Designing rocket parts with varying density materials in Open Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sukaran Gulati ji

Reaction score
hi guys!
I am using Open Rocket to design a rocket nose cone with two materials. I don't find the way to do that. Any suggestions???

Thanks,
Sukaran

Being a free tool designed with hobbyists in mind, OpenRocket is tailored to existing commercial materials and parts. Like others wrote, you may be able to "fake it" by combing parts in unusual ways. The other way would be to take the average density of the two parts and design one part with that average density.

Initially, I did it the same way you tell. But the fact is that it is difficult to design it in pieces by keeping it the same dimensions. In other words, I would like to shift the filling material and its composition in throughout the nose cone without really changing the dimensions of the cone, so that I could give stability to the rocket by shifting the centre of gravity of the rocket.

You can just add a mass component to the cone or you can override the nose cone weight and CG (there is a override tab for this). While it’s nice to have OR calculate weight and CG for you, once you built it you should be taking actual measurements anyway and updating your rocket accordingly.

You can just add a mass component to the cone or you can override the nose cone weight and CG (there is a override tab for this). While it’s nice to have OR calculate weight and CG for you, once you built it you should be taking actual measurements anyway and updating your rocket accordingly.
Right. CP is based on the shape, which OR can handle well with equations. CG can be measured after the rocket is built by loading it and balancing it. Use a stage override to set your actual CG. You can also do a mass override to set the actual mass.

Open a component... Just under the component name, you'll see some options... One of them is "Override". Click on that tab, and you'll have two options... "Override mass", and "Override CG". Tick the box for "mass" and enter your value (you can change your units to match your preference if needed). Close the window, and your mass has been updated.

upload_2019-3-3_21-43-13.png

Last edited:
Back