difference between estes E and Beam Luncher

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KINGZ

Reaction score
I was just wondering what makes the differance between the Estes "E Launch Controller" and "Beam Launch Controller" other than a few feet more wire.

You'll get used to seeing this after a while...

< shredvector>
What did Estes say when you called them?
< /shredvector>

But you are right; the only real difference is that the wires are 30' (vs. ~17'). It still uses 4 AA batteries. With E impulse, the safe distance from the pad is 30'.

From the NAR Safety Code:
Launch Safety. I will use a countdown before launch, and will ensure that everyone is paying attention and is a safe distance of at least 15 feet away when I launch rockets with D motors or smaller, and 30 feet when I launch larger rockets.

The E controller also uses heavier wire (I think), which is good for more power and longer distances, but with only 4AA batteries it probably won't make much difference.

You can replace the wire on your regular controller with 30' of 18 gauge speaker wire very easily, just cut off the old wire and splice on the new one (soldering would be best). Better yet, build your own controller with a better battery, like a NiCd pack or a small lead acid battery.

Yeah, I the E launcher has thicker and longer wires. Thicker wires increase the efficiency for less loss of power.

Back