Differences

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketman35

Reaction score
The only motors i am fimilar with are Estes engines. I was looking at different manufactures of rocket kits such as LOC but noticed they used very different motor numbers. G's etc. Now is this just the progression from where estes leaves off...C-D-E's.
What do the motors that LOC uses look like compaired to estes engines?
newbie, so take it easy on me for the dumb questions :)

TIA
Chuck

Originally posted by Rocketman35
The only motors i am fimilar with are Estes engines. . . . . What do the motors that LOC uses look like compaired to estes engines?

They are bigger, longer, and some people say they are more sexy. And more expensive.

To get some practice on what it is like to use F and G and H motors, do the following:
1) open your billfold
2) remove all the green (and peach) papers
3) burn them
When this exercise is no longer painful, then you are ready to begin mid- and high-power.

In the mean time, you will be able to fly all day with A-B-C-D motors on what one G or H costs.

Originally posted by powderburner
They are bigger, longer, and some people say they are more sexy. And more expensive.

To get some practice on what it is like to use F and G and H motors, do the following:
1) open your billfold
2) remove all the green (and peach) papers
3) burn them
When this exercise is no longer painful, then you are ready to begin mid- and high-power.

In the mean time, you will be able to fly all day with A-B-C-D motors on what one G or H costs.

LOL!!!!!!!!!! That is too funny (but true)

LOL, I love this thread... Remember, as the letters go up, they double in power each time. So an E is double the power of D. Two Es make an F, etc. Strength of your rocket will become more a factor as you go up in motor size.

I love the analogy of burning the green pieces of paper to see how it feels. Welcome to the forum. :D

Its not just burning money for the motors either. Do you know the pain that occurs every April 15th(income tax day)? Well when you get to H, I, J and up you get to give the federal and state government money for nothing in return other than the priviledge to burn even more money and kill trees to maintain documentation that they will glance at one a year at best. Oh and thats only if they ever get around to processing your paper work for your leup. I been told rocketry is not high on the ATFEs priority list as we are not seen as a real threat. (at least the field agents understand - its a shame their bosses in Washington can't come to the same understanding) Once you get to L2 and beyond its welcome to High Power Rocketry - open your wallet please!!
Just remember that the roar and cloud of smoke is dirrectly proportional to the dollars expended. Hmmm it does seem that the scale is rather logrithmic though with $ expended increasing more quickly than smoke and noise. There must be an anguish factor in there that I missing :)

I might be branded as a scumball, but I like watching the big engines get lit at club events. All it costs me is my range use fee. Everyone else spends $$$ and I get a thrill out of watching.

Of course, most of owners of the big rockets that I talk to have one or more of the following traits.
1. Single
2. No kids of college or pre college age
3. No or very low mortgage payments
4. No student loans to pay off.
5. Did I say single and no kids?:D

But they are so cool to watch!

yeppers...those auxillary items like girlfriends,wifes,kids,etc can sure be expensive......

heheheheheh

Maddog, You moocher.... :) jk

Lately Ive been focusing less on launching and more on taking pictures. It is quite fun to see other peoples reaction to successful launches. It is equally as fun (in a sadistic way) to see the reaction of a CATO or lawn dart and then think to yourself, "Wow, glad it wasn't my $200." :D

Back