard time finding free vector or raster graphics.
I would paint the rocket gloss white and then print inkjet vinyl to adhere to that.

I have written stickershock. I am afraid though I'll be the one with 'stickershock'. :)
My Estes Patriot is called “never paint a rocket green”. My V2 camo was done the poor man’s method. Paint, tape, paint, tape etc. You cut out different patches and apply them. Takes awhile but you have a custom camo.

The Osiris MPM upscale above was done using cans. It's original little brother from The Launch Pad was done using an airbrush. However DIGITAL camo seems to me to be a fool's errand manually. I mean 100s or 1000s of little squares? That be quite a stencil!

Here is what I did so far, buy a sample 12x12 sheet of a digital camouflage pattern. Scan it. Then into photoshop. By selecting by color I can flood fill the selected areas with the color I want. While I have yet to print it on Vinyl, (letter size sheets), its looking not too bad. (This was mostly black and dark green beforehand.)

RedWhiteBlack-Camo copy.jpg

Of course its not exactly a repeating pattern when mated to another sheet of the same.
Now I have to figure out how to use this in open rocket.
Maybe I'll go Ukraine colors?

Back